Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] F Dylan Holloway (2 years, $2.290457M AAV) and D Philip Broberg (2 years, $4.580917M AAV) sign offer sheets with the Blues (not matched)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
This is true. It's going to be an interesting day tomorrow.

Nothing about having them over the barrel, but more them not getting the actual target they wanted. Holloway's been replaced, so we'll take the 3rd thanks. How bad do they want Broberg? The contract was 1 dollar short of a 1st round pick.
And not losing a 1st is what made it such a good value....

Why would we pay a premium for a guy who doesn't care about winning, is a #6 defenseman, and whatever other bitter narratives Oilers fans came up with the last 5 days?

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Definitely a possibility. I'm sure if he sucks that badly in camp the Oilers can just pick up a depth guy on waivers that can do the job just fine.
Can the oilers find a nobody 13th forward type like Podkolzin? Sure. Lots of them on waivers.

Holloway > Podkolzin. It’s not close. One guy is an NHL player. The other guy probably belongs in the KHL.

• Haha
Reactions: McBooya42

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
If Edmonton matches the contract for either player, they can’t trade them for 1 calendar year. I’m sure they can’t place them on waivers for the same calendar year.
Article 10.3 section (b) of CBA only explicitly states the prior Club may not Trade that Restricted Free Agent for a period of one year from the date it exercises its Right of First Refusal.

However, I could be missing something or there could be something I'm misunderstanding as I am not a lawyer.

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
Not sure what you mean by "slide" and shouldn't be an issue but Armstrong will still need to make a move if EDM does not match.

Blues currently have 51 SPCs on a limit of 50 allowed. The only CBA exemption from counting against this number are "Age 18 and age 19 players who were returned to Juniors, and who have not played 11 NHL Games in one season, shall be exempt from inclusion in the 50 Player limit".

The Blues have six players on SPCs that fit this (Stenberg, Dvorsky, Pekarcik, Stancl, Jiricek, and Lindstein). Only two of them play in the CHL (Dvorsky, Stancl), Stancl will very likely start the season in the CHL but Dvorsky will likely (or maybe not) get his 11 game tryout since he can't go to the AHL (won't reach 20 by 31 Dec).

Its not an issue as Armstrong could move a Loof or a McGinn or a Sylvegard for "future considerations" or convince one or more of Stenberg, Pekarcik, Jiricek, or Lindstein to move to the CHL but, like I said earlier, there will need to be a move,
If Armstrong needs to make a deal he probably already has one worked out with Dubas.

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
Retooling? Theres like one good prospect in that list of names...

Um, seriously? A potentially elite goaltender, a solid right-handed defenseman, seven former first round picks (three of whom have already made their debuts), and the person you quoted didn't even mention our most recent first round pick in Adam Jiricek or other prospects like Juraj Pekarcik, Lukas Fischer, and Michael Buchinger (and I admittedly have a prospect crush on Nikita Susuyev as well).

Please tell me you don't care about anyone's prospect pool other than your own? It's the only way this comment makes any sense for you to say.

Last edited:

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
If Edmonton matches the contract for either player, they can’t trade them for 1 calendar year. I’m sure they can’t place them on waivers for the same calendar year.
They can't trade him, no. They can waive him to their hearts content however.

And not losing a 1st is what made it such a good value....

Why would we pay a premium for a guy who doesn't care about winning, is a #6 defenseman, and whatever other bitter narratives Oilers fans came up with the last 5 days?
I firmly believe he could play top 4 next year fairly well, but only on the left hand side.

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
Article 10.3 section (b) of CBA only explicitly states the prior Club may not Trade that Restricted Free Agent for a period of one year from the date it exercises its Right of First Refusal.

However, I could be missing something or there could be something I'm misunderstanding as I am not a lawyer.
Doesn't say anything about waiving said player.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Nothing about having them over the barrel, but more them not getting the actual target they wanted. Holloway's been replaced, so we'll take the 3rd thanks. How bad do they want Broberg? The contract was 1 dollar short of a 1st round pick. How bad does St. Louis need a top 4 young LHD? My understanding is they absolutely have a need for one.

thats the trick its only a second. I think everybody needs to make it up to the top to ensure the pick works.
Can the oilers find a nobody 13th forward type like Podkolzin? Sure. Lots of them on waivers.

Holloway > Podkolzin. It’s not close. One guy is an NHL player. The other guy probably belongs in the KHL.
Agreed Holloway isn't close but atleast Oilers got a warm body.

Doesn't say anything about waiving said player.
True but then I think they lose him for nothing instead of a 2nd.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
This is true. It's going to be an interesting day tomorrow.

Nothing about having them over the barrel, but more them not getting the actual target they wanted. Holloway's been replaced, so we'll take the 3rd thanks. How bad do they want Broberg? The contract was 1 dollar short of a 1st round pick. How bad does St. Louis need a top 4 young LHD? My understanding is they absolutely have a need for one.
It was never a guarantee we were getting either of them, if Oilers match they match and the Blues look elsewhere.

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
It's a need but the bigger need is a top pairing LD which Broberg isn't. It would be nice to have a D-man like Broberg to help the transition before the Lindsteins and Jiriceks join the club, but he's definitely not enough of a long-term solution to any major issue that would make them consider offering a 1st.

The contract being one dollar short of 1st round compensation should be all the evidence you need that they have no interest in giving up a 1st for Broberg.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
So matching Broberg and letting Hollowoy go.

I expect it'll be a matter of months before Oilers fans turn on Broberg, again.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

It says you can't trade for a year, there doesn't look to be any stipulation on waiving the player for a year, only for the week long matching period.

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
So with the Ceci trade can't they match both? Why would they let Holloway go for a 3rd? 5.925m above the cap, Kane on LTIR is 5.13m, Josh Brown to AHL is 1m, they're compliant with 13F, 7D, 2G. Pod trade gives them depth to bench C.Brown/Ryan once in a while. You can add him and still keep hollo

Is there something I'm missing? I don't get the whole Holloway gone thing.

Reactions: Andrei79

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
So with the Ceci trade can't they match both? Why would they let Holloway go for a 3rd? 5.925m above the cap, Kane on LTIR is 5.13m, Josh Brown to AHL is 1m, they're compliant with 13F, 7D, 2G. Pod trade gives them depth to bench C.Brown/Ryan once in a while. You can add him and still keep hollo

You're correct, I think the problem would be what happens when Kane comes off LTIR. Podkolzin deal seems to forshadow Holloway out.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO

What if Kane isn’t out for long and is deemed healthy? Does trading Ceci and letting Holloway walk mean that Kane can be added back to the line-up whenever that is?

Seems like the idea here is let’s just fix this problem for the season and that a healthy Kane is going to be better to have on board than Holloway. Not to mention the added asset cost it may take to deal Kane or whoever you are dealing when he comes off LTIR…

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012

Sounds about as accurate as your Boeser analysis

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015

On Oilers people like you he's not an NHLer as soon as he signs somewhere else hes an NHLer. Podkolzin has a 25+ point season and Hollloway just put up 9 pts in almost 40 games on a team that has the offensive talent that they have and theres a three month age difference. How does that translate in your head?

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
What if Kane isn’t out for long and is deemed healthy? Does trading Ceci and letting Holloway walk mean that Kane can be added back to the line-up whenever that is?
It very likely does not.

With Broberg matched and Holloway NOT matched and Kane healthy, they are 3 M over in that scenario. Even if they sent down 3 replaceable players (Josh Brown, Stecher and Ryan) to get to 20 players (the minimum), they would likely still be over from what I can tell.

Reactions: BKarchitect

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
It very likely does not.

With Broberg matched and Holloway NOT matched and Kane healthy, they are 3 M over in that scenario. Even if they sent down 3 replcable players (Josh Brown, Stecher and Ryan) to get to 20 players (the minimum), they would likely still be over from what I can tell.

Ceci out (3.2 mill)
Podkolzin & Emberson in (1.950 mill)

They’ve really have not opened up much cap room. only roughly 1.2 million

Perhaps they are still letting both Holloway and Broberg walk and Kane isn’t expected on LTIR for any length of time if it all

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
It very likely does not.

With Broberg matched and Holloway NOT matched and Kane healthy, they are 3 M over in that scenario. Even if they sent down 3 replcable players (Josh Brown, Stecher and Ryan) to get to 20 players (the minimum), they would likely still be over from what I can tell.

Thanks. Well, I’m really curious now with Holloway if they will match or not. If Kane is going to be a problem either way if he is not LTIR, would make sense to just keep Holloway. Unless there is another trade that can be made that makes a “Holloway-sized” hole viable for keeping a healthy Kane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad