OT: Summer Olympics

Aphid

Oct 19, 2014
Bunch of cheaters...:sarcasm:

Yeah, pretty disappointing. Doesn't say much about the coaching staff when they have to resort to something like this...:dunno:

This was blown out of proportion by our media and the bad guys took notice. Should they have spied with a drone? No and there should be some form of punishment. I really doubt it would make some big change in the outcome of the games though. Regardless, now the players have to suffer for this moron coach's decision because she gave FIFA/The Olympics, two of the most corrupt sporting organizations in the world, a reason to punish. Six points is ridiculous. Two reasons for that. It was only this harsh because they feel soccer is their game. Not North America's. Secondly, Canada is just an easy target for them to stand on some fake soapbox to attempt to claim how just and fair they are.

A lot of the blame for this punishment goes to hack "journalists" like Westhead. When he covers something, it's always as negative as he can make it. He'll milk it as much as he can and portray it as bad as he can for attention. He feels he is this first glass news guy but in reality he's just some clown. The guy hates the sports he covers and tries to bring them down. TSN is garbage for employing this fool.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I've been anti-olympics for years. The IOC is one of the most corrupt governing bodies on the planet. As much as the idea of identifying the best athletes in the world appeals to me on a certain level, there has to be a way that can do it without the billions of wasted dollars that could be going towards something more productive

I WILL be watching this though lol

Cypruss

Stand up for your beliefs.
Oct 18, 2018
LaSalle, Manitoba
I thought the opening ceremonies were quite putrid, but how they brought the athletes in was unique and fantastic. Not a Celine Dion fan - but she was pure class and made me very proud of her and her performance. Those were the two redeeming items for me at least.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016

Christa Deguchi picks up our first gold in Paris, and Canada's first ever Olympic Gold in judo.

With multiple medals in Tokyo and now our first ever Olympic gold, we are entering into our golden age (no pun intended) for Canadian judo.

Interesting to note about Deguchi is her father is from Winnipeg. Born and raised in Japan, and formerly of the Japanese national team, Deguchi switched to Canada a few years ago as it's easier to qualify for the Olympics through Canada.

In 2020 she missed the Olympics as another former world #1 in Jessica Klimkait won Canada's spot in the -57kg category and went on to win bronze.

Klimkait isn't at the Olympics this year, but Catherine Beachemin-Pinard, who won an upset bronze in Tokyo and later won silver at the Worlds in 2022 will be favored to win a medal in women's -63.

Arthur Margelidon (lost his bronze match in Tokyo, men's -73), François Gauthier-Drapeau (won Pan Ams last year and lost his bronze match at Worlds, making his Olympic debut, men's -81) and Shady Elnahas (lost his bronze match in Tokyo, three-time defending Pan Am Champ and silver medalist at the Worlds last year, men's -100) all have decent shots at medaling, too.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Truth depends upon which client you're acting for.

As for me being disingenuous, I appreciate the compliment. I've long enjoyed Buffdog's contributions here. Agree with him or not (and I usually do), he's a lively poster and helps make this place fun and much more interesting to follow.

And, speaking of being disingenuous, you wrote: "Stumbledore is being more than a little disingenuous with the suggestion that it's only "Republicans, especially in Oklahoma".

NO. I did not say it was only Republicans. I always object when someone accuses me of doing or saying something which I have not done or not said. And, frankly, I say so much stupid shit that it's not like folks need to make stuff up just to call me out. Examine my post closely. Read it several times. Read it a hundred times. Examine it with a magnifying class. You will find that I did NOT use the word "only". YOU invented that.

And, for the record, I'm back under "cardiac supervision" so if you don't hear from me for a while, it's likely NOT because I'm offended or upset or suspended. It might just be for health reasons, or maybe I've just died. Which would be a shame because I've go so many opinions still to share on the Jets.
I'm trying to not derail any more threads, so I'll just thank you for calling me a "lively poster" vs some of the other terms you could have used

If you'd like to win an argument on a technicality (which as a lawyer I'm sure you'd be satisfied with), then yes - you didn't SAY "only republicans"... but you did only say "Republicans". You didn't specifically mention anyone else

Good luck with your ticker

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
So the Olympic organizers didn’t put air conditioners in the athletes rooms in order to save the environment.
And now it’s being reported that the organizers wanted to promote a plant-based diet instead of meat.
Here we have the best athletes in the world competing for something they have worked for for years, and the organizing committee are trying to make a statement?

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
The Olympic Games the embodiment of amateur sports and sportsmanship.
The competition of a country’s best athletes who toil at regular jobs while training countless hours in pursuit of a dream.
THAT train left a long long time ago.
Basically a pro sports, mercenary business where the best cheaters prevail.
Totally lost the plot on the meaning of the Olympic ideals.

bustamente

Fraud Supporter
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
The Olympic Games the embodiment of amateur sports and sportsmanship.
The competition of a country’s best athletes who toil at regular jobs while training countless hours in pursuit of a dream.
THAT train left a long long time ago.
Basically a pro sports, mercenary business where the best cheaters prevail.
Totally lost the plot on the meaning of the Olympic ideals.
Olympic Sport

break-dancing-light-skeleton

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad