GDT: Stars at Sabres, 7 PM ET, October 22, 2024

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
No all those teams have 1 or 2 games in hand on them and if those teams take those 2 games and win them before Buffalo plays than Buffalo is at the bottom either dead last or 2nd last.

They still have a lot of ground to make up. The hole is getting less deeper tho.
Technically we are 2 points away from the division lead... Games in hand dont make that statement false. In reality, no team has come out HOT to start the year, and if the Sabres can continue to play well at ES and get their PP going it will bode well for them.

Reactions: SundherDome

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
No all those teams have 1 or 2 games in hand on them and if those teams take those 2 games and win them before Buffalo plays than Buffalo is at the bottom either dead last or 2nd last.

They still have a lot of ground to make up. The hole is getting less deeper tho.
As of today, they are 2 points out of the division lead. Same games played as Florida. The other teams will need to get points in their make-up games to catch us, as crazy as that statement sounds.

He might even get as bad as oilers fans after a few wins lol.
I will be Leafs going 16-0 in the playoffs and winning the cup level of insufferable. The negativity has really spread over the last year.

Reactions: BowieSabresFan

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
As of today, they are 2 points out of the division lead. Same games played as Florida. The other teams will need to get points in their make-up games to catch us, as crazy as that statement sounds.
Technically we are 2 points away from the division lead... Games in hand dont make that statement false. In reality, no team has come out HOT to start the year, and if the Sabres can continue to play well at ES and get their PP going it will bode well for them.
These comments are really disingenuous to the situation the Sabres have put themselves in.

• Love
Reactions: Fearnot

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
These comments are really disingenuous to the situation the Sabres have put themselves in.
I think you are assuming that we can't understand that 2 points out of the division lead does mean all else is equal. I understand that they have played more games than most teams. However, it's not hard to see that most team in our division have had OK starts to the year, and only two teams have what most would consider good starts (Lightning and Senators are 4-2).

I understand the situation the Sabres are in - they had a bad start with a badddd PP. While they are playing well at ES, they need to continue to win (have won their last two games) and not drop points as every point matters. I also mentioned this very clearly in my first post, so IDK why what I said initially is disingenuous to their situation since I pretty clearly explained their situation...

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
I think you are assuming that we can't understand that 2 points out of the division lead does mean all else is equal. I understand that they have played more games than most teams. However, it's not hard to see that most team in our division have had OK starts to the year, and only two teams have what most would consider good starts (Lightning and Senators are 4-2).

I understand the situation the Sabres are in - they had a bad start with a badddd PP. While they are playing well at ES, they need to continue to win (have won their last two games) and not drop points as every point matters. I also mentioned this very clearly in my first post, so IDK why what I said initially is disingenuous to their situation since I pretty clearly explained their situation...
I mean it is as straightforward and accurate as possible.
To be straightforward and accurate, we're also 2 points out from last place.

And by points% we're 7th in the division. Which is the most meaningful stat when comparing teams with a disparate number of games played.

GameMisconduct

Jul 20, 2006

And by points% we're 7th in the division. Which is the most meaningful stat when comparing teams with a disparate number of games played.
Sure, that's techinically true. but the thing with using that indicator at this point (and really all of these comparisons) is the sample size. Points percentage with a small number of games played really doesn't really indicate anything particularly definitively or more accurately at this time.

There are legitimate reasons on both sides for optimism and pessimism, but to say that a small gap in actual points is somehow blatantly misleading as stated earlier on the thread, just really isn't something that can be confidently concluded right now.

You can likely find some 8 game stretches of subpar results from even the best teams having a good season. They don't really mean much descriptively in the scheme of things. What matters is consitency over time and trends/trajectory (to a lesser degree).

The Sabres have a track record and some obvious problems (PP, production from some individual players) that means caution is warranted, as a longtime fan I definitely get that. But it's also true that at this point in the season the standings gap in absolute terms is very narrow and their play has generally trended up as the season as progressed. Those are reasons for some optimism at this point as well.

Reactions: SundherDome

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010

Absolutely - we are 2 points from first and last place in the division, and it shows that we have work to do. However, I dont like this idea that we start saying "if this then this then this" directed only one way. Too early in the season

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN

First one would take a miracle to have MTL pass us but it could happen so the first statement is correct.
Points percentage is accurate as well but it still doesn't take away from the fact that we are 2 points out from the division lead when made that comment Tuesday and still holds true as of typing this. It could still be possible tomorrow as well if the scores go out way tonight.

Multiple statements can be true, it's just the light they are viewed in.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
First one would take a miracle to have MTL pass us but it could happen so the first statement is correct.
Points percentage is accurate as well but it still doesn't take away from the fact that we are 2 points out from the division lead when made that comment Tuesday and still holds true as of typing this. It could still be possible tomorrow as well if the scores go out way tonight.

Multiple statements can be true, it's just the light they are viewed in.
Why would it take a miracle for MTL to pass us? They are 2 points back with a game in hand. We'll both have 10 games played as of next tuesday. So we'll have a good idea then.

Wouldn't it take a larger miracle for us to take the lead? We're 2 points back and have anywhere from 0 to -2 games in hand on the teams ahead of us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad