Player Discussion Stuart Skinner

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
It’s pretty incredible how Skinner has come into a tough situation and not completely fallen apart. In my opinion there’s maybe 5-7 elite goalies in the league and the rest of them all over around the average mark and much of what separates them is situation.

I always think back to an interview Kevin Woolley did where he talked about how playing goalie for this version of the Oilers isn’t easy because for one the expectations are sky high, this is a team that expects to contend and win night in and night out. But also he said it’s a tough team to play behind because defensively they aren’t always consistent and while they improved greatly under Knoblauch it was still a team that maybe didn’t give up as much in terms of shots or chances but when they did have defensive break downs they resulted in some of the most dangerous chances possible. He talked about how difficult that is for even the best goalies because often you’re not getting a lot of work and not able to get into a rhythm but you’re expected to stop ten bell chances consistently.

I think the Ullmark trade is going to be a perfect example of the goaltender position. The guy has been one of the best goalies in the league the last few years. He won’t be the same in Ottawa.
Hadn’t heard that one. But Woodley’s take is in line with another goalie expert in Jesse Granger for The Athetlic. I’ll post it again:

“The save percentage hasn’t been good, the stats aren’t great. But you play for a team that is not good for goalie stats. The oilers play a style where they possess the puck a lot, and you don’t get a huge volume of shots, but then when they do give up a chance because they are so aggressive offensively it’s a really dangerous chance. So I’ll give him a bit of a break on his save percentage. I don’t think the oilers play like a team where any goalie can step in and play .920, I think it’s the opposite for him. If you get the best out of skinner you have a chance at the cup.“

Reactions: Louis Cypher

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
oettinger & swayman were both his draft year and some would say better - but he out dueled oettinger when it mattered

You have to go back to the 2014 draft for shesterkin for another young goalie better than Skinner

I think people fail to appreciate- Skinner is one of the youngest starting goalies in the entire league - his game is gonna have some warts.

Whatever blame you aim at him is just as fairly aimed at Campbell, who has wayyyy more experience but couldn’t get the job done. Or management, who let all this happen.

Stu will win the cup here

Reactions: sepHF and rec28

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Skinner is a fine goalie for the future. Hes still young and has development room. He can have hot/cold stretches but that is most goalies

Goaltending, imo, is an area we dont need to spend assets on to improve
When the only goalies who were consistently elite in the playoffs were basically Shesty and Bob, and Bob had some real doozy games himself not just in the Finals, there's no leg to stand on when trying to assert that the team cannot win a cup with Stu and needs to find a better option.

Even moreso if actually stopping to think about discussing 10 million dollar goalies as some silly necessity occurs.

Reactions: Stoneman89

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
I say don't spend any assets on goalies. If we are not buying out Campbell then use him as the backup. The problem is Rodriguez is waiver eligible and he's a really good prospect. He needs some minutes. I feel Campbell will be as good or better than Picard so no need to resign him unless buying out Campbell but what would the savings be after you buy out Campbell and pay Picard. Just keep Campbell and hope with the new coaches and the better defensive play Campbell can be decent.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
It’s pretty incredible how Skinner has come into a tough situation and not completely fallen apart. In my opinion there’s maybe 5-7 elite goalies in the league and the rest of them all over around the average mark and much of what separates them is situation.

I always think back to an interview Kevin Woolley did where he talked about how playing goalie for this version of the Oilers isn’t easy because for one the expectations are sky high, this is a team that expects to contend and win night in and night out. But also he said it’s a tough team to play behind because defensively they aren’t always consistent and while they improved greatly under Knoblauch it was still a team that maybe didn’t give up as much in terms of shots or chances but when they did have defensive break downs they resulted in some of the most dangerous chances possible. He talked about how difficult that is for even the best goalies because often you’re not getting a lot of work and not able to get into a rhythm but you’re expected to stop ten bell chances consistently.

I think the Ullmark trade is going to be a perfect example of the goaltender position. The guy has been one of the best goalies in the league the last few years. He won’t be the same in Ottawa.
Woodley's carved out a pretty solid career niche as a technical writer specializing in goaltending. I agree with his opinions about Skinner and final line of defense behind this team. The Oilers are the best or near top of league in terms of offensive zone time while among the lowest in their d zone. That is fantastic but when looking at shot metrics it doesn't necessarily reflect the chances they do give up are often 5 alarm bell kill shots. It can distort perception of goaltending when they dominate puck possession, zone time, and often shots on net.

Ullmark numbers will correct somewhat behind a lesser defensive team in Ottawa. Though he had really good goaltending stats behind a leaky Buffalo team (a reason I had hoped the Oil might try to target him from the Sabres).

At the end of the day, like you, I agree Skinner deserves enormous props for not wilting under the weight of this organization and its fanbase to be a Cup contender. He had his wobbles but this team ran to within two goals in Game 7 of winning a Stanley Cup. Lots of positives for a sophomore NHL goaltender who is still growing and establishing his game. Hope they find a solid veteran 1B goaltender to help fortify the goaltending position.

Reactions: rec28

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
When the only goalies who were consistently elite in the playoffs were basically Shesty and Bob, and Bob had some real doozy games himself not just in the Finals, there's no leg to stand on when trying to assert that the team cannot win a cup with Stu and needs to find a better option.

Even moreso if actually stopping to think about discussing 10 million dollar goalies as some silly necessity occurs.
Bob had 10 games under .900 in this Cup run too. 10. Shesty has 7. Two of the best goalies in the League apparently, and even they get torched in the playoffs in todays League.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I say don't spend any assets on goalies. If we are not buying out Campbell then use him as the backup. The problem is Rodriguez is waiver eligible and he's a really good prospect. He needs some minutes. I feel Campbell will be as good or better than Picard so no need to resign him unless buying out Campbell but what would the savings be after you buy out Campbell and pay Picard. Just keep Campbell and hope with the new coaches and the better defensive play Campbell can be decent.
I'll straight up say it, Campbell is a better goaltender than Picard or Rodriguez but this is all about the cap.

Also if the Oil pick their spot to waive Rodriguez early, after one preseason game kind of thing, he will clear waivers. If they wait until the last preseason game and Rodriguez had a good camp he likely gets claimed.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
I agree with not spending assets

Love it or hate it, Skinner will be the #1 guy going into next year. Personally, I like the idea of having Rodrigue as backup. many teams have found their goaltenders of the future by just giving their rookie goalies a chance.. our fanbase seems so hesitant about it for some reason. (Look at what Silovs did for the Canucks once he got his shot) He'll be 24 at the start of the season, he's put in the work in the minors at this point.

if he stumbles badly, call up Campbell and hope for the best

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad