Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] D Ryan Suter signs with the Blues (1 year, $775k; +$2.225M in performance bonuses)

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
CBA needs to do something about the cap circumvention with performance bonuses. Something like "10 games played" for 2mil extra or whatever it usually is isn't really how they're meant to be used, if you ask me. The main function there is not to reward performance, but rather to move a part of the cap to the following year, aka cap circumvention.

What "cap circumvention"? It's like the Boston thing with Bergeron and Krejci. It pushes cap to next year, but it all still comes due. And in a lot of cases, it's probably worse if you're paying a bunch of bonus cap to a guy who was washed and then isn't even playing that next year.

Of all the many ways that teams screw around and abuse little caveats and loopholes in the rules to manipulate their salary cap situation...deferring bonuses by a year for old as dirt veterans is among the least offensive to me. Because they do ultimately still have to pay the piper for it...just like a buyout that pushes cap repercussions down the line. Whereas a bunch of the other stuff going on, has virtually no adverse impact on the teams abusing it.

Anyway. This deal is wicked, because it means he's getting paid by three different teams this year. I hope they can deal him at the deadline with retention so it's 4 teams. And then he hits his easy bonus thresholds and retires so we can get him paid by 3 teams next year to not even play. :laugh:

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Demanded powerplay time in his heyday even when he was terrible on it. One of those guys where the team had to set things up around him. No idea why the Blues would do this.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
CBA needs to do something about the cap circumvention with performance bonuses. Something like "10 games played" for 2mil extra or whatever it usually is isn't really how they're meant to be used, if you ask me. The main function there is not to reward performance, but rather to move a part of the cap to the following year, aka cap circumvention.
Because blues are a contender taking advantage of a loophole….

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
There are reports. Reports of refusing to be a healthy scratch. Reports of being angry if paired with a LHD.

I've seen nothing about him being a good teammate.
Thanks.

But how does one refuse to be a healthy scratch? That one step above a NMC? Can’t even take me out of the lineup clause?

Reactions: biturbo19

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
I don't get the obsession (or perhaps the tier below "obsession" as to not be upsetting) so many people have with the terms "circumvention" and "loophole" in situations that are blatantly obvious and within the agreed upon rules. It's also not like this is unaccounted for money that is double secretly no-state-taxed into loopville...it counts against the cap, and if it ends up putting you over, you pay for it next year.

It's just a regular part of the regular rules that comes up pretty irregularly in certain circumstances that have remained unchanged for 20 years...

CloudYeller

Jul 8, 2024
Alright Stars fans, let's hear it: How good/bad is this guy on the blueline?
Good/bad is a great way to describe him. He's fairly steady right up until he suffers some cranial flatulence and lets multiple people walk by him like he's buying groceries and they're in the middle of a cereal aisle argument he wants no part of.

Been a constant source of gastric stress for me. I look forward to a heartburn-free 24/25 season.

Stock up on Maalox.

*EDIT to add that I've heard rumor that Suter had some kind of time on ice guarantee in his contract. I have no clue if there is any truth to that, or if anyone has that kind of deal, but it would explain why he was constantly on in situations where he just should not have been.

Also to add that his replacement is Matt Dumba. I see it as a solid upgrade. Take it as you will.

Last edited:

tabness

be a playa 🇵🇸
Apr 4, 2014
Suter made Nurse look worth every penny of his contract this playoffs

Ad

Ad

Ad