Online Series: Star Wars: The Acolyte on Disney+

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
They do not care to provide "quality writing". They are trying to reach the largest audience possible.
They are failing because the show is mostly boring and bland.
Yes.

I would argue that's what happens when you try and reach the largest audience possible.

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
Go watch a Kevin Sorbo movie (if you can find one), it seems to be more your taste?
The dude that played Hercules? Issue is not about my or your tastes, the story writing of The Acolyte has a target audience that is not for "the largest audience possible" but a more specific, minority, audience who has a specific political/religious, belief system. Do you deny this?

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
With Villeneuve's Dune movies it feels like he's coming at them with ambition. Same thing with James Cameron or Chris Nolan films.

Regardless of what you think of these guys, they're going BIG.

Star Wars should be fertile ground for massive epics. You need it driven by someone who's hungry and ambitious to do so.

Instead, Disney is churning out mediocre cheap looking streaming shows. I don't get it. Andor might be a partial exception.

Reactions: DustyDangler

The Great Mighty Poo

I don't like you either.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
Alright I'm convinced.

Mae and Osha's mom is the main bad guy and she's the one who did the bad stuff on that random planet.

The drunken tech guy is the evil apprentice.
I call him Aldi Brand Ezra Miller.

This shit is complete ass 🔥🔥🔥
That's both an insult to perfectly fine asses and noble shit.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
For all the crap I give Marvel, at least they understood they had to slowly ramp things up until they could handle juggling a bunch of different projects at once. They managed to make predicable and safe, but decent enough stuff for quite a while even when they were pumping stuff out like crazy.

Others like Disney and DC saw the money they were making and jumped right in. No real plans other than having lots of "content", no one in charge with a vision with what they were building towards. Put your focus into one thing, make it good, then move on to the next project.

Spitting out "content" as fast as possible only so that you have something to keep people subscribed to your streaming service does not seem sustainable. Brands like Star Wars have value, but the more you neglect them the more that value will diminish.

It's a shame because there is clearly still some potential in Star Wars. Andor and the first season of the The Mandalorian were really well done. Someone involved in the making of those really cared.

The only thing that is working for this show right now is the outrage about having women and minorities in it. The show is receiving way more attention than something of it's quality deserves. When that happens there will be people who go the other way with it. They'll dig in, grit their teeth and tell themselves they're enjoying it to support their side of the conversation around it (see Lady Ballers for an opposite example).

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Go watch a Kevin Sorbo movie (if you can find one), it seems to be more your taste?

Okay so this is unrelated but Kull the Conqueror is unironically one of my favorite films ever, hah.

The only thing that is working for this show right now is the outrage about having women and minorities in it. The show is receiving way more attention than something of it's quality deserves. When that happens there will be people who go the other way with it. They'll dig in, grit their teeth and tell themselves they're enjoying it to support their side of the conversation around it (see Lady Ballers for an opposite example).

Real talk. It isn't a good show, but a few are so stoked about denying negative reviews due to perceived anit-wokeness that they are going the exact opposite direction in support of it.

What a time to be alive.

Reactions: tacogeoff

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
With Villeneuve's Dune movies it feels like he's coming at them with ambition. Same thing with James Cameron or Chris Nolan films.

Regardless of what you think of these guys, they're going BIG.

Star Wars should be fertile ground for massive epics. You need it driven by someone who's hungry and ambitious to do so.

Instead, Disney is churning out mediocre cheap looking streaming shows. I don't get it. Andor might be a partial exception.
What is there even to do with Star Wars that hasn't been done at this point? I think the only way you can expand the universe is by getting rid of "the Force" altogether. As soon as the Force is involved it's all about revenge story and "the chosen one". Pretty boring at this point.

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
Which is who exactly? Gay women? People of color? Are you going to name the specific group or just hide behind "DEI" and "woke" like the rest of the cowards who constantly bitch about this shit?
If it must be named, it is written for the 2SLGBTQIA+ religion crowd and clearly not "written to the largest audience possible". The gay creator made it the "gayest entry in the Star Wars universe".

"People have told me it is the gayest Star Wars and I am frankly into it." - Leslye Headland, Creator of The Acolyte

Thus, 2SLGBTQIA+ folks should support it, it is written for them.

The Great Mighty Poo

I don't like you either.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
How is Ki-Adi-Mundi alive and well and a fully trained Jedi Master 40 years before he was even born? Is he now a Time Lord? I mean itd tie in since Disney is also beating the corpse of Dr. Who over the head with a shovel concurrently.

Sep 19, 2008
1718871881125.png

hb13xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Apparently they took out the fight scene between Kelnacca and the big bad for “story reasons.” I wanted to see a Wookiee doing some flips and shit and we were gifted more dialogue about how Osha can’t face Mae.

Big bad is definitely Mother Koril. She had major anger issues in Episode 3.

Reactions: Hint1k

The Great Mighty Poo

I don't like you either.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
Apparently they took out the fight scene between Kelnacca and the big bad for “story reasons.” I wanted to see a Wookiee doing some flips and shit and we were gifted more dialogue about how Osha can’t face Mae.

No, the master is definitely Enrico Palazzo, it's VERY obvious.

Reactions: BrindamoursNose

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007

Well that would have potentially been quality.

I'm team Smylo Ren, who is definitely the Qimir (wont be surprised if it is mother witch, but surely it's Qimir).

I don't give a shit about the gender or sexual orientation of my star wars characters (who, aside from Ani & Mundi are celibate anyway). It does seem to be becoming over the top to piss off traditional neckbeard fans, but whatever.

However, I do care about storytelling, acting, dialogue, and consistency in motivations. In these areas, the Acolyte fails completely. In a group of 10k Jedi, one said 'the Sith have been extinct for a Millennium'. Guess who gets a cameo in a show (before his alleged birth) with a Dark Jedi/Seth.
I've been bored by a few Star Wars shows, but I'm a major SW nerd, so I'm always game for more content, no matter how mediocre. Acolyte will put that to the test.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad