Prospect Info: Stockton Heat & All-Purpose Prospect Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I also don't get why some are so down on Kylington. It is as if he's a failure because he hasn't made the jump after 3 years in the A. Young players all develop at different rates and it is tough to dislodge an incumbent off of the big club's roster. Especially when your left D is Giordano, Hanifin, and some no name called Valimaki. And even then Valimaki had to beat out another guy, Kulak, that just made the club full time last year (beating out Matt Bartowski). The Shill will continue to improve and if he can't make the club due to its depth, I'm sure Tre will move him to where he can play.
People are down on Kylington because his gains are minimal. He still makes Tue same stupid mistakes that he did as a rookie AHLer and his offensive game, while solid isn't enough to make up for that

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Not great to hear about our D- and even if it's not our goalies fault necessarily, this certainly won't help their confidence, which is a huge part of the game for goalies.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Didn’t have a great postseason last year and pretty meh rookie games.

True but it's worth looking a little deeper than that. Kyrou was similarly ineffective in that playoff run, and if I am not mistaken that was his primary linemate. From that perspective, I don't think a bad 12 game stretch is what you want to base his projection on.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Eh, Ruzicka is a recent 4th rounder, who has been shown to be up and down. Not sure why you'd expect hype around him. He's Tue kind from guy you wait .See how he does as a pro

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Ruzicka is a 4th rounder with size. He's a project. If he pans out, it's found money. If not, it's a 4th rounder. Most guys in the later rounds are projects and take longer to develop if they develop at all. Ruzicka is 19 still IIRC. Plenty of time to figure things out. We should give him at least the Jankowski duration of development before writing him off, no?

E2 is in the same boat. If he pans out, fantastic. It gives the GM extra currency and flexibility later on because he will not need as high picks to maintain a baseline level of talent in the cupboards.

Reactions: Cyrano

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Ruzicka is a streaky inconsistent player that puts up a slightly more than normal number of his points on the PP compared to most good prospects. I'm glad we have him in our pool, and I think he has potential, but I also think he's going to be nearly as long term a project as Jankowski.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
True but it's worth looking a little deeper than that. Kyrou was similarly ineffective in that playoff run, and if I am not mistaken that was his primary linemate. From that perspective, I don't think a bad 12 game stretch is what you want to base his projection on.

That's very true.
He's a project, I mean, in three years we could be like "Man, look at this kid scoring in the AHL!" or it's going to be like "Ah, I see he's playing overseas, remember his beast D+1 season?".

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I also don't get why some are so down on Kylington. It is as if he's a failure because he hasn't made the jump after 3 years in the A. Young players all develop at different rates and it is tough to dislodge an incumbent off of the big club's roster. Especially when your left D is Giordano, Hanifin, and some no name called Valimaki. And even then Valimaki had to beat out another guy, Kulak, that just made the club full time last year (beating out Matt Bartowski). The Shill will continue to improve and if he can't make the club due to its depth, I'm sure Tre will move him to where he can play.

Kylington employs a polarizing playing style that some will simply never be on board with. I mean, his max potential is basically that of a middle class Karlsson and just look at the amount of grief that guy got while winning norris trophies. He could play a flawless 59 minutes but make one defensive mistake leading to a goal against and that's all the detractors will focus on.

And I suspect that's much the case with Kylington; he's improved by leaps and bounds from his draft year and yet, some defensive mistakes and it's the end of the world. Those same mistakes by anyone else and it's met with shrug. It's a matter of perception I guess; even if the frequency of errors is the same, one set gets hit with the narrative that's it's expected and therefore unacceptable while the others get a pass because it's considered a one off.

Kylington's skating pretty much guarantee's him a job at some level in the NHL. The Flames are still very much a developmental mess; prospects either make it straight out of junior like Valimaki and Dube this year, or struggle to make the jump for one reason or the other. A different organization, like say the Penguins which excel at getting the most out of their defensemen, could make Kylington a star. But given the Flames' porous defensive depth now, good chance Kylington will get the opportunity to show off what he can do sooner than later.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
That's very true.
He's a project, I mean, in three years we could be like "Man, look at this kid scoring in the AHL!" or it's going to be like "Ah, I see he's playing overseas, remember his beast D+1 season?".

I agree, I just think about other 'project' type guys we've had in the past and currently, and there has always been a level of intrigue about them. Doesn't seem to be the case with Ruzicka so much.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Kylington's skating pretty much guarantee's him a job at some level in the NHL. The Flames are still very much a developmental mess; prospects either make it straight out of junior like Valimaki and Dube this year, or struggle to make the jump for one reason or the other. A different organization, like say the Penguins which excel at getting the most out of their defensemen, could make Kylington a star. But given the Flames' porous defensive depth now, good chance Kylington will get the opportunity to show off what he can do sooner than later.

Agree yet disagree.

I agree development was a mess. I think it has been repaired under Treliving's watch and we are just waiting for the first crop to emerge, but this is also hampered by the fact there's no room on the NHL roster.

I think the farm system really screwed up our prospects in eras past. Of all the players drafted previously in Sutter/Feaster eras, I think only Backlund, Brodie and Hathaway really panned out. In the Feaster era, most did have to jump directly to the NHL or meet doom in the AHL/tweener. I think Treliving has finally cleared out the old guard. Janko might be the sole exception, but I feel like he was a project long enough to enter a repaired farm system under Treliving's watch. Treliving repaired the AHL mess by getting the team to Stockton from Adirondack and redesigned the AHL staff to emulate the NHL team to allow players to develop skills they'd use on the Flames NHL roster if called up. This is a huge difference to the prior eras where the AHL team apparently played a different system to the NHL club.

As sad as it sounds, it does seem like many prospects from the Feaster era were "damaged goods". Especially that 2013 draft and players like Barts, Sieloff, Arnold etc. Treliving has cleared essentially everyone out from before him. Most of the players knocking on the door are those that were drafted under his watch in his second year as GM. I still argue that Treliving's first draft looks a heck of a lot more like players Burke wanted vs players Treliving would have wanted such as Bennett, Smith, Hickey, AOM and Carroll, so I'd consider them prior era damaged goods too.

Under the repaired system, those that went through the AHL and look to be knocking are:
- Janko (well, he's walked through the door)
- Mangiapane
- Andersson
- Kylington (A more marination required)
- Foo (?)

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I agree, I just think about other 'project' type guys we've had in the past and currently, and there has always been a level of intrigue about them. Doesn't seem to be the case with Ruzicka so much.

Think he got lost a bit in the shuffle with Valimaki (his draft), Dube (year before) and Andersson (year before that) making massive strides, as well as Mangi.
His regular season was promising last year, and it looks like it'll be a good one again this season.

I think he's also easily lost because we have a good team for the first time in a million years.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
People are down on Kylington because his gains are minimal. He still makes Tue same stupid mistakes that he did as a rookie AHLer and his offensive game, while solid isn't enough to make up for that

Wow. Tough crowd. Whatever happened to slow and steady wins the race? Maybe I'm too much of a homer, but I prefer the glass is half full rather than empty. Kylington will continue to develop. I thought he had a pretty good camp. Just not good enough to play regular up here. And I certainly don't want to see a kid that age sitting in the press box full time. So the A it is.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Kylington employs a polarizing playing style that some will simply never be on board with. I mean, his max potential is basically that of a middle class Karlsson and just look at the amount of grief that guy got while winning norris trophies. He could play a flawless 59 minutes but make one defensive mistake leading to a goal against and that's all the detractors will focus on.

And I suspect that's much the case with Kylington; he's improved by leaps and bounds from his draft year and yet, some defensive mistakes and it's the end of the world. Those same mistakes by anyone else and it's met with shrug. It's a matter of perception I guess; even if the frequency of errors is the same, one set gets hit with the narrative that's it's expected and therefore unacceptable while the others get a pass because it's considered a one off.

It's the brutal turnover from trying to do too much that'll always cost Kylington. Like a lot of young players, less can sometimes be more.
I like his upside a lot, and I think he's an NHLer as well.

I just recall the WJC he anchored Sweden's blueline. He'd play 24-26 minutes a night, where 99% of it was just fine; but he'd make a dumb play on blueline or an egregious turnover in his end, and all of the sudden this entire board (all of HF, not just CFHF) would be like 'oooffff, turrible game!' The problem with Oliver is the inability to play a clean 60 minutes. So yes, when Giordano makes a bad play, you forgive him because you know his next shift won't have the same mistake repeated, the same thing cannot be said for Kylington.

He has improved tremendously from his rookie year. He's getting more responsible, and more responsibility every year; which is what you want to see from your prospects.

I do disagree in terms of the Flames development system itself. I think a lot has to do with scouting/management changes versus development. Essentially the good development programs in the NHL are more than happy to have their kids stew for 4-5 years combined CHL/Pro experience; in Calgary's case, our management groups clean house on depth guys every few years because it's a new manager. Also, our drafting stunk up the building for the longest time. Not sure how you're suppose to churn out NHL'ers with the Max Reinharts, Ty Wotherspoons, Pat Sieloffs, and Keegan Kanzig's of the world.

Oliver will get his chance. I do think he'll be Calgary's 6/7D next season.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

ON THE DOT.

People want every player to be Lidstrom or Chara, and if they get a John Klingberg they will look for a worst case scenario instead of seeing the overall net positive impact a player like Kylington has. It's generally the same people who were all over Brodie last year, by the way.

Kylington is already a very good player who I would feel comfortable throwing out into NHL games. He will make some blatant errors. As Andersson did last night, as Valimaki did in game 1. But his upside is sky-high and he can help the team win right now.

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
D Brady Austin signed a PTO with Stockton. Previously play a handful of NHL games with Sabres (16/17).

Brady Austin at eliteprospects.com
In addition to this Taormina was quietly waived by the Flames yesterday, as he was on season opening injured reserve, he cleared today and has joined the Heat.

I hope Taormina and Valiev finally get into action this weekend.

with the adds of Austin and Taormina, the Heat now have 11 defensemen on their roster.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Friday, October 12th, 2018
nxj4ar.png

Stockton Heat (0-1-1) at Ontario Reign (1-1-0)
8:00pm MT - Citizens Business Bank Arena

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
If Ruzika can put up a ppg again this year without Kyrou I'd be happy as far as development goes. I hope for more but Kyrou was a huge help for him.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Who else would you consider a project in recent history? Jankowski is the obvious one, and his intrigue was obvious from day 1 (unconventional source league, considered a reach where he was picked, bold claims made by Flames staff about him). Otherwise I haven't seen a ton of projecty guys who generated more intrigue than Ruz, except for reasons that are not hockey related (e.g. E2 being a lockerroom philosopher).

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Who else would you consider a project in recent history? Jankowski is the obvious one, and his intrigue was obvious from day 1 (unconventional source league, considered a reach where he was picked, bold claims made by Flames staff about him). Otherwise I haven't seen a ton of projecty guys who generated more intrigue than Ruz, except for reasons that are not hockey related (e.g. E2 being a lockerroom philosopher).
Ferland and Kulak were projects

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Every draft pick that spends time in the AHL is a project

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
The feed went out for me a few minutes into the game. I guess I'll try again in a while

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad