Stuart Skinner worst playoff sv% since Cloutier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
He is a solid backup that can play fill in and play when needed but should not be any teams undisputed starter.

It's not that every goal Skinner allows is weak but a number of them are not acceptable goals for a starting goalie to allow in the Stanley Cup playoffs on a regular basis. The big difference between Skinner and a true starting goalie is that a true starting goalie can have games where he might struggle a bit or let in a weak goal but he will not let in that Robertson 3rd goal in game 3 when it's in the third period and the game is on the line. A good starting goalie will jump on the opportunity to make a difference when the game is on the line regardless of how the rest of the game has gone. Skinner has shown no ability to do that. He also has not shown much ability to make clutch saves when the Oilers have leads, nor help them win games once in awhile that they do not necessarily deserve to win. Pretty much every win the Oilers have in these playoffs is when they have decisively outplayed the other team and even in those games Skinner has sometimes kept them close.

Some of the goals I have seen people on here blaming Nurse or Ceci or the Oilers defensive play on that Skinner has allowed in these playoffs have been laughable. The goalies on the other teams are making those saves. I think Skinner is a great standup guy but he is not proven to be a good starting goalie as of yet. I obviously hope he can get more consistent because I want the Oilers to win the Cup so I am rooting for him.

UpHere

Feelin' it
Jun 16, 2009
He thrives on more work, seems to lose focus when he doesn't have many shots directed at him
I think he's good enough to win it all, but not good enough to be mentioned with great goalies -
there's been more than a few of those 'tenders over the years

On The Prowl

Mar 13, 2024
He has some truly horrific games where he is probably 90% of the reason the team loses, but so has every single other Edmonton goalie since forever.

I am Bettman

May 23, 2022
Seems like he is one of those goalies that is good when he is dialed in and seeing tons of shots, but he is prone to let in softies at inopportune times. This is a really dangerous trait because it’s such a momentum killer to suppress scoring chances as a defender just for the goalie to let a softie in.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
He thrives on more work, seems to lose focus when he doesn't have many shots directed at him
I think he's good enough to win it all, but not good enough to be mentioned with great goalies -
there's been more than a few of those 'tenders over the years
yeah its fair to say he's a level below the Vasilevskis and Lundqvists...

• Haha
Reactions: 5Hollywood5

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I think fans of teams where goaltending has been a problem become a bit conditioned to blame everything on the goalie, just like teams with typically strong goaltending can sometimes excuse any poor goal. Skinner isn’t that good, but he’s not as bad as some people make him out to be and while Edmonton has been a solid defensive team for a couple years, they’re definitely a team that gives up more chances relative to shots than a lot of other teams, which will hurt SV%.

Skinner’s been statistically just a bit below expected in terms of expected goals, though he’s one of those guys where it feels like he’s not going to shut it down when you need him to, which can be hard to win with

Reactions: Curufinwe

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I think fans of teams where goaltending has been a problem become a bit conditioned to blame everything on the goalie, just like teams with typically strong goaltending can sometimes excuse any poor goal. Skinner isn’t that good, but he’s not as bad as some people make him out to be and while Edmonton has been a solid defensive team for a couple years, they’re definitely a team that gives up more chances relative to shots than a lot of other teams, which will hurt SV%.

Skinner’s been statistically just a bit below expected in terms of expected goals, though he’s one of those guys where it feels like he’s not going to shut it down when you need him to, which can be hard to win with
Skinner has been atrocious in 90% of his losses. Full stop.

Reactions: Mack a doodle doo

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Yea you’re exactly what I’m talking about. Pretending every goal he gives up is so awful, as if no other goalies do the same, and ignoring any saves. It’s a ridiculous take.
His record is 10-2 in the playoffs when he posts a .850% or better.

Both those losses were in the first round vs la last year.

The rest of his losses he's been below .850.

10 losses in a row where he posts a .850sv% or worse.

3ga or more on 20 shots
4ga or more on 27 shots
5ga or more on 33 shot's

Atrocious.

Horrible.

Unwinnable

@KeithIsActuallyBad

Last edited:

Macheteops

Apr 13, 2005
He's not starter good. People get excited when he makes routine saves. Tired of his interviews too

If the Oilers somehow win a cup with him in net it should count as two

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
He can have a bad/good game. He can go through strings of games being bad/good. He’ll even make nice saves in games he’s bad or play good and let in soft goal. It’s called being an average goalie.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
The Oilers have a pretty damn good shot at winning the Cup with Skinner in net and Darnell Nurse and Cody Ceci playing a combined 40 minutes a game with a grand total of 7 points and a -18.

You really need to let that sink in to feel the full impact.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
As is the case with every single player analysis in HF history, the most accurate assessment of Skinner’s ability is somewhere in the middle of where most posts land.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
no, but he can be mentioned in the same breath as the niemi's and hills should they win
Adin Hill was legit terrific last post-season and has a career 2.09 GAA and 0.932 SV% in the post-season.

Not comparable. Absolutely NOT “mentionable in the same breath”.

Last goalie to maybe be the “won in spite of” was probably Kuemper but he still had a 0.902 SV% and a bit of veteran moxy in the Avs run.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
His record is 10-2 in the playoffs when he posts a .850% or better.

Both those losses were in the first round vs la last year.

The rest of his losses he's been below .850.

Atrocious.

Horrible.

Unwinnable

@KeithIsActuallyBad

Like I said, focusing on save percentage alone is a problem. Limiting shots isn’t the same thing as limiting chances and the Oilers limit shots at a much higher rate than they limit chances which makes it difficult to maintain a higher save percentage. A lot of his losses are more not making the big saves on the chances that the other team does get rather than letting up a ton of bad goals, though he does have some of those as well. His expected save percentage in his losses this post season is .891. So you shouldn’t expect a good save percentage in them.

And focusing on losses is problematic as it suggests that he has no hand in the wins either, while in the playoffs as a whole his expected goals against is only slightly lower than what he’s allowed. He hasn’t been good enough, and the Oilers should look for an upgrade win or lose this year, but I think some fans just want to blame everything on him because it’s the easiest thing to change.

Reactions: BKarchitect

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
The Oilers have a pretty damn good shot at winning the Cup with Skinner in net and Darnell Nurse and Cody Ceci playing a combined 40 minutes a game with a grand total of 7 points and a -18.

You really need to let that sink in to feel the full impact.
Surprisingly, there has been teams that gone to finals or won cup with a similar less impressive D core and goalie or even worse. Can’t say I can recall a team having both of those and doing it but a lot of teams also didn’t have Mcdrais.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Like I said, focusing on save percentage alone is a problem. Limiting shots isn’t the same thing as limiting chances and the Oilers limit shots at a much higher rate than they limit chances which makes it difficult to maintain a higher save percentage. A lot of his losses are more not making the big saves on the chances that the other team does get rather than letting up a ton of bad goals, though he does have some of those as well. And focusing on losses is problematic as it suggests that he has no hand in the wins either, while in the playoffs as a whole his expected goals against is only slightly lower than what he’s allowed.
He lets in too many goals, period.

I'm not sure what you're trying to convince me or yourself of. He's probably the weakest starter of a final 4 team since Michael Leighton in 2010

Adin Hill was legit terrific last post-season and has a career 2.09 GAA and 0.932 SV% in the post-season.

Not comparable. Absolutely NOT “mentionable in the same breath”.

Last goalie to maybe be the “won in spite of” was probably Kuemper but he still had a 0.902 SV% and a bit of veteran moxy in the Avs run.
And neimi somehow faced a worse goalie in the finals in Michael Leighton.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
I think people are underestimating how long it usually takes for goaltenders to develop. Very few become legit starters in the NHL before the age of 25, which is what Skinner is now. He's slowly starting to figuere it out in the regular season, but still has work to do in the playoffs.

I'd say he's reached the level of a tandem goaltender right now. He's good enough to be a starter on a middle of the pack team trying to make the playoffs. But on a contender like Edmonton is now he's better suited to be a backup still.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad