Post-Game Talk: Stolarz & Marner Steal a Point - Leafs lose 4-3

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
That’s a big problem isn’t it. They don’t get up for lesser opponents and don’t have the guts to win the big games. They’re not a properly built team. That needs to change this off season.
It needed to change more recently but we're pretty stuck for this year. All you can do now is hope they figure it out and some of the perimeter changes come through.

For now, we don't look as good as some claimed early and we won't look as bad long term as some think we are now. I do have concerns with how we've tackled pending issues like Tavares decline and special teams

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
The long term problem I'm seeing with Auston Matthews is he has no defined personality as the team alpha dog and that is enhanced in his role as captain this season.

If only he were wired to be the guy who crosschecked Rasmus Dahlin, I think you'd at least have trust in a fiery leader. But note all the suboptimal on ice everytime there's trouble. Getting roughed up and targeted by guys like Konecny, Stamkos, Chiarot, no point of pride in sticking up for yourself, let alone teammates. Historically that tells me he's not really in the fight, and can be pushed out by anyone who wants to elevate emotional hostility as a weapon. The multi season project to bring more snarl, snot, bite, size, veteran leadership all seems to be compensating for something. Furthermore, if your leader doesn't have the fight, it seems to dial down the emotional response of everyone else.

I think with his history no one is afraid to push him around.

He doesn't seem to have a fuse, more like a heat exchanger than a furnace. No combustion.

Reactions: Ports and Stephen

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I still think it is early to panic, but it is very discouraging to see them abandon the new system completely for pond hockey.

I think management are underprepared for the Markets reaction if they do not pull out of this though. Probably the worst since the end of the 2014 season we got Marner.

Reactions: Leterman

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
It needed to change more recently but we're pretty stuck for this year. All you can do now is hope they figure it out and some of the perimeter changes come through.

For now, we don't look as good as some claimed early and we won't look as bad long term as some think we are now. I do have concerns with how we've tackled pending issues like Tavares decline and special teams
Unless some miracle trade(s) come out of left field, this is the group they’re committed to this season. They will probably make the playoffs and not get out of the first round. Tavares’ cap hit and decline has been a problem for a few years now. They’ve improved themselves on defense and in goal but their core five group hasn’t changed and is not capable of delivering when it counts. It they re-sign Marner or Tavares they’re showing that they don’t have a clue. $22M can be used to build a deeper team that is harder to play against. Moving Rielly would be the cherry on top for me. He’s on the decline as well and will never be a top pairing dman. Management needs to show some courage and a stronger commitment to winning. Great organizations don’t settle for underperforming when it counts no matter how good their regular season stats look.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
TBH I don't think it would be that big of a deal if we did indeed let Marner go for nothing. I've heard several GM's on multiple occasions state that they rate these factors in this order: 1. cap space, 2. draft picks, 3. re-signing players, 4. free agents. Trying to sign Marner will no doubt include a NMC which will handcuff this club even more. Just let him walk, get the space and hopefully replace the production with some new signings/internally. Who knows? The bonus might actually be PLAYOFF production other than games 1 and 2 of the first round. *Bracing for feces to be thrown at my face
Don’t worry. Anybody doing that cares more about individual players stats than winning a cup and doesn’t understand that hockey is a team game and the wrong mix of individual talent doesn’t build a winning culture or lead to playoff success.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
We need to inject Domi's snarl and competitiveness into Auston's body.
They’ve been trying that for years now. Trying to velcro toughness onto a soft core especially at the trade deadline. But you’re not wrong, Matthews played braver when he had Domi and Bertuzzi on his wings.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I still think it is early to panic, but it is very discouraging to see them abandon the new system completely for pond hockey.

I think management are underprepared for the Markets reaction if they do not pull out of this though. Probably the worst since the end of the 2014 season we got Marner.
Chief’s post game interview seems he’s accepting that these guys aren’t able to execute his game plan and he’s just going to collect his cheque and let them run the team the way they see fit. Reminds me of the old gypsy curse: “may you get everything you wish for……..”

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
They’ve been trying that for years now. Trying to velcro toughness onto a soft core especially at the trade deadline. But you’re not wrong, Matthews played braver when he had Domi and Bertuzzi on his wings.

I wonder to what extent Matthews is resistant to playing with tougher linemates and is asking to be back with Mitch?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I'd settle for them on the same line. Matthews is a chamelon and can follow someone into battle. He can't elevate himself.

Never really thought about it this way but it seems accurate. When Reaves is fighting he is engaged. When Domi was getting in the mix so was he a lot more. Mitch wants to do a little song and dance around with he puck and AM is willing to go along with it. When he was with Nylander he was a much higher tempo guy as well.

He tries to adapt in all situations. Berube and company should be testing this out

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Domi is all stick checks and cheap shots when the game is out of reach and he is mad...
He can be a good player but definitely overrated by our fanbase and there is a reason he's moved a few teams. He has proven he will drop the gloves though so you omitted that. I have no issue to shake up the top line I would go either Domi or McMann for Marner and keep Knies there.

Reactions: ACC1224

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
He can be a good player but definitely overrated by our fanbase and there is a reason he's moved a few teams. He has proven he will drop the gloves though so you omitted that. I have no issue to shake up the top line I would go either Domi or McMann for Marner and keep Knies there.

Is he overrated by the fanbase, or does he just have a small group that feels he's more than he is?

He had a fluke 28 goal season, but he's a 52 point player who garners most points from someone else scoring.

Thinking about it, talent level he's a Michael Bunting who can play center.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

I like Domi, he is a good player, and he is tough after the whistles, I think people using Domi as an example of someone Matthews needs to emulate his game after is funny... Matthews is more physical during play.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I mean, they look so different structurally and how they were winning games and working. That is how I know

Okay, well they had bad games during the first 5 as well...

Would be shocking if Berube was so bad as a coach/motivator and so weak that he lost the team after 5 games...

I think what's most likely is they have had some bad games and are still adjusting to the systems and this will all be less of an issue in 10 games.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Never really thought about it this way but it seems accurate. When Reaves is fighting he is engaged. When Domi was getting in the mix so was he a lot more. Mitch wants to do a little song and dance around with he puck and AM is willing to go along with it. When he was with Nylander he was a much higher tempo guy as well.

He tries to adapt in all situations. Berube and company should be testing this out

The worst version of him is probably Harlem Globetrotter with Mitch. Even before his big OT gaffe he had a little give and go with Marner outside the Bruins blueline at center ice and just left it there. A lot of these habits are just bad.

Reactions: thewave

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I like Domi, he is a good player, and he is tough after the whistles, I think people using Domi as an example of someone Matthews needs to emulate his game after is funny... Matthews is more physical during play.

When he wants to be...

Domi is far from perfect and consistently reliable himself but I think you have an easier time winding him up to play the "snot" game and have him drag Matthews into the fight than for Matthews to be a consistent self starter. There's too much let up in AM34.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Okay, well they had bad games during the first 5 as well...

Would be shocking if Berube was so bad as a coach/motivator and so weak that he lost the team after 5 games...

I think what's most likely is they have had some bad games and are still adjusting to the systems and this will all be less of an issue in 10 games.

No they didn't. Losing does not mean bad game. They dominated the Habs remember they had 50 shots, was just one of those games. Same with the Rangers they played awesome goaltending was the difference

Reactions: Evilhomer

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Chief’s post game interview seems he’s accepting that these guys aren’t able to execute his game plan and he’s just going to collect his cheque and let them run the team the way they see fit. Reminds me of the old gypsy curse: “may you get everything you wish for……..”
I think this may be a bit over the top after 9 games. Let the season play out. I think we will like where this team ends up.

Reactions: ThrowDemTongs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad