Post-Game Talk: Start the plane! Jets win 4-1

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Great road win. Jets weathered the obvious first period storm and just capitalized on their chances. Subban was invisible and Rinne **** the bed tonight. Jets can play a hell of a lot better, I don't think Nashville has much more to give than they showed tonight.

Win one on the road at least to give us an edge in the series. Hell, now we can go for two on the road! Go Jets Go!

Invisible? You call grabbing Lowry by the head and ripping off his helmet being invisible?

Buddy, you've got to pay more attention to the game!

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Invisible? You call grabbing Lowry by the head and ripping off his helmet being invisible?

Buddy, you've got to pay more attention to the game!
Perhaps he meant invisible when doing anything meaningful, which would be fairly accurate.

Conflicted Habs fan

"Beauty will save the world" - Dostoyevsky
Sponsor
Nov 23, 2011
Montreal
I had doubts at first before the game but Helle kept the team a contender after the first period with 20-5 shots against and up 1 nothing. That has got to have an effect in that it goes under their (Predators) skin. I've seen this with Price, if a hot goaltender gets under the skin of the opposing team, it becomes a psychological game there on in and teams will begin defeating themselves more than anything the Jets will do.

Also during Helle's stare down at the camera this bad ass song would be apt

Last edited:

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Nashville had 30SOG at the 10 minute mark of the 2nd period. The Jets played a really solid last ten minutes of the 2nd. Third period I chalk up to score effects.

I think we got this boys and girls. Rewatching it gives me lots of confidence. It's amazing how dangerous the Scheifele line was and how much zone time they had. Ehlers played much better than originally thought. The one man zone entry machine.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Rewatching the first period and this is the most venue bias on the shot clock I can ever remember. There were clear Jets shots not recorded. Even on the goal Rinne makes a save on Little's backhand before Tanev score. Shots went from 3-4 only. They probably didn't even record a shot attempt there.

Knew something was up there. Those numbers didn’t seem right one bit. I really question people who watched that whole game who blindly believe those shot numbers.

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
Nashville had 30SOG at the 10 minute mark of the 2nd period. The Jets played a really solid last ten minutes of the 2nd. Third period I chalk up to score effects.

I think we got this boys and girls. Rewatching it gives me lots of confidence. It's amazing how dangerous the Scheifele line was and how much zone time they had. Ehlers played much better than originally thought. The one man zone entry machine.

Ehlers' speed (and skill) is such a valuable weapon

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
I read a series preview piece that said NSH's one weakness was defending off the rush, and the Jets, and especially Scheif, are pretty good at creating off the rush.

We certainly saw that last night. All 3 non-EN goals were off the rush. That bodes well.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Agree. He made some big saves but they didn't have a ton of big scoring chances. Outside the pressure in the third, I didn't feel like Jets were outplayed at all in the first two periods despite what the shots were.
During Coaches corner they showed most of the shots from the preds. They were all from the blue line and helle could see them. They didn’t have much in close at all.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I don’t agree with the whole “Rinne was bad” theme. He got sniped once and his D didn’t do **** on those 2nd chances we scored on. Nashville D will need to be better.
Agree. The shots on goal do not tell the story. We played a very simple game and played it well. Our chances were great scoring opportunities

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Jets reminded me of a certain team last night in a sense that we bent but didn’t break, relied on our goaltending, but when given our opportunities we made the most of them(Scheif goal seemed like a carbon copy of this).

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Nashville rely on their top 4 d way to much this series could really grind them down especially when the Jets get their skate's moving.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Some of the comments in the GDT about Enstrom being bad could not be more inaccurate. Enstrom played very well. Sure he had a couple of turnovers but so did every other D. And one was on a reverse where 99% of the time Buff is there behind the net waiting. This one time he wasn’t. He boxed out very well, he contained the puck carriers to the outside by giving them very little, he broke up plays with his stick, and helped our breakouts immensely. Having him back with Buff really allowed Buff to roam a bit and do his thing.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
I was never that worried all game, even though we were out-shot badly. For years now, we have been saying the fundamental flaws of this team were:
1)goaltending
2)numerous and unnecessary penalties combined with poor special teams
3) poor team defensive discipline, resulting to too many GA, with related concerns about our coach and 'system'
4)too many injuries and not enough depth

Last night, even though they looked slow and cautious for the first half, they showed none of the above traits.
-Goaltending was rock-solid
-penalties were kept reasonable in number and we didn't respond to Subban's baiting by taking more
-even though we were slow and rusty for the first half, the system never broke down and so the quality of chances against was low; and
-the depth and stability of the team is remarkable--even with 2 starting Fs out, Little moves to wing on the third line, sets up the game-changing goal and Stastny, our newly-minted (but not new to the playoffs) 2C, scores the game winner.

Not their best performance by any means, but not the Jets of old by any means, either.

Last edited:

Shazzam

Now 20% Chunkier
Oct 29, 2015
Great White North eh...
Rewatching the first period and this is the most venue bias on the shot clock I can ever remember. There were clear Jets shots not recorded. Even on the goal Rinne makes a save on Little's backhand before Tanev score. Shots went from 3-4 only. They probably didn't even record a shot attempt there.

Glad you rewatched to check because this was my suspicion. I knew they had the greater edge, but not to that extent. What also supports this is the between period graphic showing the Preds zone time only 2 minutes longer.

Add a more fairer distribution of penalty calls and the game becomes more even.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I thought we put in a good effort last night, unlike what I saw in game 3 vs Minnesota. But we did get outplayed and spent a lot of time defending and Helle had some great positioning out there to keep their low % shots out. Our counter attack is deadly though. There wasn't any point in the game that I felt we were going to lose. Which is interesting considering how much Nashville had the puck.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Just re-watched the first period and Nashville's shot counters must be smoking the crystal because the are off on both teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad