Confirmed with Link: Steve Mears to replace Jeff Rimer as CBJ TV Play by Play Voice

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
I mean I'm 47 so it is impossible for me to be a boyhood CBJ fan and that is why my first team was the NJ Devils when I started watching hockey in HS.

That being said, I've supported this team from day 1 and still follow the Devils to a lesser extent. It's hard because I don't live in NJ and I can be at NW Arena in 15 minutes from my house but I feel strong connections to both teams. I feel more connected to the CBJ because I'm here.

It's pretty fair to say that he grew up a Penguins fan but it can't mean he doesn't have connections to the CBJ that will obviously be rekindled deeper because he is now here locally.
That’s fine/great. Again, the context was whether he has some innate love for the franchise/city (since that’s how it’s being presented) and if that could’ve potentially helped him in his perceived “weakness” which is enthusiasm on goal calls. He doesn’t have that innate love for Cbus/CBJ, but that doesn’t mean he’s unworthy of being selected, won’t be a good announcer or won’t grow to love the CBJ/Cbus.

I guess I do find it weird that, yet again, they’re trying to overemphasize his Ohio connection / “one of us”. Just feels like yet another inferiority complex thing (like “out of our blue, we rise” and when every other interview with every recent signee/draftee the media emphasizes how excited they are to be a Jacket, see Svoboda’s tweet in the Lindstrom thread as yet another example) that’s been a stable of this organization for a while and especially since the post-2019 exodus. But whatever, just kinda weird to me but not a big deal.

Last edited:

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
That’s fine/great. Again, the context was whether he has some innate love for the franchise/city (since that’s how it’s being presented) and if that could’ve potentially helped him in his perceived “weakness” which is enthusiasm on goal calls. He doesn’t have that innate love for Cbus/CBJ, but that doesn’t mean he’s unworthy of being selected, won’t be a good announcer or won’t grow to love the CBJ/Cbus.

I guess I do find it weird that, yet again, they’re trying to overemphasize his Ohio connection / “one of us”. Just feels like yet another inferiority complex thing (like “out of our blue, we rise” and when every other interview with every recent signee/draftee the media emphasizes how excited they are to be a Jacket, see Svoboda’s tweet in the Lindstrom thread as yet another example) that’s been a stable of this organization for a while and especially since the post-2019 exodus. But whatever, just kinda weird to me but not a big deal.
I mean what else is there to emphasize?

Our long championship history? It's not like have a lot of positive historical things to embrace here.

Sometimes you just gotta deal with what you've got until you accomplish something else.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL

Our long championship history? It's not like have a lot of positive historical things to embrace here.

Sometimes you just gotta deal with what you've got until you accomplish something else.
I would be fine with just emphasizing his ability/skill/experience as an announcer, without overemphasizing some connection to Cbus/CBJ that (up until his hiring) barely existed but is now being portrayed as a deep connection/part of the reason he was hired.

Or in the case of players, emphasizing their ability as players and what role they can bring to the team, rather than “this is so great to be drafted by such an incredible like Columbus!” that comes across fake and/or trying too hard/an inferiority complex.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I think in this context it's just a get-to-know-you type intro. The hook could have been that the guy has like six dogs or something. Instead it was BG and hockey in Ohio. That's cool too I guess.

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Sponsor
Jul 13, 2022
Finland
I dare say on behalf of all the Finns... we don't. :D

Feels par the course for these kind of things, regardless of team. Endearing the new guy to fans to find some common ground (maybe the "one of us" was a bit far but anyhow). It's just good marketing and PR for the team and the new guy.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
To belabor the point…

Mairzy Doats was my dad’s favorite song. He was a huge novelty song guy, and we have a reel-to-reel tape of him singing it with me when I’m about 3.

Anyway, after the graveside service following his funeral proper (in 2016) we gathered the immediate family around the casket and sang it.

Apologies for the real life sharing, but some things are just really core.

EDIT:
And who had "forgotten, obscure old novelty song is a core thing for someone" on their bingo card today?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad