Speculation: Stefan Rosner: Leafs interested in Varlamov

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
The reason this is speculation and not a rumor is because I don't know how credible Setfan Rosner is.

But Setfan Rosner of NYI hockey now is reporting that the Leafs have in fact added Varlamov to their short list of goalies and are in contact with the NYI regarding Varlamov

Again I don't know how credible Rosner is but it makes total sense the Leafs need a goalie and Varlamov has a year left on his deal which means he's not a rental, unlike Fluery.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Not sure how credible that guy is, but it makes sense that TOR would at least inquire about him.

He's a good goalie, he's paid reasonably for his performance (not sure if his contract would fit with TOR but that's a different story).

Reactions: banks

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
What would islanders want as far as futures go to swap roster pieces of Mrazek + Dermott/Holl for
Varly + mayfield + clutterbuck?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Not sure how credible that guy is, but it makes sense that TOR would at least inquire about him.

He's a good goalie, he's paid reasonably for his performance (not sure if his contract would fit with TOR but that's a different story).

It would mean Campbell isn't back and that's fine

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
What would islanders want as far as futures go to swap roster pieces of Mrazek + Dermott/Holl for

The main purpose of trading Varly is to open some capspace. While Mrazek is a downgrade in terms of caphit, I think the Islanders can do both better and cheaper on the UFA market. If Leafs want to dump Mrazek a third team probably would be needed. In the case of Mayfield, while I am not saying Islander won't trade him, it will take a huge package to acquire him since his contract is ideal even if he is a UFA come 2023

Reactions: PWJunior

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
I can’t see this happening unless the Leafs move out contracts to a 3rd team. Mrazek, Dermott and Holl all have too much term for the Islanders to go anywhere near when it comes to taking a contract back in return for cap purposes.

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
I'm guessing the Leafs would be adding their 1st or top prospects if that's the pieces they want. Seems like a great fit considering the holes the Leafs have right now.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
The Islanders have no reason to trade either, especially Scott Mayfield. Knowing this, immediately forget about the Islanders retaining salary, or taking back a contract unless it somehow upgrades the Islanders or it also includes a prospect/pick heavy package. Players like Dermott and/or Mrazek do neither.

Reactions: PWJunior

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I can’t see this happening unless the Leafs move out contracts to a 3rd team. Mrazek, Dermott and Holl all have too much term for the Islanders to go anywhere near when it comes to taking a contract back in return for cap purposes.
You want to argue that taking back Mrazek at $3.8m x 2 while sending out Varlamov at $5m x1 "doesn't do enough" from a cap standpoint...I get that; and there may be some credibility behind that if the Isles think they're some tweaks away from being contenders.

But when when you then try to apply that same that logic onto a pair of NHL defencemen making $1.5m and $2m for 1 year; you really lose all credibility / reek of homerism.

Reality is, if trading Mayfield, the Isles would probably love to get back Justin Holl given that he's a marginal downgrade for another $500k, and you're unlikely to get a defenceman like him for $2m in UFA. If trading anyone, they'd probably be more than happy to get Travis Dermott back, who would probably be their 2nd best LHD.

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
Toronto needs to make this deal. I don’t care how optimistic you are about the Leafs goalies turning it around, playing a Florida-based team in the first round is gonna be rough with that goaltending tandem.

Reactions: Albus Dumbledore

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Toronto needs to make this deal. I don’t care how optimistic you are about the Leafs goalies turning it around, playing a Florida-based team in the first round is gonna be rough with that goaltending tandem.
I agree. The team is good, competition is always there and we have to persevere. We may lack picks but no shortage of prospects and young players. f*** em up.

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
As an outsider, I don't really think Mayfield is available. His sweetheart deal is just too, well, sweet for Lou & Co to move. I suspect the Isles brass view this year as a misstep and will probably tinker & reload for another run rather than blow things up. Maybe a massive overpayment (think Blake Coleman deal) but even then I don't know.

Varly? Maybe.... but it sure seems like they value having 2 competent goalies. Not sure there's a match here unless a third party gets involved to take on Mrazek, or perhaps their stupendous goalie gurus feel they can rehabilitate Mrazek (he's a talented albeit wildly inconsistent guy imo)

Could see Clutterbuck being moved ~ very experienced, useful role player ~ then circling back to re-sign in Long Island in the summer

Deadly Dogma

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
I can see something around Varly+Mayfield
Varly 50% retained+Mayfield for 2022 1st+2022 2nd+Niemela+Mrazek

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Varly 50% retained
Mayfield

for

Liljegren
First round pick
Second round pick
Mrazek
the issue is the time we have invested in Lilj. We really went slow and steady with this guy and trading him now just as it looks like all the work is paying off sucks.
Any other prospects you like?

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
the issue is the time we have invested in Lilj. We really went slow and steady with this guy and trading him now just as it looks like all the work is paying off sucks.
Yeah you invested time into him. And in my proposal, you'd be getting a return for him (and other futures) by getting a goalie your team desperately needs for its playoff run, and a battle-tested 6'4 defenseman who is making peanuts this season and next season. NYI would also be taking an anchor of a contract for you.

It takes value to get value back.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Yeah you invested time into him. And in my proposal, you'd be getting a return for him (and other futures) by getting a goalie your team desperately needs for its playoff run, and a battle-tested 6'4 defenseman who is making peanuts this season and next season. NYI would also be taking an anchor of a contract for you.

It takes value to get value back.
I don't mind offering value, I just mind Lilj going.
what about Knies, Niemela, Robertson?

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
I don't mind offering value, I just mind Lilj going.
what about Knies, Niemela, Robertson?
I mean I wouldn't trade Mayfield this year for anything less than a first+ or an equivalent prospect considering the market, his playoff pedigree, and his contract status.

Considering Varly + your cap dump is equal value for the Toronto first round pick and second round pick, you're effectively asking if those prospects are worth a first round pick.

And in my opinion, they're not. They're more like "second piece of the trade" type prospects.

The only way I can see Mayfield going is if a prospect like Lili, who has equivalent first round pick value, is coming back.

If you don't want to give him up, you should probably focus on just Varlamov.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
I mean I wouldn't trade Mayfield this year for anything less than a first+ or an equivalent prospect considering the market, his playoff pedigree, and his contract status.

Considering Varly + your cap dump is equal value for the Toronto first round pick and second round pick, you're effectively asking if those prospects are worth a first round pick.

And in my opinion, they're not. They're more like "second piece of the trade" type prospects.

The only way I can see Mayfield going is if a prospect like Lili, who has equivalent first round pick value, is coming back.

If you don't want to give him up, you should probably focus on just Varlamov.
Knies, Niemela and Robertson are all ranked in the top 30 prospects I believe.

Reactions: banks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad