Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] D Ryan Suter signs with the Blues (1 year, $775k; +$2.225M in performance bonuses)

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
The more I think about it, the more I don't hate this move for the Blues TBH.

There is so much recency bias going on with people after Suter ran out of gas in the WCF.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
2 teams would rather pay him to not play for them rather than having him around and still manages to find a job

How much will he make this season for this contract +bonuses+Stars money and Wild money ?

Is it like 3M here 750K from stars and 5M from wild for 8.75M total

Wild have the highest cap hit, but will likely pay him the least. Wild are only paying him slightly less than 900k.

The cap hit is a result of his AAV being well below what he was paid early in the contract.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
CBA needs to do something about the cap circumvention with performance bonuses. Something like "10 games played" for 2mil extra or whatever it usually is isn't really how they're meant to be used, if you ask me. The main function there is not to reward performance, but rather to move a part of the cap to the following year, aka cap circumvention.

What "cap circumvention"? It's like the Boston thing with Bergeron and Krejci. It pushes cap to next year, but it all still comes due. And in a lot of cases, it's probably worse if you're paying a bunch of bonus cap to a guy who was washed and then isn't even playing that next year.

Because blues are a contender taking advantage of a loophole….

Blues currently sit at $7M+ in free cap space with their entire 23-man roster. There is no circumvention, there is no loophole, there is no paying it back later. Barring a very expensive trade deadline, we will just pay whatever bonuses on this year's cap at the end of the season.

I don't like this. I think Suter is an upgrade on who we have now, even though he is mostly cooked. We need a defensive D man to pair with Faulk who can take the easier defense minutes. He struggles with speed, but we'll have Leddy and Parayko out there against the top speedy guys when we can. So it does make some sort of sense,,,,excpept, we are not contending. A marginal 1 year upgrade is meaningless. Plus rumors of him being a bad teammate when we need to be injecting impressionable younger players into the line up. Just doesn't make sense.

But it is not cap circumvention or any such nonsense. Even if we did have to pay the bonuses next year.

Reactions: Vladys Gumption

westc2

Nov 2, 2015
St. Louis, MO
Not sure where fits among that group, but Suter probably had limited options

LHD: Krug (6.5 mil) - Leddy (4 mil) - Joseph (950K) - Perunovich (1.15 mil) - Suter (.775K+) - Tucker (800K)

RHD: Parayko (6.5 mil) - Faulk (6.5 mil) - Kessel (800K)

I don't think Kessel is currently on the roster. He's back in the AHL for now unless he gets called up mid-season. I don't think they signed Suter to sit in the press box so he will definitely start, and won't be replaced unless he plays bad.

Left side will be Krug + Leddy + Suter
Right side will be Parayko + Faulk + Perunovich/Tucker/Joseph

I think any of those bottom 3 guys could swap to the left side 3rd pairing if Suter needs to be benched.

Reactions: LetsGoBLUES91

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I don't think Kessel is currently on the roster. He's back in the AHL for now unless he gets called up mid-season. I don't think they signed Suter to sit in the press box so he will definitely start, and won't be replaced unless he plays bad.

I think any of those bottom 3 guys could swap to the left side 3rd pairing if Suter needs to be benched.
Armstrong has said that the right side is set with Parayko, Faulk, and Kessel. Kessel has his spot.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015

Huh?

Matt Kessel is 1000% no doubt about it slam dunk take it to the bank bet the house on the roster. IMO the big question with Kessel is not if he’s on the roster, but rather whether or not he plays more sheltered 3rd pairing minutes or is able to handle harder 2nd pairing minutes.

I think we’ll see some experimenting with Suter - Kessel and Suter - Faulk pairings, and the more successful of them will get the tougher minutes. If I had to bet, my money is on these pairings:

Leddy - Parayko
Suter - Faulk
Krug - Kessel

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
I guess it depends on home.

If yall told me I had to retire this young and spend all my time with my wife I'd probably be happy.....but I know some folks wouldn't be lol

Easy to say when you're not a pro athlete. These guys only have so much time before their bodies give up on them, and I'm sure most of them love the game more than almost anything else. Who are we to judge when these guys should stop playing?

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Huh?

Matt Kessel is 1000% no doubt about it slam dunk take it to the bank bet the house on the roster. IMO the big question with Kessel is not if he’s on the roster, but rather whether or not he plays more sheltered 3rd pairing minutes or is able to handle harder 2nd pairing minutes.

I think we’ll see some experimenting with Suter - Kessel and Suter - Faulk pairings, and the more successful of them will get the tougher minutes. If I had to bet, my money is on these pairings:

Leddy - Parayko
Suter - Faulk
Krug - Kessel

That might be a decent bet. Krug and Kessel played well together for the most part last season, and it kind of balances out the 3 pairings. But I can also see Suter being a steady partner for Kessel. I'm sure they will try both combos and we will see what happens. Kessel is the wild card and I'm very curious to see how he looks this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad