Half-Assed GDT: STL CHI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Yes we do. He provides everything you want in a 4th liner and showed he can win faceoffs too.

He should be kept over Kapanen.
Neighbors - Thomas - Kyrou
Saad - Buchnevich - Bolduc
Schenn - Holloway - Texier
Joseph - Faksa - Toropchenko
X- Walker, Sunny, Kapanen
Even if he ranks above Kapanen, at best, he's the 13th forward. There is no way I put Walker in above MJ or Toro. Sunny too, when he is healthy.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Holloway is really fun to watch.

Lot of compete, and a lot of speed. He could pan out to be a really good player.
He was the most fun player to watch during the SCF, besides Verhaege and ERod. He's got that Anthony Duclair puckhound nose. Great skater. Edges. Bam. He plays with a low center of gravity.

I've been over the moon and twinkling stars since he and Bro signed those OS.

CurrentCS

Jul 4, 2023
Was trying to think of who Ellis also reminds me of with how aggressive, but controlled, he's become in net and I got it. Jonathan Quick.

Not saying he's going to turn into Quick or whatever, just style wise with the aggression, athleticism and especially with his leg drives down low and post to post. I like what I'm seeing.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
Based on a couple preseason games? I am.

People seem to forget the NHL season is 82 games long. Dvorsky can’t handle that. He might look good for a couple weeks but I guarantee he will trail off and that’s exactly what Armstrong said he doesn’t want to happen.
Not sure I agree with that.

I'm not seeing him get out muscled.
There have been a few times that he's been a half step behind the play, but it hasn't been anything physical that's hurting him. I don't think he's any worse on that front than any of our other forwards. It's adjusting to the speed of the game that Dvorsky needs to work on. IMO he's not going to learn that in the AHL. Which makes me question whether the AHL will do him any good. And you know if he's racking up points, he's going to be targeted by a MacMac style goon at some point(too many of them still floating around the A for it not to happen).
Personally, I'd rather just keep him up. He and Toro can split time until the forward units shake themselves out.

CurrentCS

Jul 4, 2023
He was the most fun player to watch during the SCF, besides Verhaege and ERod. He's got that Anthony Duclair puckhound nose. Great skater. Edges. Bam. He plays with a low center of gravity.

I've been over the moon and twinkling stars since he and Bro signed those OS.
Same. I was for sure the Oilers were going to at least keep him. I mean we are only talking about less than $2.3mil/yr. To let him go over that was a HUGE blunder and I couldn't be happier.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada

There have been a few times that he's been a half step behind the play, but it hasn't been anything physical that's hurting him. I don't think he's any worse on that front than any of our other forwards. It's adjusting to the speed of the game that Dvorsky needs to work on. IMO he's not going to learn that in the AHL. Which makes me question whether the AHL will do him any good. And you know if he's racking up points, he's going to be targeted by a MacMac style goon at some point(too many of them still floating around the A for it not to happen).
Personally, I'd rather just keep him up. He and Toro can split time until the forward units shake themselves out.
I am worried about his speed. Not the speed at which he processes the game, he is actually doing well that way. I mean his actual foot speed. Do you think he is ready for the NHL in that respect?

CurrentCS

Jul 4, 2023
Neighbors - Thomas - Kyrou
Saad - Buchnevich - Bolduc
Schenn - Holloway - Texier
Joseph - Faksa - Toropchenko
X- Walker, Sunny, Kapanen
Even if he ranks above Kapanen, at best, he's the 13th forward. There is no way I put Walker in above MJ or Toro. Sunny too, when he is healthy.
Nobody is saying he should dress over anyone else, we're saying he deserves a roster spot as a reserve even over a guy like Kapanen.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Feels like every guy in the lineup is left handed.
Seems to be a league-wide problem.

Was trying to think of who Ellis also reminds me of with how aggressive, but controlled, he's become in net and I got it. Jonathan Quick.

Not saying he's going to turn into Quick or whatever, just style wise with the aggression, athleticism and especially with his leg drives down low and post to post. I like what I'm seeing.
I see that. Quick was economical in his movements. But aggressive and cat quick.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
I am worried about his speed. Not the speed at which he processes the game, he is actually doing well that way. I mean his actual foot speed. Do you think he is ready for the NHL in that respect?
I think he's borderline. Part of the speed problem is that he's a "slow down the game" type and he's been played with a lot of "off the rush" type players. I'd really like to see him and Tex together for a bit. I think they could really develop some chemistry together.

But even if you're right, is that really going to improve in the AHL?
The AHL isn't a "speed" League. It's a "physicality" league. It's where you send guys when they need to add some muscle/toughness. I'm not sure that's the area Dvorsky needs to work on.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
I think he's borderline. Part of the speed problem is that he's a "slow down the game" type and he's been played with a lot of "off the rush" type players. I'd really like to see him and Tex together for a bit. I think they could really develop some chemistry together.

But even if you're right, is that really going to improve in the AHL?
The AHL isn't a "speed" League. It's a "physicality" league. It's where you send guys when they need to add some muscle/toughness. I'm not sure that's the area Dvorsky needs to work on.
I agree with the bolded, which is why I disagree with the idea of keeping DVo in St. Louis. I think he needs to get physical with the big boys as soon as possible. He needs to get hit hard a few times to get him used the NA pro game. I'd rather he get beaten down a little in the AHL than in the NHL. idk just my thoughts.....

I thought Alexandrov was gonna wake up after he lost a tooth, but he didn't. DVo needs to get into the physical game, but not in the NHL.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
I know the immediate center situation sucks but shoehorning a 19 year old kid into a spot he's not ready for is not the answer.
Nobody is suggesting that we throw him straight into the top 6.
But a sheltered 3rd line role with Schenn next to him and Toro on hand to spell him regularly? I absolutely think he could handle that.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
If Dvorsky isn't ready for the NHL I'm not forcing him into the NHL. If he's forced into the NHL and we f*** up his progression we are f***ed in the longterm. Not every 19 year old needs to be in the NHL

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Nobody is suggesting that we throw him straight into the top 6.
But a sheltered 3rd line role with Schenn next to him and Toro on hand to spell him regularly? I absolutely think he could handle that.
I'm sorry, but that sounds even worse cuz there'd be bangers on the opposing line.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
I'm sorry, but that sounds even worse cuz there'd be bangers on the opposing line.
Sheltered meaning heavy offensive zone starts and a bit of PP time.
The same role we had Thomas in when he first started(with Schenn in the role of Maroon and Texier in the role of Bozak).

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011

Splitting time with Toro is a terrible idea. He needs to be playing big minutes every night in the AHL. I’m sure the front office agrees, which is why that’s what will happen.

CurrentCS

Jul 4, 2023
My postgame notes for tonight:

1) Perunovich is not an NHL dman....he brings negative value defensively while simultaneously not bringing enough offensively to put points on the board. Hall of fame AHLer.

2) Holloway was a gift. I'm still giddy we got him the way we did and this year as long as he can stay healthy will be his breakout season. Just like I expect Broberg to end up with Parayko by the end of the year, I wouldn't be surprised to see Dylan lining up next to Thomas and Kyrou to end the year as well. He's a middle 6 forward all day long.

3) Texier is going to be fun to watch as well. You could tell this was his first game but he brings speed and was active around the puck all night. He's clearly a 3rd liner at worst.

4) As much as I love Dvorsky he's just not quite ready. He's damn close though and for a 19 year old we should all be happy about that. I see him becoming a real 2-way force in time. Give him 30-40 games in the A and then lets see where he's at.

5) Walker deserves to be on this team.

6) Ellis has grown leaps and bounds in the last year and seems to have really found his style in net. I love the Blues depth at goal with him and Zherenko in the AHL.

7) Leo Loof looking quite solid out of nowhere was a really nice surprise tonight. Coming up through Sweden his game really reminded me of Nicklas Hjalmarsson quite a bit. He didn't get the minutes I thought he would in the AHL last season so hopefully he can establish himself more this year and push for time eventually. Likely a depth tweener but maybe he can develop into more.

taylord22

Mar 30, 2009
I think I’m in the middle on Dvorsky. He does not look out of place in the OZ/Forecheck. He clearly sees the game at a high level and has the skills to back it up.

He’s good enough on the wall/forecheck that Im convinced those skills will quickly translate to the defensive side. He knows when/how to pressure which is a hard skill to learn. If he was a winger, this would be a much harder decision.

Most importantly, he’s looked better every game he’s played.

Ultimately, I think he goes to the AHL mostly to build his confidence, which is clearly lacking right now. He’s playing everything safe and not being as assertive as his talent level beckons.

If this was 22/23 training camp, he’s on the roster.

blueper

Mar 29, 2012
Not yet on Dvorsky to me.
Bolduc scored 8 goals in 50 AHL games last season (I think he's gonna be very good very soon). Holloway scored 17 goals in 30 AHL games over the past 2 seasons. Holloway has scoring ability.
What we are already seeing isn't a fluke. The kid can play.
Works on his shot and his handles in traffic around the crease after every practice. Rink rat.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
When the Blues won the cup, Barbs, Sunny, Maroon and Blais were such key bottom 6 players. Holloway is better than all of them. What a freaking steal he was. Broberg and Holloway will become such huge additions, our re-tool just moved up 2 years. This is a playoff team right now.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Whatever we think about Dvorsky, Armstrong has all but announced that he’ll be sent to the AHL. I don’t think any GM believes less minutes in a sheltered role is preferable to a big role in the AHL for a 19y old.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Dvorsky isn’t ready. No big deal. He’s still a stud. Him and Snuggy will be beating down the door next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad