Transfer: Summer transfers rumors and bickering

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Tagliafico's better

Tagliafico doesn't have the crossing and playmaking abilities of Jordi Alba. Not sure he is worse than Jordi in any other aspect, though. Dude is a true warrior.

Arsenal is now also interested, I read this morning. But it seems Real is pushing hard as they want him to be their new #1 LB.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
For those who think football doesn't exist outside the EPL, sure ;)

I think he meant that Mendy is never healthy.

Unless Healthy Mendy=Ferland Mendy?

Tagliafico doesn't have the crossing and playmaking abilities of Jordi Alba. Not sure he is worse than Jordi in any other aspect, though. Dude is a true warrior.

Arsenal is now also interested, I read this morning. But it seems Real is pushing hard as they want him to be their new #1 LB.

Apparently Arsenal made an offer.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Marcelo and Alba are probably better, but I take Robbo over anyone else, especially in Klopp's system. It's interesting but while most people consider fullback to be the least important position it really does make a difference when you have high quality ones (ie. Alexander-Arnold and Robertson vs. the alternative). Liverpool needs to address the depth there, IMO, so they're not trotting Milner and Gomez out there even if they are serviceable to an extent. I don't think Klopp thinks about it much but there's a vast difference when the team plays with Trent/Robertson and any other combination.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Of course he meant Mendy was never healthy and I reminded him that life exists outside the EPL and Mendy was healthy before signing with City ;)

Ferland is talented, especially offensively, but is nowhere near the top 5 LB for now. Down the line maybe, but he has a lot to learn defensively. A good coach could turn him into a machine though.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Marcelo and Alba are probably better, but I take Robbo over anyone else, especially in Klopp's system. It's interesting but while most people consider fullback to be the least important position it really does make a difference when you have high quality ones (ie. Alexander-Arnold and Robertson vs. the alternative). Liverpool needs to address the depth there, IMO, so they're not trotting Milner and Gomez out there even if they are serviceable to an extent. I don't think Klopp thinks about it much but there's a vast difference when the team plays with Trent/Robertson and any other combination.
Of course you do.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Of course he meant Mendy was never healthy and I reminded him that life exists outside the EPL and Mendy was healthy before signing with City ;)

Ferland is talented, especially offensively, but is nowhere near the top 5 LB for now. Down the line maybe, but he has a lot to learn defensively. A good coach could turn him into a machine though.
I totally got what you were saying. It's all good! Healthy Mendy is great but that player rarely exists now. I think healthy Mendy has the highest ceiling, as an attacking LB but I have to ask, what are your thoughts on Robertson? I'm obviously biased but it is a pleasure watching him every week. Had a slight form dip earlier in the month but showing signs of getting back to a high level.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

I totally got what you were saying. It's all good! Healthy Mendy is great but that player rarely exists now. I think healthy Mendy has the highest ceiling, as an attacking LB but I have to ask, what are your thoughts on Robertson? I'm obviously biased but it is a pleasure watching him every week. Had a slight form dip earlier in the month but showing signs of getting back to a high level.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Robertson is having a great season on a team that is having a great season. To establish oneself though you have to prove it in some difficuly though IMO.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Robertson is having a great season on a team that is having a great season. To establish oneself though you have to prove it in some difficuly though IMO.
Define difficulty? I don't see how Mendy (for example) has had a harder path than Robertson by any metric. If Virgil wasn't have the kind of season that he is having, everyone would be talking about Robertson, who has been incredible since winning a spot in the lineup.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Define difficulty? I don't see how Mendy (for example) has had a harder path than Robertson by any metric. If Virgil wasn't have the kind of season that he is having, everyone would be talking about Robertson, who has been incredible since winning a spot in the lineup.

It's not like Robbo has had a cake walk either. Last season he didn't even make the bench for the first third of the season and had to work his butt of to even make the squad, since then he's never looked back. Not going to go into who is the best but I couldn't be happier with him, very good allround and perfect fit for Liverpool and Klopp.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Liverpool is walking on everyone. That's what I mean.
Mendy had an amazing season with OM. They finished out of CL, but he was amazing. Then he moved to Monaco and had a wonder year. His games with City are mostly high quality.
It's been 4 years that when Mendy plays (under 3 different teams) he's great.
Robertson has to prove he can do it either with another team or at least in another team form.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Liverpool is walking on everyone. That's what I mean.
Mendy had an amazing season with OM. They finished out of CL, but he was amazing. Then he moved to Monaco and had a wonder year. His games with City are mostly high quality.
It's been 4 years that when Mendy plays (under 3 different teams) he's great.
Robertson has to prove he can do it either with another team or at least in another team form.
Eh I don't know about that. Messi's only been on Barcelona, but no one is saying he needs to prove it with another team

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
I don't know. Robertson has had to play at a few different levels and has proven at each level that he's capable of playing at the next. I wouldn't call him the best LB in the world but does he need to go back to Hull City and maintain this form to be considered definitely-not-flukey good?

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
I don't know. Robertson has had to play at a few different levels and has proven at each level that he's capable of playing at the next. I wouldn't call him the best LB in the world but does he need to go back to Hull City and maintain this form to be considered definitely-not-flukey good?

This all started with someone implying Robertson is one of the best.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Erh, did I say that? I said he needs to play on a team that is not walking on everyone. Not on another club.

Messi is still great when Barcelona isn't performing. Heck, his game at Sevilla just the other day.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo

I like Tagliafico a lot ever since his Independiente days, but was just joking with D2M I don't think he's the best LB in the world. He's pretty good, though. Not sure if Madrid should go after him, Reguilon looks like the real deal. If Marcelo leaves for Juve, a swap with Alex Sandro would make sense for them. Also could see Alex Sandro going to PSG if Marcelo indeed goes to Juve.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad