Starting goalie

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
2013-2014: .923 SV%, playing 55 games (would be more if not for injury)
2014-2015 first half: .920 SV%, playing 28 of 41 games

Sample size has been too small this year to make any inferences. So he's had half a bad season of play, and only when the entire team collapsed. Why do people always think only the most recent ~35 games for a player (any player, not just Bernier) are the most indicative of their ability. It's very rare for a player to actually undergo a serious decline before a certain age, depending on their position, it's much more likely to just be a little fluctuation. Carey mother****ing Price had a .905 save across 38 games in the lockout season.

Bernier has shown he has the potential be a starter, and he's still young (there are only a couple starters in the league that are younger).

Agree 100%. It's amusing that so many are writing off Bernier at this stage. I remember late last season, most were saying similar things about Gardiner, basically that he's a head case and who cares what we get back for him, just trade him now etc. Now Gardiner's rep is for the most part rehabilited (due in no small part IMO to the tireless work Nithoniniel has done exhibiting statistical evidence showing Gardnier to be not bad at all). Does anyone still want to trade Gardiner for a bag of pucks?

It wouldn't surprise me the least bit to see Bernier regain his form which is yes, a legitimate top 10 goalie. I'm not saying it will happen and I don't know what the odds are that it happens. I do think however that it is absolutely possible that it does happen, it could happen very soon and trading him at this point (for what would likely be a relatively insignificant return) would be incredibly stupid.

Everybody just stay calm, there's no need to panic here. If by the end of the season Bernier hasn't turned it around then I'd agree it makes sense to start planning for a future without him. Right now though is just too early. Much too early.

A rebuild cannot be done without having patience. Period.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Everybody just stay calm, there's no need to panic here. If by the end of the season Bernier hasn't turned it around then I'd agree it makes sense to start planning for a future without him. Right now though is just too early. Much too early.

A rebuild cannot be done without having patience. Period.
This.
Plus losing this year = good draft pick = win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad