Pre-Game Talk: Stars @ Sens Jan. 29. The Return of Mr. Giggles Part 2 Edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Ya, and a can't blame him. I just don't think his motive was to win a cup.
Sorry, I was talking about Spezza. He's saying he wanted out of the limelight and I believe him. If Alf says he doesn't think he could win the cup with Ottawa, then I guess that's his motive, but I agree with you that it's not really believable given where he went.

BigBush*

Sorry, I was talking about Spezza. He's saying he wanted out of the limelight and I believe him. If Alf says he doesn't think he could win the cup with Ottawa, then I guess that's his motive, but I agree with you that it's not really believable given where he went.

Ya, I understand Alfie, he had one more kick at the can. Spezza still has another good 5 years

great1

Nov 13, 2009
Fergus, Ontario

Who knows, maybe Alfie actually thought Detroit was a real contender. People have been talking about for years that Detroit would destroy the east and they had just taken Chicago to 7 games in the playoffs.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Spezza's in the prime of his career. If he's going to make a big contribution to a team winning the cup, it's going to be now, not in 5 years.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
When he was here, Spezza received immediate negative feedback when he made bad plays on the ice and he got the accolades when he played well so he doesn't need to be reminded.

I don't like that Spezza left to escape the heat and also nixed possible better trading partners for the Sens. I'm not happy with him because of that but I don't think he deserves to be booed for exercising his rights. Unlike Heatley at least he was honest about his plans not to re-sign at the end of this season and provided reasons with the fanbase. Alfie leaving may well have planted the seed in his brain that it's ok to be a bit selfish and consider playing elsewhere to satisfy ones own goals and peace of mind.

Those who want to thank him for his many years of exciting offensive plays should applaud him. Silence is probably the best option for those who are unhappy with his decision to leave.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Lines in practice according to our hockeybuzz chap

McArthur - Zibanejad - Ryan
Michalek - Turris - Stone
Hoffman - Pageau - Lazar
Neil - Legwand - Condra

Pretty cool

BigBush*

Spezza's in the prime of his career. If he's going to make a big contribution to a team winning the cup, it's going to be now, not in 5 years.

Woah, he's no longer in the prime of his career. We've watched all of his career as Sens fans we should know this... He's regressed big time! (that's not really an Insult, he's just not a top. 10 C in the league anymore)

SenatorArmy*

They should do a video montage but just for kicks throw in the footage of Crosby schooling him

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
People keep saying spezza said he "left to escape the limelight". Do we have a quote for this?

The guy has been in the spotlight since he was 16.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
People keep saying spezza said he "left to escape the limelight". Do we have a quote for this?

The guy has been in the spotlight since he was 16.

He basically said it in an Elliott Friedman interview they previewed on sports net. He said he wants to be a jeff carter type of player. He said hes working on his all around game... then Elliott asked if he was going to win the selke and spezza laughed and elliott laughed.

Heres the piece by some guy at sportsnet. Its has some spezza quotes from the interview(more on his regret that the SCFs team broke uP) that i think theyre showing tomorrow.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/spezza-regrets-breakup-of-senators-cup-finalists/

Heres parts of the interview
https://twitter.com/friedgehnic

Last edited:

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Switch Mihalek with Hoffman and I'd be ok. With the way the lines are there, it's basically neutering 2 lines that have been working.

as long as mac-turris-ryan are never together again. don't want to see a dominant line getting 80-90 goals a year.

:sarcasm:

SenatorArmy*

The video where spezza miraculously stayed with him the entire time and Crosby had to resort to throwing the puck to the blueline.

The video where Spezza failed to seperate Crosby from the puck for like 30 seconds allowing Crosby to make a pass for a goal

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
The video where Spezza failed to seperate Crosby from the puck for like 30 seconds allowing Crosby to make a pass for a goal

I know, eh? Why didn't Spezza, our top point-producing center, manage to immobilize Crosby, the league's strongest 1-on-1 in tight, and get the puck off of him?

Spezza, why weren't you great at everything?

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007

Wrong. Try again.

Crosby had to resort to shoveling the puck to the blueline where a light wrister by Letang eluded Brian Elliott. The same goalie replaced by Pascal Leclaire later in the series.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Spezza said this in an interview with Friedman. He also explained why alfie left and why he left. He said alfie left because he wanted to win and he left because he didnt like the spotlight, didnt want everything geared around him and wanted to win . He said he wants the role Jeff Carter had in LA he doesnt want to be the it guy anymore. He felt like his time was up in ottawa.

He said alfie thought the sens were going to be going through a little bit of a rebuild and didnt think the sens could win. I thought he actually gave a lot of good insight into why not only he left but why alfie left.

How is it ********? He wanted to be out of the spotlight AND have a chance to win. He also has to look @ salary caps and different team needs. Not every team needs a Jason Spezza or has the cap space to sign him to salary he wants.

It's not like he went to a team that is just starting a rebuild. Stars have a lot of good young pieces and they're willing to spend $$.

I can understand not wanting to be in the spotlight. I was once at the Chapters' near IKEA, and he was there picking up books for his kids. It's like the entire store was tip-toeing around him. Everybody was respectful and didn't bother him, but still it can't be nice when you know everybody's looking at you or pretending not to look (same thing). In Dallas people are too crazy about football to know him, and he can live a normal life.

Easy to say, for sure. Doing it is a completely different thing. I don't know a single star NHLer in a Canadian market that 'likes it'.

Aflie never cared for the spotlight. Luongo was glad to leave Vancouver, you never here a peep out of the Sedins, didn't Kesler specifically demand NOT to be a on Canadian team, all the leafs stars (don't need to add anything else to this), maybe Iginla? I don't follow Calgary much so I don't know how he was treated toward the end of his tenture there. Subban loves it, but he's still young. It really depends upon the age of the players IMO. All the young guys love the attention, but when you have a family and you start getting older I think the perspective changes.

It's also different being a captain when you are on the wrong side of 30 and the GM tells you we're going to have a budget for the foreseeable future, our coach is on thin ice and we think the defence (as is) is built for the playoffs.

So in short, Canada has a ****-all chance of getting a Cup in my lifetime.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Anderson has a hand injury?

Get the damn chickens out of the house! LOL

Hammond recalled on emergency basis.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
now that mac and turris are split, i wouldn't mind seeing hoff with turris. could be magical. also mac should help zib.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
He basically said it in an Elliott Friedman interview they previewed on sports net. He said he wants to be a jeff carter type of player. He said hes working on his all around game... then Elliott asked if he was going to win the selke and spezza laughed and elliott laughed.

Heres the piece by some guy at sportsnet. Its has some spezza quotes from the interview(more on his regret that the SCFs team broke uP) that i think theyre showing tomorrow.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/spezza-regrets-breakup-of-senators-cup-finalists/

Heres parts of the interview
https://twitter.com/friedgehnic

“[Spezza] said his biggest regret was that they broke up the team too quickly that went to the 2007 Stanley Cup Final,†Friedman told Sportsnet 960 The Fan on Tuesday. “No, they didn’t win. They got knocked out by Anaheim, and they had a rough year the next year, but he felt that Ottawa gave up too quick on that team. And that was his biggest regret.â€

Two years after their Stanley Cup appearance, the Senators missed the playoffs for the first time in 11 seasons despite still having one of the best first lines in the game. However, diminishing returns from Heatley, who felt neglected and improperly used under new head coach Cory Clouston, led to his trade request and subsequent departure to the Sharks in the off-season.

With the Sens unable to reach the heights of 2006-07, Alfredsson departed for a last-ditch effort at a championship a few years later with the Detroit Red Wings. Spezza left the following year.

“They’ve lost Heatley. They’ve lost Alfredsson. They’ve lost him,†Friedman said. “And I asked him about that: ‘Why does Ottawa lose those guys?’ He kind of did an end-around the question, but at the end of the day he said, ‘We want to win.’

“The city there, they have a bit of an inferiority complex, and I see them watching these three guys walk away, and you sit there and say, ‘What’s wrong with our team? Why can’t we keep our players?’ “

It’s a question that haunts both the city of Ottawa and Spezza to this day.

OUCH!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad