Sudbury Wolves 2023-2024 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

FeastYourEyes

Jul 17, 2024
Long time reader and OHL fan, but on the seasoned side so not so great at learning to post on these forums so bear with me
The wolves have made some major mistakes in goal and I think it is time to make that right
They went searching for an overseas savior as that is what worked in the Ukka days. from all accounts you have 2 young goalies who have shown up committed to the club and done all that has been asked of rhem
they brought in the right goalie coach to develop these guys, and a solid defensive minded coaching duo to support them on the player side
I say give them a chance. one was a second round pick and played well for the espanola team last year, time for some development in the north rather than another questionable shopping spree

agillarda

Jan 3, 2024
I'll say this after the upl season I was frustrated they didn't draft a goalie in the first couple rounds. They had Weeks that they took in the U18 draft the year before, traded for purbo(don't think I spelt it right). Can't remember who partnered with Weeks in the dumpster fire season out of covid. Then they traded for Ranger and drafted Krawchuk again in the U18 draft after drafting Gaulton.

I was glad they took Gaulton because it was a step in actually developing a goalie and not waisting assets. Unfortunately Gaulton missed the majority of his age 16 season due to injury. We'll see how his training camp goes this year.

While taking a goalie in the u18 draft has produced ok goalies. Weeks was outstanding in the 21-22 season all things considered. The U18 goalies should only be a stop gap while developing a 16 year old goalie.

I would consider having Gaulton in Espanola if he doesn't make the team and have Beites with the Cubs, they just moved out their starter from last year.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I'll say this after the upl season I was frustrated they didn't draft a goalie in the first couple rounds. They had Weeks that they took in the U18 draft the year before, traded for purbo(don't think I spelt it right). Can't remember who partnered with Weeks in the dumpster fire season out of covid. Then they traded for Ranger and drafted Krawchuk again in the U18 draft after drafting Gaulton.

I was glad they took Gaulton because it was a step in actually developing a goalie and not waisting assets. Unfortunately Gaulton missed the majority of his age 16 season due to injury. We'll see how his training camp goes this year.

While taking a goalie in the u18 draft has produced ok goalies. Weeks was outstanding in the 21-22 season all things considered. The U18 goalies should only be a stop gap while developing a 16 year old goalie.

I would consider having Gaulton in Espanola if he doesn't make the team and have Beites with the Cubs, they just moved out their starter from last year.
beites has committed to st andrews, they ususally try to convince kids to go to school. that was an interesting decision on him.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Just go get Leenders and cough up what it takes problem solved. Can our GM get it done???

yalbmert25

Apr 10, 2016

I think we had to get a commitment from Bronas last year. Kid will be a stud and was probably a top 3 goalie from that draft year. Last cut on USNDT. We should have done everything in our power to get him to sign. The same goes for Jayden Connors who looked like he should have made the team out of camp last year based on his performance. Frustrating to see these young high picks not commit. Recruiting needs to be better.

Reactions: djscooter

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
I think we had to get a commitment from Bronas last year. Kid will be a stud and was probably a top 3 goalie from that draft year. Last cut on USNDT. We should have done everything in our power to get him to sign. The same goes for Jayden Connors who looked like he should have made the team out of camp last year based on his performance. Frustrating to see these young high picks not commit. Recruiting needs to be better.
Really thought those two were two of the top 3 16 year olds in camp along with Jackson last year. Losing them both hurts.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
beites has committed to st andrews, they ususally try to convince kids to go to school. that was an interesting decision on him.
Perhaps the new 16 year old rule regarding goalies in the NOJHL had the Sudbury Cubs go a different direction, not wanting to commit to the 30% game threshold. They still have 2 rostered goalies from last year, even after dealing their starter back to the Soo.

Found the Beites decision to commit to SAC interesting as well.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Perhaps the new 16 year old rule regarding goalies in the NOJHL had the Sudbury Cubs go a different direction, not wanting to commit to the 20 game threshold. They still have 2 rostered goalies from last year, even after dealing their starter back to the Soo.

Found the Beites decision to commit to SAC interesting as well.
i liked beites last year, i would think he could play 20 games in the nojhl without much issue.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
i liked beites last year, i would think he could play 20 games in the nojhl without much issue.
I think so too, but I suppose the team (Cubs) has to be 100% sure about that before they sign him to a card.

Interesting decision either way.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I think so too, but I suppose the team (Cubs) has to be 100% sure about that before they sign him to a card.

Interesting decision either way.
the most direct reasoning would be he wants to go to the ncaa, i dont know that he does, but thats mostly why kids go to that program.

Reactions: Isaac Nootin

Wolf on a Wire

Sep 18, 2022
Great move by the Northern Scout guru Seidel
Way to sewer your buddy
This is what happens when you have two guys who think they are the smartest people in the room! Not the first time Guru Scout leaked private info to Marek, see: Marek breaking the Bounty investigation pre Colts game in Sudbury.

Wolf on a Wire

Sep 18, 2022
this article doesn't say or allege Seidel did anything wrong, to put his name out there without saying what he did is slander to me.
The news article attached makes the nexus between Scout and Marek being dismissed from Sportsnet. The article clearly establishes the relationship between the two. I always wondered how Marek broke the Bounty story before anyone knew of it. With the Colts being the involved team you can draw your own conclusions. Slanderous is a joke. Read the article and connect the dots.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
The news article attached makes the nexus between Scout and Marek being dismissed from Sportsnet. The article clearly establishes the relationship between the two. I always wondered how Marek broke the Bounty story before anyone knew of it. With the Colts being the involved team you can draw your own conclusions. Slanderous is a joke. Read the article and connect the dots.
connect the dots?, most vague story ever read, throws Seidel name in the hat without saying what he did. Reading this article how do you come with these accusations? absolutely says nothing.

Wolf on a Wire

Sep 18, 2022
connect the dots?, most vague story ever read, throws Seidel name in the hat without saying what he did. Reading this article how do you come with these accusations? absolutely says nothing.
Time will tell…

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
ask mark why he only lasted 3 months with the minnesota wild

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad