Sub in Martinez/Greene for Muzzin/Ellerby

Crosby87Domi11

Jan 29, 2013
Locust Grove,VA
Honestly, I don't get the hate for Ellerby. He's been the steadier dman of the Muzzerby/Ellerzin pairing and hasn't had any noticible mind blowing mishaps like Muzzin has. Outside of Muzzin's one hot month he's been crap.

^ This. And Muzzin has been awful BUT I'm going to give him (and Ells) the benefit of the doubt

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I will admit that Ellerby in Game 2 was considerably better than in Game 1. He kind of missed his coverage on the first goal, but overall his game was ok. Muzzin leaves a lot to be desired if he's not contributing offensively. Whoever compares him to Corvo in the past was right on with that description.

Nashville Transplant

Feb 28, 2013
Nash/LA
Muzzin is 100000x tougher than Corvo ever was for the Kings. Both of them have had their weaknesses defensively magnified because they tend to make high risk/high reward plays that often don't pay off, but if you hit Corvo, he gave up. You hit Muzzin, and he may flail about for a couple of seconds, but he'll come right back at you.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
I will admit that Ellerby in Game 2 was considerably better than in Game 1. He kind of missed his coverage on the first goal, but overall his game was ok. Muzzin leaves a lot to be desired if he's not contributing offensively. Whoever compares him to Corvo in the past was right on with that description.
That was me.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
That was me.

Makes sense. ;)

I do agree with the poster above you in that Muzzin has a more physical game to him than Corvo, but he seldom plays like that. More often than not, Muzzin is taking the abuse. It's a similar problem with what we saw in Drewiske where he'd impose himself at times, but more often than not he was on the receiving end of a check from an aggressive forward.

Crosby87Domi11

Jan 29, 2013
Locust Grove,VA

I never thought I would hear you say Ellerby had a "decent" game. Thanks for proving me wrong! :)

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
I miss Hickey. Lombardi kind of mismanaged the defense a bit. I realize they were blindsided by the loss of Greene after the first game of the season, but had they did the right thing and moved Drewiske prior to the start of the season, Hickey would be in the Kings' lineup as part of the top 6 rotation and the Kings wouldn't have bothered to acquire a player like Ellerby (unless they wanted to add him as a 7th defenseman, which he'd be adequate for).

But things like this happen when you build a championship team and have a lot of depth at one position, you have to make tough decisions and waive players you have no choice but to do so in order to give them an opportunity to play. Happened with Detroit and Kyle Quincey, now we're seeing it with the Kings. It's just that these unexpected injuries really took a toll on the team, and it would to any team that loses two of it's top shutdown defensemen.

Hickey, really? He was passed on the depth chart by 2 other guys. Also, the guy had never played a game in the nhl, where Ellerby had over 130 games played and has size we were lacking. Ellerby may be getting burned in the playoffs, but Hickey couldn't be doing any better.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Hickey, really? He was passed on the depth chart by 2 other guys. Also, the guy had never played a game in the nhl, where Ellerby had over 130 games played and has size we were lacking. Ellerby may be getting burned in the playoffs, but Hickey couldn't be doing any better.

I think the bigger issue was that he wasn't given a shot so we never ended up finding out exactly what we lost in losing Hickey. What we do know is that a 4th overall pick was wasted on a player who was given away with nothing in return. Ellerby was struggling to stay in the lineup on a Florida Panthers team that was already weak defensively. Hanging on to Drewiske for as long as they did is what caused this chain reaction of losing Hickey to waivers and having to acquire Keaton Ellerby to add a healthy body on the defensive charts.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
I think the bigger issue was that he wasn't given a shot so we never ended up finding out exactly what we lost in losing Hickey. What we do know is that a 4th overall pick was wasted on a player who was given away with nothing in return. Ellerby was struggling to stay in the lineup on a Florida Panthers team that was already weak defensively. Hanging on to Drewiske for as long as they did is what caused this chain reaction of losing Hickey to waivers and having to acquire Keaton Ellerby to add a healthy body on the defensive charts.

Fair point, but I honestly don't think Hickey would be any better, and who knows, would he have even be called up? Muzzin was the first call up, and I just don't see DL wanting two rookies manning the blueline in a shortened season.

Muzzfan

Mar 10, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Visit site
Martinez hurt? He played and was a -3 one night. That was the last game of the season for him. Even if he had been injured that was like 6 weeks ago. He would have been put on IR I'd that were the case. He is in chateau bow wow.

Don't understand how he can be healthy and a scratch.

Winger23

May 3, 2007
Doesn't really matter who plays D if all 5 guys have to play so damn deep in zone. 1 goal a game ain't going to cut it. King on the 2nd line is a disaster.

Omni Owl

Mar 9, 2008

Ugh this is so frustrating, especially considering Hickey looks like he's making an impact playing with the Islanders. I can't believe DL would just waste his 4th overall pick like that. HORRIBLE asset management. I would have much rather lost Drewiskie or Muzzin...

LAX attack*

I am going to say, without having seen Hickey play mind you, that another rookie defenseman on the blueline wouldn't have helped.

The reason the Kings defense was so great was because at any time in a game, a team had to face one of Greene, Scuderi or Mitchell. Regher is probably better than Scuderi but Greene and Mitchell were both so good last year.v

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,600.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,770.00