Feb 6, 2018
Canada
What is next?

Team 4s and team 8s line dancing? lol

3 man gritty …….:laugh:

1722299246754.gif

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I remember reading during the Sochi Olympics that the athlete village turns into a giant f***-fest for athletes after they've competed. It was made worse (better?) because of the fact it was the first games after Tinder became a thing, making it super simple for athletes to find each other to hook up

I've even read that the cardboard beds in Paris are specifically designed to be impossible for sex

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I remember reading during the Sochi Olympics that the athlete village turns into a giant f***-fest for athletes after they've competed. It was made worse (better?) because of the fact it was the first games after Tinder became a thing, making it super simple for athletes to find each other to hook up

I've even read that the cardboard beds in Paris are specifically designed to be impossible for sex

France has fallen...

The Bastille has returned... made of cardboard....

Reactions: sipowicz

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I think we’re the only ones watching the actual athletes lol
Can’t find a positive thread anywhere these days, why I hardly stay on this board.

I have been watching the games at night when I get home. Very impressed with the 7’s rugby women pulling off that win vs France late. I enjoy watching the athletes compete. I have always marked out for people dedicating themselves to something to this extreme.

The politics and IOC grift is obviously the dark side of it all but I just focus on the athletes.

hockeyarena

Aug 11, 2011
Winnipeg
www.hockeyarena.net

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016

Christa Deguchi picks up our first gold in Paris, and Canada's first ever Olympic Gold in judo.

With multiple medals in Tokyo and now our first ever Olympic gold, we are entering into our golden age (no pun intended) for Canadian judo.

Interesting to note about Deguchi is her father is from Winnipeg. Born and raised in Japan, and formerly of the Japanese national team, Deguchi switched to Canada a few years ago as it's easier to qualify for the Olympics through Canada.

In 2020 she missed the Olympics as another former world #1 in Jessica Klimkait won Canada's spot in the -57kg category and went on to win bronze.

Klimkait isn't at the Olympics this year, but Catherine Beachemin-Pinard, who won an upset bronze in Tokyo and later won silver at the Worlds in 2022 will be favored to win a medal in women's -63.

Arthur Margelidon (lost his bronze match in Tokyo, men's -73), François Gauthier-Drapeau (won Pan Ams last year and lost his bronze match at Worlds, making his Olympic debut, men's -81) and Shady Elnahas (lost his bronze match in Tokyo, three-time defending Pan Am Champ and silver medalist at the Worlds last year, men's -100) all have decent shots at medaling, too.
Margelidon ended up losing in the quarterfinals. After missing Rio due to injury and at 30 years old, this was likely his last Olympics. Feel bad for the guy.

Gauthier-Drapeau hits the tatami tomorrow, facing off against Portugal in round one. I’m expecting he’ll make it to the quarters, anything after that is gravy, but hopefully he can reach that podium.

Beauchemin-Pinard has a shot at gold tomorrow. Will be keeping an eye on her matches while at work.

Elnahas will be fighting on Thursday.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Margelidon ended up losing in the quarterfinals. After missing Rio due to injury and at 30 years old, this was likely his last Olympics. Feel bad for the guy.

Gauthier-Drapeau hits the tatami tomorrow, facing off against Portugal in round one. I’m expecting he’ll make it to the quarters, anything after that is gravy, but hopefully he can reach that podium.

Beauchemin-Pinard has a shot at gold tomorrow. Will be keeping an eye on her matches while at work.

Elnahas will be fighting on Thursday.
Gauthier-Drapeau won his first two fights by Ippon (full score) before losing to an Italian in the quarterfinals in OT by a penalty (three penalties in judo results in a disqualification, which is what happened here). Gauthier-Drapeau was probably favoured to win here, he was ranked quite a bit higher.

This loss put him up against the world number 1 in the repechage — winner advances to the bronze medal match, but he lost in OT by pin. Still a good showing for his first Olympics.

Beauchemin-Pinard (the world #2 in her category) received a bye into the round of 16 for being a high seed, which she won. She lost in the quarterfinals to the two-time World Championship runner-up. She lost to the World Bronze medalist in the repechage. Disappointing day for her, she had much higher expectations.

Elnahas, the world number 3 in his category, also has a bye to the round of 16. His pool is relatively “easy,” as easy as an Olympic competition could be, at least. He’s heavily favoured to make it to the medal rounds, is my point.

He’s in Pool D, Pool C will be a bloodbath with Aaron Wolf (defending Olympic champion from Japan), and Jorge Fonseca of Portugal (former world number 1 who defeated Elnahas for bronze in Tokyo, and a two-time world champion in his own right) are both in it. Also the current world number 2 is in that pool. They’ll likely face off in the quarters and the winner facing Elnahas in the semis, if he makes it there.

The top-ranked guy in the category is in “the far side” of the bracket and wouldn’t face Elnahas until the final.

I also forgot we have someone competing in women’s +78 on Friday. Ana Isasi. Honestly not sure how she ended up at the Olympics as she hasn’t been successful at all internationally in like nine years. I didn’t think she would have the points. She’s ranked #56 in the world and will be in tough to medal. That said, she’s probably favoured in her opening contest against the world #77 but has the world #5 waiting for her with a bye, if she advances.

Last edited:
Reactions: ps241 and macmaroon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad