Prospect Info: STI 2019 Draft Rankings, 1.0

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I'd rather Ray use these draft picks this year for two reasons. In fact, I want him to acquire even more draft picks if possible.

Reason 1: The draft is looking like a very deep draft. 2015esque deep. The more picks you have, the more chances at a home run pick.

Reason 2: There is an abundance of Palmieri/Johansson type players available in UFA this summer. I don't think it makes sense to give up a 2nd and 3rd round pick for a 24/25 year old. I'd rather just use cap space and sign a 26/27 year old instead. There are so many top 6 forwards available this summer, one of them is bound to sign with NJD.

We'll see how Shero handles it. Like I said, I think we're in a difficult position to screw up.

Reactions: Bet the Over

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I think I've heard Brayden Point used as a comparison for Turcotte. I don't know if it's accurate and I don't remember where it's from so take it with a grain of salt (shrugs).

Also, a common comparison I heard for Matthews before the draft was Kopitar. I'd bet the only thing those two players have in common is that they're both tall and are centers so frankly, you should take all comparisons with a grain of salt. There will never be another Datysuk (another common comparison thrown for skinny kids).

I never heard Matthews compared to Kopitar. They have little in common. Matthews is kind of a unique player, tough to compare. I guess my closest comparison would be: more athletic Stamkos, but even that is imperfect.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
There is no redundancy with Turcotte when Zacha is the Devils’ 2c and scoring less than 30pts. The biggest knock on Cozens is his IQ from my understanding. He tends to get hemmed up coming up the ice. He doesn’t drive play? While versatility is fine he might be better suited for wing. Turcotte might be the only “true” center in the top 5. Hughes is small, Kakko/Cozens will probably be wings and then there is Byram. I argue while Nico is a great 2-Way player and a great playmaker he is still improving as a center. He gets bullied from time to time, his face offs are a work in progress.Many thought he would end up on the wing. I feel Turcotte is a better “Center” at the same stage.

Hughes is a true center. Turcotte and Zegras (both top 10 picks and C) often are moved to the wing to play with him. Though, in Turcotte's defense, he tends to play much more comprehensively in the defensive zone than Hughes and it's not close. But you want Hughes to have the puck more than anyone who has been in the draft since McDavid. His size should not be used to define him, he changes the game every time he hits the ice, the entire other team backs up and starts playing more conservatively.

I agree with you on Turcotte entirely, however. The guy is just a two-way beast and a true center. If the Devils pick in the 3 to 6 range, he has to be considered a favorite along with Byram and Cozens. [Just a note -- Cozens' hockey IQ is not in question, it's just that although he has good vision, it is not on the elite level of centers Hughes/Turcotte/Zegras/Dach -- but Cozens offsets that by being the best pure scorer of any center in the draft aside from Hughes.]

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
The Russian kid seems like he’s going to be a beast. I have no problem if Shero takes him.

Podkolzin is indeed an outstanding prospect -- I keep comparing him to Matt and Brady Tkachuk for his outstanding scoring ability, ultra-high compete level and terrific two-way acumen. That being said, he has not shown clear superiority to other top 7 prospects who are more likely to come to North America (Podkolzin has publicly stated he may stay in Russia awhile) and plays a position (left-shooting winger) which the Devils are pretty deep in, so I have to say his odds of being taken by Shero, while not impossible by any means, seem far lower than Byram/Cozens/Turcotte.

Reactions: My3Sons

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Hughes is a true center. Turcotte and Zegras (both top 10 picks and C) often are moved to the wing to play with him. Though, in Turcotte's defense, he tends to play much more comprehensively in the defensive zone than Hughes and it's not close. But you want Hughes to have the puck more than anyone who has been in the draft since McDavid. His size should not be used to define him, he changes the game every time he hits the ice, the entire other team backs up and starts playing more conservatively.

I agree with you on Turcotte entirely, however. The guy is just a two-way beast and a true center. If the Devils pick in the 3 to 6 range, he has to be considered a favorite along with Byram and Cozens. [Just a note -- Cozens' hockey IQ is not in question, it's just that although he has good vision, it is not on the elite level of centers Hughes/Turcotte/Zegras/Dach -- but Cozens offsets that by being the best pure scorer of any center in the draft aside from Hughes.]

Not to completely set myself up for disappointment but if we were lucky enough to win the #1 overall... based on your description of Hughes needing the puck on his stick as much as possible, should he 100% be split from Hall and allow them to each lead a line when at 5v5?

Reactions: StevenToddIves

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I'd rather Ray use these draft picks this year for two reasons. In fact, I want him to acquire even more draft picks if possible.

Reason 1: The draft is looking like a very deep draft. 2015esque deep. The more picks you have, the more chances at a home run pick.

Reason 2: There is an abundance of Palmieri/Johansson type players available in UFA this summer. I don't think it makes sense to give up a 2nd and 3rd round pick for a 24/25 year old. I'd rather just use cap space and sign a 26/27 year old instead. There are so many top 6 forwards available this summer, one of them is bound to sign with NJD.

The problem is a lot of those UFAs don't get to UFAs. They also seldomly work out.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space
Actually, no if I were to describe him it'd be a talented grinder. Obviously he had some skilled plays but for the most part he got the "dirty goals". I can't remember many moment where I was like "damn that was sick", I was just happy cuz the devils got another goal. With hall for example though, a lot of times i'm very impressed.

In the end though, different types of players but same production.

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011
This is actually the first time I've seen this. I have a hard time believing Cozens is faster than Turcotte. Turcotte is really fast.

I should probably rephrase as it is, indeed, hard to quantify Cozens being faster than Turcotte. Part of the allure for me with Cozens is he is an incredible skater for a big guy at 6’3”. You just don’t see that combination of size/speed all that often. While he has some work to do in getting stronger (which can be said of most of these kids as they are growing into their bodies), the size/speed/potential strength/scoring upside is just so appealing to me. The Devils could use some “beef” upfront. As talented as Nico and Bratt are, they get pushed off the puck a little too much for my liking (I anticipate Nico improving that part of his game some as he gets older and stronger). Despite being a big guy, Zacha plays a bit small for his frame. While the NHL is more of a speed game now with less emphasis on size, it’s still important to have a good mix of different kinds of players and some bigger ones. As the saying goes, size is one thing you simply can’t teach.

Cozens would be a unique talent for us and blend well with our playmakers. I’ve seen some posters lament the fact we haven’t had true finishers for some of the amazing, creative plays that Bratt makes. Just imagine this kid playing with Bratt...we need more pure goal scorers.

By no means am I dumping on Turcotte. From all accounts, it sounds like he will be a fantastic player. I would not be disappointed if he is the Devils pick. It’s just at this juncture, my personal preference is Cozens.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
And to take a different tack on my Parise argument, if all it took to score 30 goals consistently was a high grinders mentality, then every bottom 6 in the NHL would be stocked with 30 goal scorers.

Parise had talent that complemented his work ethic and willingness to get into the dirty areas. Excellent close quarter skating and hands.

Reactions: nugg and My3Sons

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
And to take a different tack on my Parise argument, if all it took to score 30 goals consistently was a high grinders mentality, then every bottom 6 in the NHL would be stocked with 30 goal scorers.

Parise had talent that complemented his work ethic and willingness to get into the dirty areas. Excellent close quarter skating and hands.
I think Parise's shootout moves is pretty much proof that he had a high skill level and not just a grinder.

Reactions: nugg and My3Sons

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I should probably rephrase as it is, indeed, hard to quantify Cozens being faster than Turcotte. Part of the allure for me with Cozens is he is an incredible skater for a big guy at 6’3”. You just don’t see that combination of size/speed all that often. While he has some work to do in getting stronger (which can be said of most of these kids as they are growing into their bodies), the size/speed/potential strength/scoring upside is just so appealing to me. The Devils could use some “beef” upfront. As talented as Nico and Bratt are, they get pushed off the puck a little too much for my liking (I anticipate Nico improving that part of his game some as he gets older and stronger). Despite being a big guy, Zacha plays a bit small for his frame. While the NHL is more of a speed game now with less emphasis on size, it’s still important to have a good mix of different kinds of players and some bigger ones. As the saying goes, size is one thing you simply can’t teach.

Cozens would be a unique talent for us and blend well with our playmakers. I’ve seen some posters lament the fact we haven’t had true finishers for some of the amazing, creative plays that Bratt makes. Just imagine this kid playing with Bratt...we need more pure goal scorers.

By no means am I dumping on Turcotte. From all accounts, it sounds like he will be a fantastic player. I would not be disappointed if he is the Devils pick. It’s just at this juncture, my personal preference is Cozens.

That's an excellent argument you present there. Though Cozens is still #5 on my "Devils wish list", I have said and will keep saying that I would be thrilled if the Devils were to draft him in June. There's really no one in my top 9 I would be unhappy with, though it would help if Podkolzin showed a greater desire to come to North America.

The draft lottery is less than a week away, and we will know more at that point in time. Winning Hughes or Kakko would be a huge jump-start to the organizational rebuild, but as I keep saying, it's pretty certain that the Devils are coming away with a franchise cornerstone in what looks to be a top-6 pick in a top-heavy draft class.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
my honest hope is that this is the last draft of the rebuild as we know it. we should have the pieces in place for a core going forwardand hopefully don't have a top 5-10 pick in the near future. i know some people are pessimistic about next season already but with good goaltending and a healthy hall plus another year of nico and bratt i want them to make the playoffs

Reactions: MichaelJ

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
In 'Seems People Should Listen To Me About Bowen Byram' news of the day, the latest McKeen's rankings are out, and they have just bumped Byram up to #4 overall. The McKeen's top 10:

1 Hughes
2 Kakko
3 Dach
4 Byram
5 Podkolzin
6 Cozens
7 Zegras
8 Krebs
9 Turcotte
10 Soderstrom

I'm still going on the record as saying that Byram will not be around after the #4 pick in the 2019 draft, and I certainly can't see him sinking below #3 on my own rankings.

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011
In 'Seems People Should Listen To Me About Bowen Byram' news of the day, the latest McKeen's rankings are out, and they have just bumped Byram up to #4 overall. The McKeen's top 10:

1 Hughes
2 Kakko
3 Dach
4 Byram
5 Podkolzin
6 Cozens
7 Zegras
8 Krebs
9 Turcotte
10 Soderstrom

I'm still going on the record as saying that Byram will not be around after the #4 pick in the 2019 draft, and I certainly can't see him sinking below #3 on my own rankings.

I agree. There is always a premium on D and since this is not a deep draft at the position in round 1 like last season, Byram will be even more sought after. Before anyone argues this inflates his value and that he wouldn’t be a top 3-5 pick otherwise, I really implore you to do your research. Read about this kid and watch his tape; he is just outstanding. I’ve read that arguably no other player has improved as much as he has this year. He’s also younger than many of his other peers and even 8-9 months can make a big difference at this stage of these kids’ developments.

It is for this reason that I badly want to draft no worse than 1.4 if we can’t win a lottery ball. I’ve hyped up Cozens but I am firmly on the Byram train after “the big two.” Of course I’d be thrilled with Cozens and also would not be disappointed if the pick is Turcotte. This regime has earned my trust with late round gems in Bratt and Davies...and selecting Nico of course when many were split on the Nico vs Nolan debate.

vtdevils2k

"Lets Go Baby!"
Dec 16, 2013
Virginia
I agree. There is always a premium on D and since this is not a deep draft at the position in round 1 like last season, Byram will be even more sought after. Before anyone argues this inflates his value and that he wouldn’t be a top 3-5 pick otherwise, I really implore you to do your research. Read about this kid and watch his tape; he is just outstanding. I’ve read that arguably no other player has improved as much as he has this year. He’s also younger than many of his other peers and even 8-9 months can make a big difference at this stage of these kids’ developments.

It is for this reason that I badly want to draft no worse than 1.4 if we can’t win a lottery ball. I’ve hyped up Cozens but I am firmly on the Byram train after “the big two.” Of course I’d be thrilled with Cozens and also would not be disappointed if the pick is Turcotte. This regime has earned my trust with late round gems in Bratt and Davies...and selecting Nico of course when many were split on the Nico vs Nolan debate.

All I will say and pray is we take BPA. I see all of this Byram talk and he looks damn good, but whoever we draft, please just be BPA.

Like you said, looks like we were right with Nico vs Nolan so I trust Shero and Castron.

Mckenzie's pre-draft rankings just came out, very interesting 3-8 on his list

https://www.tsn.ca/hughes-kakko-in-tight-race-for-top-spot-1.1284470

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
All I will say and pray is we take BPA. I see all of this Byram talk and he looks damn good, but whoever we draft, please just be BPA.

Like you said, looks like we were right with Nico vs Nolan so I trust Shero and Castron.

Mckenzie's pre-draft rankings just came out, very interesting 3-8 on his list

https://www.tsn.ca/hughes-kakko-in-tight-race-for-top-spot-1.1284470
The problem to me is that there may be 4-5 best players all on the same level. At that point you draft for position.

vtdevils2k

"Lets Go Baby!"
Dec 16, 2013
Virginia
The problem to me is that there may be 4-5 best players all on the same level. At that point you draft for position.

Eh i see what you’re saying, but we did that with Zacha and look at what people think of that.

Time will tell. Can have another potentially elite center to pair with Nico or another great defenseman to pair with the guys we have coming in

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011
Ironically, I just read a new article on NHL.com (Morreale) that lists Parise as a possible comparable to Turcotte. If there is any merit in this Turcotte comp, it makes him more intriguing to me. What’s not to like about a player with an endless motor who can excel in the dirty areas to score goals? I had thought Turcotte was more of a two-way puck hound and set up guy than goal scorer. I take this comp with a grain of salt as I have not seen it anywhere.

Other comps
Cozens: Kreider
Dach: Scheifele
Byram: Morgan Rielly
Kakko: Rantanen
Hughes: McDavid/Eichel

Central Scouting has Dach ranked as the #2 overall North American player. Scheifele seems like quite a lofty comp. Nothing against Dach but I’m not particularly interested in him or Podkolzin compared to some others that will be available.

Last edited:

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Eh i see what you’re saying, but we did that with Zacha and look at what people think of that.

Time will tell. Can have another potentially elite center to pair with Nico or another great defenseman to pair with the guys we have coming in

zacha wasn't really at the same level as the players around his rank. He was 100% potential, maybes, and ifs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad