Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] Blues re-sign Jaden Schwartz [5 years, $5.35M AAV]

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

feds91

May 17, 2004
he should fire his agent (seriously!)
what a steal of a deal for the Blues

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
he should fire his agent (seriously!)
what a steal of a deal for the Blues

OMG, does no one understand that the AAV sound slow because there are so few UFA years involved?

it allows him to become a UFA at an age that is very advantageous to the player.

It's a trade off on term.

It would have been a much higher AAV with a 8 years deal.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
If term is 5, I like it. Rather have the chance to extend him at 29, instead of 31/32 and make a tough decision like we did with Backes because another team will overpay with term.

You'd be better off signing him for 7-8 years and milking the best years out of him.

Extending him at 29 is better for him as he can likely get another long term deal from someone.

Backes only got a 5 year deal. If he was 2 years younger, he likely could have gotten a 8 year deal.

The AAV is low because the player is a UFA at a time of his choosing.

bluetuned

Mar 1, 2013
Chicago
Seems like a deal that works out for both sides. Blues get him at a great rate. Schwartz gets to be a UFA before he turns 30. I wouldn't have minded a longer term deal, but I doubt Jaden wanted to do that. He'd probably have been happy to let it go to arbitration rather than sign a contract that carries into his 30s right now.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Good deal, only 400k more than Andrew Shaw
I looked at this and thought "there's no way that can be true." Shaw's cap hit is 3.9, so it's 1.4 more. Which makes a lot more sense. But still great value for Schwartz.

I'm surprised this thread isn't longer, this dude is an underrated player.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Sign a guy to a 5 year contract, terrible term, he'll walk at the end of it and you'll be kicking yourself for not signing him longer.

Sign a guy to a 7 year contract, terrible term, he'll be old, injured and that contract is gonna look like an albatross when it ends.

Just can't win.

Pretty much :laugh:

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Great AAV. Glad its done before it hit arbitration. But the downside is that 5 years from now, Schwartz will no longer be a Blue. He set this up to get to UFA early because he wants to get paid. Blues rarely pay big money for the top free agents. We always lose the bidding wars except in the case of Stastny where he took much less on the total contract to come home. Its the same situation as Shattenkirk. In 4 years, we will be trying to trade Schwartz (to one of his 15 teams) or lose him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad