Stay Classy Tim Leiweke

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Not to come in defense of Leiweke, but is it expected of him to say anything other than what was said? Of course he's going to pump the tires of Leafs fans and kiss their *****, it's because he is viewed as another American business man who is stepping in to takeover a proud Canadian city's franchise (much like how Burke was viewed upon taking over the Leafs).

In addition to that, Leiweke is a salesman, so he's going to promote whatever product he's selling like crazy. His tumultuous exit from AEG probably has something to do with his bitter attitude as well. Could really care less as to what he thinks, the fans like you and me remained loyal to the Kings, before Leiweke was around and will remain so for decades on.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Not to come in defense of Leiweke, but is it expected of him to say anything other than what was said? Of course he's going to pump the tires of Leafs fans and kiss their *****, it's because he is viewed as another American business man who is stepping in to takeover a proud Canadian city's franchise (much like how Burke was viewed upon taking over the Leafs).

In addition to that, Leiweke is a salesman, so he's going to promote whatever product he's selling like crazy. His tumultuous exit from AEG probably has something to do with his bitter attitude as well. Could really care less as to what he thinks, the fans like you and me remained loyal to the Kings, before Leiweke was around and will remain so for decades on.

Very true.

Where would he be without the Kings though? He wouldn't have a fancy job in Toronto that's for sure.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Agree with Ziggy

I think he just trying to pump up the leafs tires. You could really tell last year how much the kings winning the cup meant to him. I think he is still bitter about getting canned by Phil. Now I think he probably could have done a better job trying to sell the leafs and not to look like he's throwing our team under the bus.

northernKing

Jul 15, 2004
Probably just bitter that he is no longer in LA as the team has become a perennial contender and still has a large window of opportunity based on the age of our core and the depth of the organization. A hockey fan doesn't always equal a knowledgable fan. Up here in Canada hockey is talked about non stop but I can truly say the knowledge of the game and passion that many non Canadians have on this board is very impressive. Toronto fans are a rare breed indeed having very little success but to take a shot at LA and its fans seems petty. Go Kings!

Puck U

2012 SC CHAMPIONS !
Aug 2, 2005
Apple Valley, CA.
Well to be completely FAIR to LieWeekly ,

this was the scene OUTSIDE Maple Leafs arena during Round #1 AWAY games ...

maple_leafs_square.jpg.size.xxlarge.promo.jpg

image.jpg

versus they wont even show the game outside of Staples Center for our Kings anymore ... not when they can get you to PAY to go inside ESPN Zone or Trader Vic's or where ever ... so as crappy as it was for him to say it ... he's kind of right.

Of course we have DIE HARD PASSIONATE LA KINGS FANS here in LA and abroad, but the city of Toronto, the Media there, the ownership, they take it to another level of giving it back FREELY to their fans. :(

They only time WE got something like THAT for being FANS here in LA was during our VICTORY PARADE.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Believe me, he will not have much nice things to say about Toronto once he's kicked on his rear end when he doesn't turn that franchise around. Every single move he makes is going to be observed under a microscope. He doesn't have the luxury of avoiding media like he did in Los Angeles.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA

image.jpg

versus they wont even show the game outside of Staples Center for our Kings anymore ... not when they can get you to PAY to go inside ESPN Zone or Trader Vic's or where ever ... so as crappy as it was for him to say it ... he's kind of right.

Of course we have DIE HARD PASSIONATE LA KINGS FANS here in LA and abroad, but the city of Toronto, the Media there, the ownership, they take it to another level of giving it back FREELY to their fans. :(
Exactly. Can't disagree with any of that.

Puck U

2012 SC CHAMPIONS !
Aug 2, 2005
Apple Valley, CA.
Believe me, he will not have much nice things to say about Toronto once he's kicked on his rear end when he doesn't turn that franchise around. Every single move he makes is going to be observed under a microscope. He doesn't have the luxury of avoiding media like he did in Los Angeles.

Oh I agree with all the points you made in this post and the one above ... I'm no Leiweke fanboy, don't get me wrong ... but their is some assemblance of truth in the smoke he was blowning up their arses.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

image.jpg

They only time WE got something like THAT for being FANS here in LA was during our VICTORY PARADE.

That's an NBC kibosh. Penguins tried doing this in the past, got away with it once or twice, and NBC threw a fit

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether

image.jpg

And parking prolly cost a ton there for the parade, no?

I agree with everything you said by the way puck.

Give TL time and he will get those Leaf fans into a TSN Zone bar or a Trader TimmyHo's! (Their Maple Marlies Shots are great!).

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
No, I paid $7 ... and no I'm not telling you where (near Olympic & Georgia) ;)

Your alright with me. I don't pay to park when I go to Staples Center (I have a pass that I get to use). Still, for all of the hassle I go through to get tickets and parking etc at $7 it would be worth it just to pay the money for the 5 or 6 games at most I get to attend in person per season.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
This is still a town full of casual sports fans that wish it was the Lakers playing in June instead of the Kings.

Agree. This is not a hockey town plain and simple. It's a Lakers town, even when lose, they still get the press. The pecking order in this town goes Lakers-Dodgers-USC-Clippers-KINGS.
I really dont have a problem what Tim said, because he's right in a way . LA has its hockey fanbase, the fans are great and as passionate as any, but it can't be compared to Toronto where EVERYTHING revolves around the Leafs. Also , it looks like Tim lost a bunch of weight.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I didn't have any problem with anything he said. Hockey is crazy here, between the fans and the media coverage there is no offseason. Today someone spied Dallas Eakins, the Marlies' coach, at the airport getting on a plane to Vancouver for another interview with the Canucks and it was immediately all over twitter and the radio.

The only thing I miss about being a Leaf fan is the fun during the playoffs and always having someone to talk hockey with. They've had so many bad years that the love of the game has dropped off to a point.

Martyros

Allow me to retort
Aug 13, 2005
Holly Hood
Well, can you really argue that LA is a hockey town? Our own media doesn't know what it's about :laugh: We probably just have more loyal fans who never give up on the team than an average city/team does.

KingPurpleDinosaur

Bandwagon Kings Fan
Dec 17, 2002
irvine, ca
www.anteaterhockey.com
LA is not a hockey town. Canada is a hockey country. Hurts to hear, but it's the truth. Just compare the nightly news, it's world's apart. I seen it myself.

Don't take it as belittling the passion of the Kings fanbase though. We may not be huge, but still very passionate. And that's all we can be at the moment.

Shellz

May 6, 2009
California
I hope he never wins the cup with Toronto. That's all I will say.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious, ya **** head. Okay, that's all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad