Pool: Statsy's WJC Pool: 8th Edition

Tomsburninghat

Dec 13, 2013
British Columbia
HAPPY NEW YEARS EVERYONE!!!

I'm just happy to finally be within the pack...
I thought I actually had 11 pts after counting again but I didn't realize Hollenstein was rested :P - I sure hope the Swiss don't go with Charlin again since he beat Finland...
My points were:
Broberg - 1G
Podkolzin - 2A
Heinola - 1A
Cozens - 1G / 3A
Byram - 1A

Good luck the rest of the tournament!

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
HAPPY NEW YEARS EVERYONE!!!

I'm just happy to finally be within the pack...
I thought I actually had 11 pts after counting again but I didn't realize Hollenstein was rested :P - I sure hope the Swiss don't go with Charlin again since he beat Finland...
My points were:
Broberg - 1G
Podkolzin - 2A
Heinola - 1A
Cozens - 1G / 3A
Byram - 1A

Good luck the rest of the tournament!
I thought that you had included Hollenstein in that count until I realized those numbers didn’t match either. Lol

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
After Quarterfinals:

StandingsDay7.png

Well now my friends... things just got interesting. Yesterday's action brought about a seismic shift to the top of the standings table. GrandLarseny had an excellent day picking up 11 points to move into top spot! Although an 11 point day is good in its own right, the fact is that yesterday had a bunch of low scoring games, which were reflected in the overall point totals. Christien has another quiet day with just 3 points to cost him first, while Canada4Gold also sees a three point day that results in a drop from 3rd to 5th. The other guy that put together some solid numbers was Khabby, who also had an 11 point gain. He jumps up to the Bronze medal position from 5th. FightingSioux's 4 points keep him just behind the front runners. Statsy's 7 points help him move up to 32 points along with WeThreeKings. The players are also tied in goals, and I haven't ever really determined if there is more value in assists or goalie points, so we're just going to call that a tie.

We are down to the last handful of games now, which most likely number five, and the margins at the top are razor thin! This is perhaps the closest pool I've run to date. With fewer games on the schedule and the rapidly increasing urgency, I'll make sure the next two days are updated quickly. Good luck everybody!

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Have all my players remaining should help. GrandLarseny has 9 of 10 and a great goalie too though so it'll be tough.

GrandLarseny

Jersey Enthusiast
Aug 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Damn that was a helluva climb. All this and I still have Byfield with a goose egg, I hope the rest of my boys can pull through here in the home stretch!

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
After first Semifinal:

StandingsDay8A.png

What a first semifinal for Khabby! He fires off 8 points, including 4 from the red hot stick of Rasmus Sandin, jumping him into top spot, and with a nifty 4 point margin! After that things are still tight at the top. On to the next semi!

Last edited:

Khabby

Mar 3, 2007
Halifax
This is going to be an exicting finish, that is for sure! Need Mercer to get rid of that Gooseegg! So far another 3 from the next game

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
After Semifinals:

StandingsDay8B.png

Both Semifinals are now in the books! Khabby continues to pour it on as he collects another 3 points in the Canadian romp. His 11 on the full day are far ahead of the rest of the field. GrandLarseny, Christien and FightingSioux all have have their struggles on this pivotal day picking up 3 points apiece, which keeps their order intact. It's still anyone's game for the Silver and Bronze and we have also seen enough huge days from people to consider the Gold still well within reach. C4G was so full of hope at the beginning of the day with all of his players in action (minus the injured Kupari). Those nine players combined for a grand total of zero points. Ouch! The basement race has yet to be decided either as Tom's 5 points allow him to gain a bit of ground on the sputtering Statsy. The final day of action has another three games on tap as those with German players hope for some relegation points against a surprisingly improved Kazakh team. The Bronze and Gold games are on tap with some hardware to be handed out in Ostrava and on HFBoards as well! Best of luck everyone!

Tomsburninghat

Dec 13, 2013
British Columbia
The basement is getting cold, I think tomorrow I'm getting out. It's looking like C4G and my 3 year hardware stint is coming to an end. It's been getting better and better each day, exciting Rus/Swe semi and wow...Canada has officially awoken!!! Here we go!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Statsy

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
What's worst than nothing? Because there is something that's worse than nothing. It's when you get less than nothing, aka nothing and your goalie losing the starting job... again

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Wow, what a game! This tournament never fails to disappoint. No wonder I love it so much.

As for the pool... unfortunately you’re going to have to wait a little longer as I haven’t slept since yesterday. I’ll be back in a couple of hours with the final totals.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Final Standings:
Standings-Final.png

...And we have a winner! Congratulations Khabby! He continued to fire on all cylinders as he was the high point earner once again on the last day of the competition. His Swedes earned him another 7 points for a tourney total of 58. GrandLarseny picked up a solid 6 points to close out the Silver. Christien manages to hold on to the bronze even though his team stopped scoring for him in the medal round. Statsy finished strongly with a 6 point outing to climb from 7th up to a far more respectable 5th. Once the Gold Medal winning goal bonus of 30 points is added in, he looks to be the new winner of the pool! I knew there was a reason I took Akil Thomas! :sarcasm:

C4G's players seemingly went on strike during the medal round, leaving him tied at 39 points with WeThreeKings, who picked up just a single point today. Last and most certainly least, is Tomsburninghat with 33 points. There's always next year, Tom!

Last edited:
Reactions: GrandLarseny

GrandLarseny

Jersey Enthusiast
Aug 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Not a bad way to make my debut in this pool, if I do say so myself. I will not be pulling a Lias Andersson and tossing my silver medal into the crowd, haha.

Congrats to Khabby on the W! And a very big thank you to Statsy for all the work you do hosting. I look forward to challenging for gold next year!

Reactions: Statsy and Khabby

Khabby

Mar 3, 2007
Halifax
Thanks for another awesome pool Statsy! It only took me 8 years but I finally got my gold! I think I have been in every place but first since we started. Hopefully I can defend it next year!

Reactions: Statsy and Dave92

Christien

May 1, 2010
Another year another great pool! It was awesome doing this again with you guys this year and a huge shoutout to Statsy for putting this all together and doing such a great job. Hope to see you all next tournament :thumbu:

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I often pick players from the big 5 because it gives me lots of players left at the end rather than begging for your 2 guys left to get hattricks. That however doesn't work when they just stop scoring. What a weird ending. 15 points on new years eve to only get 5 for the knockout rounds.

Congrats Khabby, Larseny, and Christian for a solid event, and of course Statsy for the well run pool as always. Can't wait for next year where I'll show you all how to do this the Wright way. It'll be the best pool performance you've ever Shane.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Thanks a lot Stasty, honestly I never felt you were really behind on updates and hope you continue to host this holiday tradition next year. Awesome job as always.

Not a good tournament for me. Wahlstrom being loaned along with USAs idiotic coaching made my first pick a bust. Jenik got injured. Stutzle was out for two of the games I specifically drafted him for. Bragin put Askarov in for moments he just wasn't ready for which hurt points from Miftakhov.

Lucky to not be last.

Tomsburninghat

Dec 13, 2013
British Columbia
Thank you again Statsy for a great pool and keeping everyone on top of things during the draft, updating every day and making sure we get the very most out of the tournament every year. As proven every year, this is the best darn tournament in sport - yes, all sports! I love the games and the compete from these kids. Already looking forward to next year! All the best to all of you in the New Year! Hope you're as golden as CANADA!

Ad

Upcoming events

• New York Yankees @ Minnesota Twins
    New York Yankees @ Minnesota Twins
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $3,757.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Las Palmas vs Real Betis
    Las Palmas vs Real Betis
    Wagers: 2