Post-Game Talk: Stolarz & Marner Steal a Point - Leafs lose 4-3

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
I didn't love the fact that Berube loaded up ice time for Marner and Matthews. 26 and 23 minutes, respectively. Far more than any other forwards. They can't be doing that after only 9 games, or these guys are going to be overworked by the end of the season. Hopefully this was just a one-off.

Not sure I love the 1st and 2nd liners getting so muck PK time. I agree they should get some PK time ( tail end of the PK) but not this much. I want my goal scorers fresh not exhausted from the mental/physical stress of playing PK .

After team fought back to tie it up and again to go OT in Beantown .. Matty gives it way like a sieve .. Rielly dives to nowhere land instead of taking Marchand out of play for da rebound .. lone bright spot is tender who made a great save on Marchand to give us a chance .. Matty and Rielly have no idear of how to play defense .. Matty should have locked up Pasta for rebound and Rielly should have taken out Marchand and let tender hold puck after his amazing save .. but NO .. Matty stands around and Rielly dives into nowhere land leaving tender against 2 guys fighting for a rebound .. this is piss poor defense .. it reeks of players who don't want to win when it really matters .. or wore yet guys who have ZERO defensive training and skills

It drives me nuts when defenders turn their backs on attackers to go puck fishing and dont pick up anyone. Turn the F around and box out the attacker.

Reactions: Nineteen67

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Not sure I love the 1st and 2nd liners getting so muck PK time. I agree they should get some PK time ( tail end of the PK) but not this much. I want my goal scorers fresh not exhausted from the mental/physical stress of playing PK .

It drives me nuts when defenders turn their backs on attackers to go puck fishing and dont pick up anyone. Turn the F around and box out the attacker.
It is either lack of training or guys who just don't give a s*it .. either way we don't need these passengers .. this core lacks when game is on da line .. and they have for 7 years now

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
After team fought back to tie it up and again to go OT in Beantown .. Matty gives it way like a sieve .. Rielly dives to nowhere land instead of taking Marchand out of play for da rebound .. lone bright spot is tender who made a great save on Marchand to give us a chance .. Matty and Rielly have no idear of how to play defense .. Matty should have locked up Pasta for rebound and Rielly should have taken out Marchand and let tender hold puck after his amazing save .. but NO .. Matty stands around and Rielly dives into nowhere land leaving tender against 2 guys fighting for a rebound .. this is piss poor defense .. it reeks of players who don't want to win when it really matters .. or wore yet guys who have ZERO defensive training and skills
Matthews should have filled in Pastrnak and put him on his butt. Unfortunately that’s not in their repertoire and until it is, they can’t win big. It’s a pre-requisite to winning.

BTP

Apr 28, 2013
This is exactly why I said f*** defense in the off season, its been fine.

WE CANT SCORE. We have an old ass 2C, and if our top line doesnt get it done, we are SCREWED. Should have went all out on offensive DEPTH.

We are getting outshout 10-2 in the 3rd in a game where we are behind. Generating NO offense. We SUCK ASS offensively.

/rant.

cant score in the playoffs... dont upgrade offense. go all out on defense. great f***ing idea.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Matthews should have filled in Pastrnak and put him on his butt. Unfortunately that’s not in their repertoire and until it is, they can’t win big. It’s a pre-requisite to winning.
Yep they don't know what it takes to win and they never have .. i doubt either guy is gonna try to learn now in their late 20s .. same old issues every year when it matters .. hockey games are won and lost with D and G .. sad thing is we have upgraded both this season but core still fails da team

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
It is either lack of training or guys who just don't give a s*it .. either way we don't need these passengers .. this core lacks when game is on da line .. and they have for 7 years now

IMO a lot of it is due to panic, in a high stress situation you will always revert to what makes you comfortable. What makes offensive players comfortable is to have the puck on your stick, so they go fishing for pucks, it's what they do when they are attacking so when they defend they do what makes them comfortable. Difference is if you go fishing when you are attacking, the worse thing that can happen is the defending goalie gets the puck and the play stops, when you are defending the worse thing that can happen is your opponent scores. End of the day it's repetitive conditioning, it can be taught but you have to have willing participants.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes

This is not an elite roster, it is a middle middle roster, that plays occasionally elite and occasionally like dog shit but for the most part they play right down the middle middle hockey. They play slow, they take too long to move the puck, this could be because they dont trust themselves or could be they dont trust their teammates to be where they are supposed to be. Seems like the simple stuff is not simple.

I know it is early but I think we can call this one. Much like the Jays were pretty obvious what they were a couple of weeks into the season, this team screams middle middle. Barring some miracle, this team will finish 3rd in the East.
I was hoping they’d be a middle middle that played hard, however they’re back to being a middle middle team that plays on the perimeter.

Reactions: Hellcat

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
IMO a lot of it is due to panic, in a high stress situation you will always revert to what makes you comfortable. What makes offensive players comfortable is to have the puck on your stick, so they go fishing for pucks, it's what they do when they are attacking so when they defend they do what makes them comfortable. Difference is if you go fishing when you are attacking, the worse thing that can happen is the defending goalie gets the puck and the play stops, when you are defending the worse thing that can happen is your opponent scores. End of the day it's repetitive conditioning, it can be taught but you have to have willing participants.
My theory in business and in hockey when i played was you can't fundamentally change people .. yeah sure there is da 2 guys out of a hundred but bottom line a dog will always hunt .. we don't have enough dogs

Reactions: Ports and wingman75

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Yep they don't know what it takes to win and they never have .. i doubt either guy is gonna try to learn now in their late 20s .. same old issues every year when it matters .. hockey games are won and lost with D and G .. sad thing is we have upgraded both this season but core still fails da team
They could have one of those guys on the team but the high end skill also needs some grit in them and sacrifices their body when needed. 53% of the cap will not do it.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I think Marner can probably handle heavier minutes than Matthews, but neither one should be getting near 25 minutes per game, even with OT.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
They could have one of those guys on the team but the high end skill also needs some grit in them and sacrifices their body when needed. 53% of the cap will not do it.
It is a fundamentally flawed team .. no coach is gonna fix that issue .. hockey is 80% recruitment and only 20% coaching .. always has been .. some things don't change

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough
I didn't love the fact that Berube loaded up ice time for Marner and Matthews. 26 and 23 minutes, respectively. Far more than any other forwards. They can't be doing that after only 9 games, or these guys are going to be overworked by the end of the season. Hopefully this was just a one-off.
You said Boston couldn't score goals, can you explain what happened last night?

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
This is exactly why I said f*** defense in the off season, its been fine.

WE CANT SCORE. We have an old ass 2C, and if our top line doesnt get it done, we are SCREWED. Should have went all out on offensive DEPTH.

We are getting outshout 10-2 in the 3rd in a game where we are behind. Generating NO offense. We SUCK ASS offensively.

/rant.

cant score in the playoffs... dont upgrade offense. go all out on defense. great f***ing idea.
They desperately needed D, as well. With no money, and just a few tradeable assets, it’s hard to build a contender. They went with the let’s get in the playoffs and hope for Hail Mary Cinderella run

Captain Crunch

Mar 31, 2019
Mathew’s showing real captain leadership so far this year. Nylander continually reverting to stupid shinny hockey antics on a regular basis does not inspire. On the bright side I thought Myers looked solid in his season debut, that’s another nail in Lilly’s coffin……..
That is the 2nd big mistake made by Tre, signing Liljegren to that contract, the other being Kampf's contract. Real head scratchers to say the least.

Reactions: Ports

CapspaceKiller

Aug 10, 2020
JT was horrible from beginning to end, outside 2 decent shifts. Robertson was carrying him all night long and actually took a penalty because he was making up for John's inability to execute.

Matthews was the most dangerous player on the ice, but made 2 glaring defensive mistakes. His attention to detail is maddening right now. He's a microcosm for the whole team.

Marner made some nice east/west passes, played good on the PK and didn't bring much else. Invisible for LARGE stretches of the game. It also seems like his skating isn't as crisp as it used to be.

Nylander was horrible from beginning to end. Incredibly sloppy. Domi had his first bad game of the season too. McMann was pretty bad also. So yeah, the 2nd line sucked.

Stolarz is the man, excellent game. Best Leaf and outdid Swayman, which is why the leafs got a point.

Reilly was a mess all night and OEL had to pick up that garbage. Morgan is not making the end of that contract. He might be one bad injury away from being finished.

This game had no passion from either team. f***ing awful

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
My theory in business and in hockey when i played was you can't fundamentally change people .. yeah sure there is da 2 guys out of a hundred but bottom line a dog will always hunt .. we don't have enough dogs

We can go down the internal/external motivators theories but a screaming hard ass coach only goes so far. I've had both the warm and fuzz and the hard ass bosses, the warm and fuzzy bosses will get you middle consistency but tend to not get you elite results, the hard ass will get you elite results for a short period and will crash hard.

I dont think it is a "will" thing, I dont think the team is intentionally, consciously thinking, I'm gonna half ass it today. I think it's fear, stupidity, chasing the hero trophy, lack of confidence, self indulgent soothing behaviour, involuntary unintentional self limiting behavior, weight of the world on their shoulders behaviour. You are who you think you are. Free these guys from the ghosts of the past and they look like the 80's Oilers. Allow them to stew in their failures and they look like the 80's Leafs.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
JT was horrible from beginning to end, outside 2 decent shifts. Robertson was carrying him all night long and actually took a penalty because he was making up for John's inability to execute.

JT has been hot steaming dog poo all year, his crash accelerated in the off season. He's flying over the Bermuda triangle with low fuel. He's been so bad he might be out of the league in 2 to 3 years

Boston hasn’t played well this year. Marchand still doesn’t have a goal.

They gave him the overtime goal.

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough
Boston hasn’t played well this year. Marchand still doesn’t have a goal.
And the Leafs were badly outplayed by those guys.

I'm looking at the upcoming schedule, Winnipeg, Seattle, St.Louis and Minny back to back. I honestly don't see them winning any of those games.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
We can go down the internal/external motivators, a screaming hard ass coach only goes so far. I've had both the warm and fuzz and the hard ass bosses, the warm and fuzzy bosses will get you middle consistency but tend to not get you elite results, the hard ass will get you elite results for a short period and will crash hard.

I dont think it is a "will" thing, I dont think the team is intentionally, consciously thinking, I'm gonna half ass it today. I think it's fear, stupidity, chasing the hero trophy, lack of confidence, self indulgent soothing behaviour, involuntary unintentional self limiting behavior, weight of the world on their shoulders behaviour. You are who you think you are. Free these guys from the ghosts of the past and they look like the 80's Oilers. Allow them to stew in their failures and they look like the 80's Leafs.
I believe those “ghost” are freed when you’re 10-12 yrs old when you’re learning to play competitive hockey. Matthews is a showcase player and I guess never learned how to play and it shows.

And the Leafs were badly outplayed by those guys.

I'm looking at the upcoming schedule, Winnipeg, Seattle, St.Louis and Minny back to back. I honestly don't see them winning any of those games.
They outplayed a slow team that stuck to the perimeter. They don’t get that too often.

I thought they’d be 6-5 or at 5-6 through October which would give them a shot going into November.
They have a real tough December and if they don’t get back on track it could unravel.

Captain Crunch

Mar 31, 2019
M & M were fine tonight. Matthews poor decision in OT was horrible, but he was expecting support on the wall, probably something they've done many times. No excuses though, he needed to take an extra second there instead of going for the long bomb. I wouldn't even rule out him being a bit tired there, he played heavy minutes and is killing penalties now which wears you down.

Nylander reverted back to 2021 hockey. He has to keep it more simple and direct or else teams will just sit in wait until the turnover occurs.
I can't for the life of me figure out why Matthews was ever put on the PK. It's bad enough that Marner is there, although he's pretty good at it. Hopefully this is just a short term thing, but something we will have to keep an eye on.
Is Berube starting to coach just like Keefe did, by playing M&M heavy minutes? Let's hope not.
The 3rd line continues to be a problem, and will we ever have a 4th line who can consistently play well enough to earn at least 10 minutes a night?
Will this PP ever become a real POWER play? With the emphasis put on all the coaching changes, especially including the hiring of Savard, why does the PP look the same as it did heading down the stretch and through the 1st round last season, and so far this season?
Seems like the same old, same old!

Last edited:
Reactions: Leafsfan74

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I can't for the life of me figure out why Matthews was ever put on the PK. It's bad enough that Marner is there, although he's pretty good at it. Hopefully this is just a short term thing, but something we will have to keep an eye on.
Is Berube starting to coach just like Keefe did, by playing M&M heavy minutes? Let's hope not.
The 3rd line continues to be a problem, and will we ever have a 4th line who can consistently play well enough to earn at least 10 minutes a night?
Seems like the same old, same old!
Coaches will always play their best players the most minutes. This isn’t unique to Keefe or Berube.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad