News: Steven Stamkos to hit free agency on July 1st

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
1000030935.jpg

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
Nah they gotta move on in my opinion, we're headed into the mid 20's you have to recognize when to adapt and at least re-tool.
Oh, I agree. Would that the heir replacement in this scenario were someone along the likes of a Leon Draisaitl. Jake Guentzel, though? Yikes.

AirGut

Jul 1, 2019
Larry Brooks Bus Stop
www.capfriendly.com
Oh, I agree. Would that the heir replacement in this scenario were someone along the likes of a Leon Draisaitl. Jake Guentzel, though? Yikes.
they're never going to attain a player like Stamkos again unless they draft within the top-3 of a draft. Lightning fans should accept this as soon as possible. The glory days of stacked rosters with the added bonus of a tax-break are over, minus the tax-break but you get my point.

Reactions: Crunchrulz

Pablo El Perro

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
they're never going to attain a player like Stamkos again unless they draft within the top-3 of a draft. Lightning fans should accept this as soon as possible. The glory days of stacked rosters with the added bonus of a tax-break are over, minus the tax-break but you get my point.
It's just odd bringing back McDonaugh, if that's the case.

DownIsTheNewUp

Mar 27, 2017
Tampa
I know Jeff Vinik is one of the greatest things to ever happen to this franchise, but honestly surprised he's watching this play out this way and not stepping in somehow. Treating the long time captain, face of the franchise like this. No talks a year ago when he wanted to extend, tell him hes the biggest priority this offseason then follow that up with a lowball offer with whatever cap we have left, make trades to open up tons of cap then say you still have nothing more to work with. Vinik built a first class organization and had tons of success but this is the type of stuff you'd expect out of awful ownership. Maybe this team isn't high on Vinik's priorities anymore but this is embarrassing to watch play out.

AirGut

Jul 1, 2019
Larry Brooks Bus Stop
www.capfriendly.com
It's just odd bringing back McDonaugh, if that's the case.
yes but Mac & Brisebois seemed to have some sort of mutual agreement that Ryan would be back in a Tampa uniform at some point after he was traded. Initially I figured Tampa was trying to run it back much like PITT has tried to do but it's obvious that isn't the route any smart front office should take when managing a team.

Pablo El Perro

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
yes but Mac & Brisebois seemed to have some sort of mutual agreement that Ryan would be back in a Tampa uniform at some point after he was traded. Initially I figured Tampa was trying to run it back much like PITT has tried to do but it's obvious that isn't the route any smart front office should take when managing a team.
It's all bizarre to me. Trading Sergachev after he comes back in the playoffs, bringing back Mac, low balling Stamkos, pursuing Guentzel, seems to not add up to a singular direction for the team. I get trading Jeannot for anything.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
I'll say it now just so I don't appear to be roasting the team that signs him.
Unless he signs a great contract, which he won't, Stamkos will become an albatross in the near future.
Yeah, he was MIA during Tampas big moments, I am the organizations feels like they can win without him.

AirGut

Jul 1, 2019
Larry Brooks Bus Stop
www.capfriendly.com
It's all bizarre to me. Trading Sergachev after he comes back in the playoffs, bringing back Mac, low balling Stamkos, pursuing Guentzel, seems to not add up to a singular direction for the team. I get trading Jeannot for anything.
part of it is him wanting to stamp his own identity on the team. Next guy to leave is Hedman. Before you know it everyone that was apart of the Yzerman Tampa days will be long gone. Only guy I really see staying long-term is Point.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
You should add having a top farm system full of cap friendly contracts and players skilled enough to contribute when they are called up.
That was what enabled the organization to trade for the NHL assets needed to go back-to-back.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
part of it is him wanting to stamp his own identity on the team. Next guy to leave is Hedman. Before you know it everyone that was apart of the Yzerman Tampa days will be long gone. Only guy I really see staying long-term is Point.
Except the reports are favorable that s deal with Hedman is likely to get done this summer. Pretty confident that JBB has no plans of letting Hedman walk, where as perhaps he sees a roster configuration without Stamkos that is still favorable and competitive.

Reactions: AirGut

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Once McD came back, trading Sergachev was inevitable. Moser is much better suited to the role Sergachev had, rather than a guy making 8.5.

Why are aren't allocating some of that money to Stamkos is beyond me.

Pablo El Perro

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
Once McD came back, trading Sergachev was inevitable. Moser is much better suited to the role Sergachev had, rather than a guy making 8.5.

Why are aren't allocating some of that money to Stamkos is beyond me.
I actually like the Sergachev trade for Tampa, just, like you, don't see why the low-ball to Stammer.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I actually like the Sergachev trade for Tampa, just, like you, don't see why the low-ball to Stammer.
Yeah, it was just bad timing for Sergachev. We can't pay him that much while we wait for Hedman to decline, because he can't justify the contract with Hedman on PP1. And McD was brought back because Sergachev can't be the shutdown guy.

From everything I've seen, Moser is the underrated piece in the deal. And he will be a much better fit and cap hit for his role.

Yeah, it was just bad timing for Sergachev. We can't pay him that much while we wait for Hedman to decline, because he can't justify the contract with Hedman on PP1. And McD was brought back because Sergachev can't be the shutdown guy.

From everything I've seen, Moser is the underrated piece in the deal. And he will

Reactions: Pablo El Perro
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad