Speculation: Stefan Rosner: Leafs interested in Varlamov

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
you had said you wanted 1st equiv value and I was showing you that they are in fact 1st round pick equiv value.
But they're really not.

And that's the reason you want to dump them instead of Lili.

I'm not sure how many times NYI fans have to say they have no interest in an undersized forward who had trouble in his NHL debut. Or a 20 year old winger who is having a solid season in the NCAA. Or whoever.

The only two futures pieces the Leafs have that have first round value are its first round pick and Lili.

Varly has first round value.
Mayfield has first round value.

You can do the maths here. If you want both NYI pieces, you know which pieces need to come back. If you want only one NYI piece, you can keep Lili.

Deadly Dogma

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
But they're really not.

And that's the reason you want to dump them instead of Lili.

I'm not sure how many times NYI fans have to say they have no interest in an undersized forward who had trouble in his NHL debut. Or a 20 year old winger who is having a solid season in the NCAA. Or whoever.

The only two futures pieces the Leafs have that have first round value are its first round pick and Lili.

Varly has first round value.
Mayfield has first round value.

You can do the maths here. If you want both NYI pieces, you know which pieces need to come back. If you want only one NYI piece, you can keep Lili.
I value Lilj more than a 1st so if its the hill your willing to die on then 2022 1st and 2023 1st lottery protected

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
I value Lilj more than a 1st so if its the hill your willing to die on then 2022 1st and 2023 1st lottery protected
22 first round pick
22 second round pick
23 first round pick lottery protected (converts to 24 first round pick unprotected if the 23 first round pick is in the lottery)
Mzarek

for

Varlamov 50% retained
Mayfield

I'd do that from NYI perspective.

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
Every other team seems to be obsessed with Liljegren.

I would rather keep him and try out luck then overpay for 1.5 years of Mayfield whose only value over him is that he’s taller and slightly more physical.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
22 first round pick
22 second round pick
23 first round pick lottery protected (converts to 24 first round pick unprotected if the 23 first round pick is in the lottery)
Mzarek

for

Varlamov 50% retained
Mayfield

I'd do that from NYI perspective.
may as well add the 2022 7th so we don't even have to go to the draft, I personally feel the 2nd is too much so I would like a lil something, Do you guys have a gritty bottom 6 winger that is around a 2nd in value?

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
may as well add the 2022 7th so we don't even have to go to the draft, I personally feel the 2nd is too much so I would like a lil something, Do you guys have a gritty bottom 6 winger that is around a 2nd in value?
Uhh, the second round pick is for taking on this turd of a contract on. And that's a steal for the Leafs considering you guys paid a 13th overall to get rid of Marleau in the past.

1647494886888.png

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Not interested in moving Mayfield in the same deal as Varlamov. If he is moved at all, it should be in a separate deal. I prefer the Isles don’t move Mayfield though.

Perfectly fine with taking on Dermott in a Varlamov deal. I actually wouldn’t mind pairing him up with Mayfield on the Isles third pair.

Absolutely not interested in Mrazek.

Goalie trades are hard to predict, not sure what Leafs would have to pay in addition to Dermott.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
I'd want Knies but I can totally understand the Leafs saying he's a non-starter even if both Varly and Mayfield are in the deal.

I don't think Varly would get a great return on his own. However, Mayfield for two playoff runs is definitely worth a "top" prospect (meaning top 50 prospect) in addition to a pick (1st round pick + "B" prospect, 2nd rounder + "A-" or "B+" prospect.

Don't think either will be moved out of loyalty, NTC protection or Islanders need...so it'll give ammo to the "OMG HES SO SENILE SPORT HAS PASSED HIM BY" critics.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
I'd want Knies but I can totally understand the Leafs saying he's a non-starter even if both Varly and Mayfield are in the deal.

I don't think Varly would get a great return on his own. However, Mayfield for two playoff runs is definitely worth a "top" prospect (meaning top 50 prospect) in addition to a pick (1st round pick + "B" prospect, 2nd rounder + "A-" or "B+" prospect.

Don't think either will be moved out of loyalty, NTC protection or Islanders need...so it'll give ammo to the "OMG HES SO SENILE SPORT HAS PASSED HIM BY" critics.
personally I have no issue moving Knies in a deal for Mayfield and Varly. My issue was moving Lilj right now.
do you think Knies+1st+2nd+Mrazek is enough for Mayfield+Varly@50%?

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Swap Engvall for Knies. Especially if NYI is taking back Mrazek (which I don't think they'd want to do).
we only have a 1st, 2nd and conditional 7th in the 2022 draft. so why not see if we can include all 3 of those picks so we can take the draft off lol
so 1st+2nd+7th+Mrazek+Knies for Varly@50%+Mayfield.
IMO I would like conditions on Mrazek, if he plays more than 40 games for the Isles over the next 2 seasons you owe us a 2024 2nd?

frederixx

Dec 5, 2005
leafs are pushing hard to get Varlamov. I'd say they get him this weekend.

Dumbas going all in, he won't stop there

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
personally I have no issue moving Knies in a deal for Mayfield and Varly. My issue was moving Lilj right now.
do you think Knies+1st+2nd+Mrazek is enough for Mayfield+Varly@50%?
It’s taking back Mrazek’s cap hit for the next two years which would make me want more coming from the Leafs.

Took a first to ditch one year of Marleau at 6. Even though Mrazek is “serviceable” it’s not like he’s desirable.

I realize his salary needs to be going the other way but between retaining on Varly AND taking on full Mrazek the 2nd isn’t enough

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Wait why are the Isles taking on the Mrazek contract? And why are the Isles also retaining on Varlamov? We’d be spending more on goaltending and getting worse results. If we’re going to downgrade in net, we better be at least saving money that can be used elsewhere.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Wait why are the Isles taking on the Mrazek contract? And why are the Isles also retaining on Varlamov? We’d be spending more on goaltending and getting worse results. If we’re going to downgrade in net, we better be at least saving money that can be used elsewhere.
The Leafs need to escape those contracts Dubas screwed up on so every other team needs to play nice and just help them out. It’s the center of the hockey universe rule.

LivingRentFree

Feb 18, 2007
Alberta
The Leafs need to escape those contracts Dubas screwed up on so every other team needs to play nice and just help them out. It’s the center of the hockey universe rule.
Do Islander fans really get to call out other teams for bad contracts? Aren’t you still paying Rick Dipietro?

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Do Islander fans really get to call out other teams for bad contracts? Aren’t you still paying Rick Dipietro?
DP was how long ago? At his cap hit wasn’t even bad. Even without the injuries he was a decent starting goaltender. He might still be getting paid but it’s not against the cap.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Reality is, if trading Mayfield, the Isles would probably love to get back Justin Holl given that he's a marginal downgrade for another $500k, and you're unlikely to get a defenceman like him for $2m in UFA. .

You think going from Mayfield to Holl is "a marginal downgrade?"

Are you for real?

Reactions: PWJunior

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Mrazek is not happening, no matter what, with two more years at $3,800,000 and a buyout costs cap space for four years.

Campbell is UFA after this year so you could theoretically add him and re-sign him in the offseason but that is highly unlikely too. The whole point of Campbell to Toronto was the $1,650,000 salary

So assume Varly at 80%, which would mean about $1,700,000 * .8 = $1.360,000 left if my math is in the ballpark

Add Clutterbuck at about $1,100,000 remaining and you get $2,500,000 approximately

Shouldn't be too difficult to absorb and we take Dermott back at $1,500,000 for next year and about $500,000 for this year

So, it's about cap neutral for the Isles this year and next, so what is the 'hockey trade' equivalent?

Certainly a 1st has to be part of this. Then it gets difficult because the Leafs' system isn't exactly teaming with top prospects. I looked through the list on Capfriendly and the only possibilities that might tempt are not sure things.

At least Joey Anderson has had some NHL play in NJ so that's a maybe. Semyon Der-Arguchintsev is a maybe but Russian players are a bit of a wild card right now.

The biggest problem is to find that balance between prospect and draft picks. I don't see how Toronto gives up Robertson since he seems their best prospect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad