Sudbury Wolves 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
A good weekend picking up 4 points with a short bench. Injuries starting to pile up. Hopefully all of them can return this Wednesday since we also lose Byfield possibly to the second week of January. Carson also appeared to be playing banged up. What a warrior he has been of late. Have to admit he has upped his game and has become a valuable piece moving forward. I will admit being wrong about swapping him out with another overage player. He will be counted on heading into the playoffs. A true leader on and off the ice! As for Levin and Bulitka they too have been working hard each game and points have been coming along for Levin. Big goals is what we need from him and he hasn't disappointed. Staying healthy is vital for him. Now if Papineau can find some additional players that will be key to adding to the leadership group up front I think this team will be extremely tough to beat. Additional experience... one piece on the defensive end and one or two up front and this will go along way limiting the quality of chances the opponents will get on our goalies. Purboo is among leaders in the league in starts at 26 and in the top 5 for wins. He can be criticized for allowing some soft goals but has rebounded to make some key saves as well. Maybe another goalie to back him up and make some starts will be good for this team heading into the playoffs. Kooey from Sarnia I believe will be the least expensive to acquire out of three or four experienced netminders out there. The Wolves must have a duo that they can be confident in starting or replacing as we get deeper into the season.

Alot of people have been commenting on the lack of picks the Wolves have to make the necesary deals heading into the trade deadline next month. Its widely expected that Papineau will make deals to stregthen the group we already have. An additional import will be key whether its Dahcow who we drafted 1st with our import pick this summer. That would be best case for Sudbury as it will solve some goalie issues without having to give up a player off the roster or picks or even a prospect. If that does not materialize then Sudbury will need to explore Kooey, Ingham or Daws as another option. This will cost us more and could be the difference in making a deal for a Noel, Thomas, Janik, Tucker or even Hillis for that matter. One thing is for sure Papineau is exploring options and could be a reason for an extented scouting mission. With less picks then other contenders such as Ottawa, Peterbourogh and London, Sudbury will need to be creative in how they make moves. Selling off picks for the next two or three seasons isn't all that out of the question when you assess what they have in returning overage players to date and the crop of young talent still unable to find a spot on the roster today.

As it stands Sudbury will have Purboo, Stratis, Serentis, Sammulsson, Robinson, Hutchison and Gilhula to recoup some picks heading into the off season. Then our returning players will be Murray, Thompson, Manikis, Ribeau, Ross, Loponen, Phillips, Biondi, Stillman, McCallum, Larmond, DeGrazia, Smith. Lemaire, Henizle and Weeks. Of course you add three overage players from the list I mentioned and newcomers like Anania, Robinson, Pineau, Beattie, Burke, Gillespie, Butler, Tiveron, Strickland and Vachon. Add in your 1st round pick and possibly another import. Then what is key is the amount of players who are commited to US College which there is always the possibility of one or two decommiting. Savage, McAllister, Mitchell, Aucoin, Labelle and Watson.

But the biggest question will be if Byfield is returned to junior after be selected in the first round of the NHL this June. That could make Sudbury's rebuild a quick one as he would no doubtly be a potential blue chip trade target for whatever contending teams exsist in the 2020-21 season. Or Sudbury could make another push with Byfield returning. Thats what makes this deadine so intriging as Papineau can easily align himself well for the next two seasons with some shrud deals that doesnt see Murray, Phillips, Thompson being dealt. Those three players along with Byfield next year is a tremendous core to work with. Until then the next 8 games possibly without Byfield will give some players the opportunity to step up and maybe as another poster put it, we could see a smaller deal this week to fill the gap until the deadline.

Stay tuned!

WJ

Last edited:
Reactions: Patverbeek

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Big weekend, and solved the Barrie games in hand issue! Barrie with 4 in hand but now 9 points back.

We're now in the driver's seat.

Gotta get it done without Byfield probably for the next month or so.

howlman

Mar 9, 2004
If Ottawa and Peterborough decide to go all in, Wolves are in trouble. Wolves would need to overpay to win the bidding wars on some of these high end players.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Carson also appeared to be playing banged up. What a warrior he has been of late. Have to admit he has upped his game and has become a valuable piece moving forward. I will admit being wrong about swapping him out with another overage player

I accept your apology. I tried to tell you they wouldn’t name him captain then trade him 2 months later....

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
If Ottawa and Peterborough decide to go all in, Wolves are in trouble. Wolves would need to overpay to win the bidding wars on some of these high end players.

No team needs to overpay, and the wolves don’t need to be focused on the priciest player. The wolves will need to trade players to have comparable offers as other contenders.

Reactions: howlman

jwu

Aug 31, 2019
So easy to see you tried a burner account, that jwu burner account miraculously stopped after called it out. lmao

Rookies, Larmand, Ribeau, McCallam plus/minus not better than Stillman's, but he gets called out, your funny.

jwu

Aug 31, 2019
Not a burner account pal, I just haven't had time to post. Not sure what you guys were talking about but I like stillman's game. That was a excellent toe drag he pulled off at high speed yesterday. As for the rest of the rookies, I would like to see "coach" stillman to start using all of them a little more on the wing (RW,LW) and balance out the lineup with actual D-men playing back in there regular positions. This will be more successful in years to come I believe, as these rookie wingers are still all young. They need to play the young guys more (not less) in order to develop there games!!!

howlman

Mar 9, 2004
No team needs to overpay, and the wolves don’t need to be focused on the priciest player. The wolves will need to trade players to have comparable offers as other contenders.

Trade players, and lots of picks to make the upgrades to contend with Ottawa and Peterborough once they make their big moves.

Reactions: Finster8

Sleemans2

Jan 15, 2017
Might not be able to get to another game before the Christmas break due to family commitments so thought I would do a mid year review a little early.

General comments-
  • This team works hard but is not nearly as relentless as last years.
  • Definitely offence oriented and have a balanced lineup. Compared to some rosters goals can come throughout the lineup including the blue line
  • They seem to just lose track of guys in their zone and leave the goalies in the lurch
  • Give up a lot of odd man rushes, the funny thing many times its a forward covering for the defence as one of the outnumbered defenders on the rush
  • Power play should be more productive. They seem to have to really work for their shots and not many one time chances
Goalies
I think three times the goalie that was lifted for lettting in bad goals was put back in the game because the replacement could not stop anything. I am not sure I have seen that three times in my life in ohl and nhl although Mike Keenan probably has done it out of spite. I am also going to say I have plenty of crappy goaltending this year all over the league
Purboo - Generally he has been fine. Seems to be a softie every game. Is getting more confident and has stole a couple
Weeks - needs a confidence boost and thought he was going to get it against Flint as overall he was good that game but still let in 5, although a couple were bullets from open guys. Not sure this combo can take the team far in the playoffs

Defence
Ribau- too limited viewing for a real opinion other than he is adepth guy for 5-10 minutes a game
Samuelsson - has been ok. \I think more valuable on the penalty kill than other circumstances. I was hoping he would be the big shut down guy but I dont think he is
Phillips - he has been OK but not as good as last year. Confidence? I think he will come around
Thompson-really like this kid. Seems to have hit a bit of a plateau. Does not get many shots blocked
Stratis- high risk and high reward. I am OK with him as I only want to strangle him once a game. Too many long passes for my liking but the forwards also do fly the zone quick
Lopenen- can really shoot it. Not sure if he should be quarterbacking the power play. Not a great defender on the rush
Serensits - Solid ohl defender. does nothing really well but does a lot of things good. Great second or third pair guy
Ross - Most improved over last year. Seems to be having fun. Getting more physical. I think he has lost wieght and has increased his flexibility, speed and mobility

Forwards
As a grop their favourite play is to carry the puck the bleline, stop or butoon hook on the boards need the top of the circle, weak cross ice pass to a trailer which turns over to an odd man rush the other way. I am only a little bit sarcastic here/
McCallum - shows signs he will be good player. Can handle the puck, knows where to guy in both ends of the ice. Seems really slight and it makes me laugh when the show him or Stillman pumping their "muscles" on the jumbotron
Carson- really valuable, good third line center, physical presence, leader, penalty killer. I still say once or twice a game it is hard to believe this guy once scored thirty in this league. Wonder what he would have been like if he did not break his wrist
Robinson- I am not sure he is the best to be with Byfield and Murray as he cannot score. His speed does help create open space for others
Bulitika - valuable veteran to have in all situations. Has turned out to be a better player than I thought he would be
Hutcheson- one of my favourites. Is always the first to blow the zone when the their is a chance of a breakaway, has a ton of odd man chances, if he scored on a quarter of his chances he would be a forty goal guy
Larmand-seems to want to be a bit of a crap disturber. Will be interested to see watch his development
Gilhula - starting to live up to his potential until he got hurt. Will be interesting to see how he is when he comes back
Byfield -enjoy him while you can. I am going to nit pick, he seems to be stopping and button hooking a lot to me. I would like to seem him drop the should and drive wide by the defencemen more often. I think they are overplaying his counting to the center and it is not working as much as it was earlier
Stillman- I dont get the hate and criticism of this kid. He is a good rookie, especially for a second rounder and has earned all the ice time he has got. Playing second line minutes, of ocurse right now he is because there are three forwards hurt. Gets power play time. sure second unit about 30 to 40 seconds. He is a good puck handler, is ok in his own zone and is patient with the puck beyond his years. I think he will be a star in the league before he is done.
Levin- wonder what his career would be like if he did not have injuries every year. While not fast his skating has improved, He is not doing his move of slowing at the blue line, spreading his legs and trying to coast around the defencman and getting poke checked. I like it when he plays with a bit of a chip on his shoulder
Manikis- has shown he can play in the league. Would like to see more offence
Murray- seems faster, better in his own end. His shot seems to be getting blocked more.

I know a long post. Comments

Howling In 16

Apr 11, 2012
A good weekend picking up 4 points with a short bench. Injuries starting to pile up. Hopefully all of them can return this Wednesday since we also lose Byfield possibly to the second week of January. Carson also appeared to be playing banged up. What a warrior he has been of late. Have to admit he has upped his game and has become a valuable piece moving forward. I will admit being wrong about swapping him out with another overage player. He will be counted on heading into the playoffs. A true leader on and off the ice! As for Levin and Bulitka they too have been working hard each game and points have been coming along for Levin. Big goals is what we need from him and he hasn't disappointed. Staying healthy is vital for him. Now if Papineau can find some additional players that will be key to adding to the leadership group up front I think this team will be extremely tough to beat. Additional experience... one piece on the defensive end and one or two up front and this will go along way limiting the quality of chances the opponents will get on our goalies. Purboo is among leaders in the league in starts at 26 and in the top 5 for wins. He can be criticized for allowing some soft goals but has rebounded to make some key saves as well. Maybe another goalie to back him up and make some starts will be good for this team heading into the playoffs. Kooey from Sarnia I believe will be the least expensive to acquire out of three or four experienced netminders out there. The Wolves must have a duo that they can be confident in starting or replacing as we get deeper into the season.

Alot of people have been commenting on the lack of picks the Wolves have to make the necesary deals heading into the trade deadline next month. Its widely expected that Papineau will make deals to stregthen the group we already have. An additional import will be key whether its Dahcow who we drafted 1st with our import pick this summer. That would be best case for Sudbury as it will solve some goalie issues without having to give up a player off the roster or picks or even a prospect. If that does not materialize then Sudbury will need to explore Kooey, Ingham or Daws as another option. This will cost us more and could be the difference in making a deal for a Noel, Thomas, Janik, Tucker or even Hillis for that matter. One thing is for sure Papineau is exploring options and could be a reason for an extented scouting mission. With less picks then other contenders such as Ottawa, Peterbourogh and London, Sudbury will need to be creative in how they make moves. Selling off picks for the next two or three seasons isn't all that out of the question when you assess what they have in returning overage players to date and the crop of young talent still unable to find a spot on the roster today.

As it stands Sudbury will have Purboo, Stratis, Serentis, Sammulsson, Robinson, Hutchison and Gilhula to recoup some picks heading into the off season. Then our returning players will be Murray, Thompson, Manikis, Ribeau, Ross, Loponen, Phillips, Biondi, Stillman, McCallum, Larmond, DeGrazia, Smith. Lemaire, Henizle and Weeks. Of course you add three overage players from the list I mentioned and newcomers like Anania, Robinson, Pineau, Beattie, Burke, Gillespie, Butler, Tiveron, Strickland and Vachon. Add in your 1st round pick and possibly another import. Then what is key is the amount of players who are commited to US College which there is always the possibility of one or two decommiting. Savage, McAllister, Mitchell, Aucoin, Labelle and Watson.

But the biggest question will be if Byfield is returned to junior after be selected in the first round of the NHL this June. That could make Sudbury's rebuild a quick one as he would no doubtly be a potential blue chip trade target for whatever contending teams exsist in the 2020-21 season. Or Sudbury could make another push with Byfield returning. Thats what makes this deadine so intriging as Papineau can easily align himself well for the next two seasons with some shrud deals that doesnt see Murray, Phillips, Thompson being dealt. Those three players along with Byfield next year is a tremendous core to work with. Until then the next 8 games possibly without Byfield will give some players the opportunity to step up and maybe as another poster put it, we could see a smaller deal this week to fill the gap until the deadline.

Stay tuned!

WJ

Howling In 16

Apr 11, 2012
So Wolfman Jack, what do you actually think we would recoup in draft picks?... "Sudbury will have Purboo, Stratis, Serentis, Sammulsson, Robinson, Hutchison and Gilhula to recoup some picks heading into the off season."...I think maybe we get a third maybe two thirds and the rest 4ths to 6ths round and some of these guys have very little trade value.

howlman

Mar 9, 2004
So Wolfman Jack, what do you actually think we would recoup in draft picks?... "Sudbury will have Purboo, Stratis, Serentis, Sammulsson, Robinson, Hutchison and Gilhula to recoup some picks heading into the off season."...I think maybe we get a third maybe two thirds and the rest 4ths to 6ths round and some of these guys have very little trade value.

The Wolves can't gamble on Byfield returning next season. He looks like a lock to go No.2 in the NHL draft, and could even challenge for No.1 with a strong showing at the World Juniors and a long playoff run with the Wolves. With that in mind, Wolves need to be buyers this season, and next season sellers. Wolves can move Murray and Phillips next season when they go in sell mode and recoup some good draft picks.

Purboo, Stratis, Serensits, Samuelsson, Robinson, Hutcheson, Gilhula - Three of these guys will be the Wolves OA's next season

I think we'll see Dichow here next season, so Purboo could be moved in the off season for a team looking for an OA goalie. Hard to say what picks we could get in return.

Last edited:

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Whatever we can get i guess. Something is better than nothing. What do you think we should do? Sell??? Stand pat?

WJ

ReLyT

Fantasy Canadian Hockey League Commissioner
Jul 28, 2005
London, Ontario
fantasysimhockey.com
We all agree Byfield is 99% in the NHL next season right?
So what is taking the Wolves so long to push allin?
Will they struggle with the no trade clauses like Peterborough reportedly could struggle with?
You'd think people would want to play infront of scouts. You'd think most NHL teams will be scouting QB. So it should be a good landing spot.
Or is the market just too muddled right now with too many maybe teams?

Reactions: WaW

cub

Apr 11, 2012
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">&quot;He&#39;s a dominating force. He&#39;s one of those players that at the end of the night, he&#39;s a difference maker.&quot;<br><br>Head Coach of the <a href="Sudbury Wolves (@Sudbury_Wolves) | Twitter">@Sudbury_Wolves</a> Cory Stillman joined <a href="#IceSurfing hashtag on Twitter">#IceSurfing</a> to talk about <a href="NHL (@NHL) | Twitter">@NHL</a> draft prospect <a href="Quinton Byfield (@byfield55) | Twitter">@Byfield55</a>. <a href="Sportsnet on Twitter">pic.twitter.com/CXt1C2BIth</a></p>&mdash; Sportsnet (@Sportsnet) <a href="">December 11, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
If anyone is traveling to the Soo tomorrow, mind the snow squall warning that was just issued. Looks like it might be sketchy traveling earlier in the day, but the warning lifts at 3pm. Safe travels.

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
Trade players, and lots of picks to make the upgrades to contend with Ottawa and Peterborough once they make their big moves.

An interesting move for both teams, hear me out, might be Daws for Thompson. Daws will return to the O next year, meeting Sudbury's window and solving (with an exclamation point) their issue in goal. Daws has these numbers with a defense of 16/17 year olds and free agents. Thompson is the same age as Chayka and would solidify Guelph's D for their push in two years.

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
The Wolves can't gamble on Byfield returning next season. He looks like a lock to go No.2 in the NHL draft, and could even challenge for No.1 with a strong showing at the World Juniors and a long playoff run with the Wolves. With that in mind, Wolves need to be buyers this season, and next season sellers. Wolves can move Murray and Phillips next season when they go in sell mode and recoup some good draft picks.

Purboo, Stratis, Serensits, Samuelsson, Robinson, Hutcheson, Gilhula - Three of these guys will be the Wolves OA's next season

I think we'll see Dichow here next season, so Purboo could be moved in the off season for a team looking for an OA goalie. Hard to say what picks we could get in return.

I don't believe Samuelsson is going to be here next year.

Reactions: Iloveallsports

cub

Apr 11, 2012
An interesting move for both teams, hear me out, might be Daws for Thompson. Daws will return to the O next year, meeting Sudbury's window and solving (with an exclamation point) their issue in goal. Daws has these numbers with a defense of 16/17 year olds and free agents. Thompson is the same age as Chayka and would solidify Guelph's D for their push in two years.

I don’t see Thompson has trade bait at this point, he’s one of our better defenceman, I think he is pretty much a hard No if any teams wants to trade for him. We can get a upgrade in goaltending by giving up less.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: yalbmert25

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
I don’t see Thompson has trade bait at this point, he’s one of our better defenceman, I think he is pretty much a hard No if any teams what to trade for him. We can get a upgrade in goaltending by giving up less.

Who would your goalie targets be?

What pairing in Thompson currently on?

cub

Apr 11, 2012
If it’s Daws I don’t see them giving up Thompson, maybe a Philips or Ross. I think they’re other options for goaltending, I wouldn’t mind Kooy, even though seems to be struggling, I still think he’s cheaper option with potentially being better than we have. I still feel our Import we drafted is going to come, call me crazy. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad