Confirmed with Link: Stars hire Jim Nill to 5 year contract as new General Manager

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
It's only a Gibbons/Edmonton rivalry going on here :D:naughty:

I don't know this TJ fella but I do know he's a big Stars fan. Plus, if I think I know who he is, he's got a nice sister and she's quite a looker too.

I sound like a stalker!

You dont wanna rumble with Gibbons!! We some rumblin hicks out here haha.

And you are correct sir on who I am. Alli was Gregor's producer while Meg was on mat leave. Ill pass on the compliment for ya too.

How come there are so many non-Texas resident Stars fans here? How do you come about liking the Stars of all teams?

I grew up just outside of Edmonton during the Gretzky era. I was just a little guy but my big bro and I were hockey crazed. Pretty much handed skates and sticks when we were born. Anyways, we collected hockey cards and those OPC sticker albums. We'd buy packs of stickers to fill our albums after every game/practice. I remember really liking the name "Minnesota North Stars", the colors, and the symbol. So I would estimate being a fan since about 1984/85. I even recall watching Modano's draft on tv that Saturday morn in 1988. Love at first sight.

Ill admit I was devastated when the team moved. Think I even shed a tear or two.

Last edited:

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
I think it's interesting when people like teams in random places..REALLY like them, like enough to get so involved in this forum. It drives me nuts when people here in Texas are huge fans of teams in other parts of the country that they've probably never been to. I don't get it, and could never have an attachment to a team anywhere else. I've tried and I couldn't get myself to care..like EPL..I want to have a team to root for but can find no reason to care about any of them. What the hell do I know about some town in another country and how could I possibly become a fan or care about them? That said, I'm glad y'all are Stars fans of course..need all of them we can get.

HatchtrickBateman

Jun 29, 2011
Lincoln, NE
I grew up in lincoln, ne and played youth hockey in the lincoln stars'(ushl) youth hockey program. I was obviously a big fan of them and then soon learned of the Dallas Stars. Pretty sure, as a kid, I was drawn to the name, and the very similar jersey design. I began watching their games, Modano and Hatcher immediately became my favorites. As a Nebraskan, my professional sports teams are quite random. Could never be a fan of a different team though :yo:

aloonda*

we are getting close to the 7-10 day mark of the GMJN2 regime, I wonder how the evaluation pro-cess is going. What should that pro-cess look like?

If I was going into an organization I would spend my time:
1. watching and listening how things are done in every aspect
2. actively asking how things are done in every aspect

I would be doing such in order to learn who the people I am dealing with are. I would be doing such to see how efficient and effective the operating procedures are.

Then come up with a plan to correct or address problem areas or areas I think can be improved.

In the next few days we may hear small tidbits of news about changes within the organization that will shape things for a good time to come. I for one, am excited about it.

Dallasman

Jun 23, 2002
You never know...
How come there are so many non-Texas resident Stars fans here? How do you come about liking the Stars of all teams?

I'm 29 years old and was a North Stars fan from the age of 5. Loved them and followed them to Dallas when they came to Texas.

If anyone can get me a job in Dallas I will be forever greatful as I will buy season tickets until the day I die!

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
I'm 29 years old and was a North Stars fan from the age of 5. Loved them and followed them to Dallas when they came to Texas.

If anyone can get me a job in Dallas I will be forever greatful as I will buy season tickets until the day I die!

Times two! Except I'm 32, and started following modano when I was about 14. Always been my favorite player.

Can't wait for Dallas to return to the late 90's and early 2000 years

But ya, someone find us jobs so we can move to big D :)

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta

I was just there a week ago for the final two games. The ladies there are well worth the move. Throw in the Stars and it's the greatest place on earth.

37052_10151561119577445_151503314_n.jpg

Here's a beauty from grade 4.

249030_10151567299727445_1088458656_n.jpg

So anyways, that Nill guy, great hire.

Last edited:

Dallasman

Jun 23, 2002
You never know...
I was just there a week ago for the final two games. The ladies there are well worth the move. Throw in the Stars and it's the greatest place on earth.

37052_10151561119577445_151503314_n.jpg

Here's a beauty from grade 4.

249030_10151567299727445_1088458656_n.jpg

So anyways, that Nill guy, great hire.

Haha!
I don't think my wife would approve of me chasing the ladies.
But she's all for me getting season tickets if I ever get a chance to move there.

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
Haha!
I don't think my wife would approve of me chasing the ladies.
But she's all for me getting season tickets if I ever get a chance to move there.

Well I'm the kind of guy who just does it and worries about the consequences later. I posted that pic on FB while my bro and I were still there and my wife probably loved it haha. I push her buttons about Kaime but she knows I'm just messin. Kinda :naughty:

But seriously, Dallas is awesome. Great city. I recommend you take a week and head down. I'm planning on doing it again when they retire Mo's jersey.

Dallasman

Jun 23, 2002
You never know...
Well I'm the kind of guy who just does it and worries about the consequences later. I posted that pic on FB while my bro and I were still there and my wife probably loved it haha. I push her buttons about Kaime but she knows I'm just messin. Kinda :naughty:

But seriously, Dallas is awesome. Great city. I recommend you take a week and head down. I'm planning on doing it again when they retire Mo's jersey.

That's my plan too.
Have they announced when that will be happening?

BRoni

Jan 10, 2013
Dallas, TX
I'll go off topic too. I'm 32, was an army brat, but lived most of my teenage and adult life in South Carolina. My wife and I moved to Dallas a few years ago and that is when I fell in love with hockey and the Stars.

Dallas doesn't have a ton of natural beauty, it is basically, well just flat. It is an awesome city with a lot to do though. We love it here.

MetalGodAOD*

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 17s

No decision on head coach in Dallas, but asst gm, Frank Provenzano has green light to look for a new job. Helping transition in meantime.

Provenzano on his way out. Wonder if they're replacing him or just giving him the chance to get a head gig somewhere?

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Not a big surprise, Nill should have the ability to decide who his own assistant GM should be. Provenzano was probably the guy behind the NTCs-for-everyone policy. He does have the Eriksson and Daley contracts to hang his hat on though.

Kind of funny this is coming right after we got a little look into his job with that Connauton trade call. I'm sure someone will hire him.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
Not a big surprise, Nill should have the ability to decide who his own assistant GM should be. Provenzano was probably the guy behind the NTCs-for-everyone policy. He does have the Eriksson and Daley contracts to hang his hat on though.

Kind of funny this is coming right after we got a little look into his job with that Connauton trade call. I'm sure someone will hire him.

His wife is the official real estate broker for the Stars, bet they lose that gig too. Wonder if there's a way for someone outside the organization to get that position.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad