Online Series: Star Wars: The Acolyte on Disney+

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
Dear lord. Not only is this show tripe, but the lunatics have come out with inane babble about writing, meaning, expertise and other such nonsense.

Since when writing, meaning and expertise become synonyms of nonsense?

Oh, you mean they are nonsense to you and therefore people who have knowledge in these areas are lunatics. Got it. Thank you for your great input. It is really appreciated.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Is it lunacy? It's hard to tell on a message board, I was thinking more something akin to psychosis. I already underlined your undeniable superiority complex (which, again, is always only a mask for inferiority), and I really honestly hope you are well and don't mean to bully you if you are not.

When I said you can't follow a conversation, I meant it. And as I don't know you, it's hard to tell if you are not well or just a common post-truther building your own little reality through affirmation (funny that you associated me with MAGA). I mean, you constantly go back to different forms of “you lie”, “you don't have the expertise you pretend you have”, “I know more than you about this topic” and “you can't win this argument against my superior knowledge”, but you never feel you have to answer to anything that's said to you about the claims you make. Your posts come with their own little soundtrack (“All I do is win win win no matter what!”). You realize you went overboard with the conspiracy theories, so when I question you about that, you go back to “people know more than you” (and by people, you mean you) and to me pretending I have business knowledge (which I never did, but since I contradicted you on some business affirmation, I must be pretending I'm an international businessman). You see, post-truthers have to be right because they built their own truth through affirmation, so they always feel like they are arguing from a position of authority. So is that it? Since you are right on everything, someone daring to contradict your truth must necessarily also be – like you – pretending to be an expert on the topic? And can you see you are constantly blaming everybody around for the stuff that only you do in this thread?

Osprey posted that I did have some expertise in the topics we were discussing at first (before you went cuckoo with the business and conspiracy stuff), and you didn't even question the claim, you just went back to your own world-building affirmation about my low level of knowledge. You are exhausting (you argue against stuff that you made up yourself in trying to be right), but kind of fascinating ("Everybody hands go up!"). Anyway, I tried here to be as polite as possible and hope you can take a step back and consider how you sound to everybody else here.

The Great Mighty Poo

I don't like you either.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
So what ridiculous clown f***ory are we getting in this dumpster fire tonight? I'm half expecting to see a Gungan hop on to screen bouncing on a pogo stick suck his thumb and make a joke about pooping himself.

Reactions: BrindamoursNose

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
Is it lunacy?

This is topic about The Acolyte. You seem to unable grasp that simple concept. Instead you prefer to write about me for a long time. That is not how an adult would behave.

You also unable to take back what you dish out. You complain about the very thing you started. Learn to take it or do not start it. That is what any adult knows.

You were given multiple opportunities to talk about the show, but you refused providing a supporting argument: "it is way too simple for me". That is not an argument in an adult discussion. It is an argument of a child. On top of that it is an obvious lie.

Oh, you are absolutely right, and paint by numbers it is: commercial films are made to answer to the most common tropes and schemes in order not to lose the simpletons that might want to purchase a ticket (still, here and there, some flashes of creativity is still possible).

This text tells me about the lack of understanding of the difference between "quality" and "complexity". These words definitions are a common, basic, wide spread knowledge. It is not possible to write this text if you know their meanings.

Disney will not hire the best writers nor the greatest artists. They'll hire the ones they can control in order to sell their products to the widest possible audience. That means dumbing down any complex ideas, and hiring names who are marketable (if these names are still controllable).

This text tells me about the lack of understanding of the "job application" process. Which is a process every single adult is very well familiar with. And no adult would never write anything like that unless decided intentionally lie about something.

Quick summary:
Your kid-like behavior tells me that your level of maturity - low.
Your lack of understanding of basic things and inability to make obvious conclusions in simple situations tells me about your general level of education - low.

And here is my advice to you:
You are never going to win this discussion. Your low educational level is not going to allow that. You are simply going to embarrass yourself more and more demonstrating the lack of knowledge and life experience.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
So what ridiculous clown f***ory are we getting in this dumpster fire tonight? I'm half expecting to see a Gungan hop on to screen bouncing on a pogo stick suck his thumb and make a joke about pooping himself.
If you hate it so much you could just not watch it...

Never understood how people can get this angry about something they are choosing themselves to do.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008

I've chosen not to watch it anymore. I gave it a shot with 3 episodes - but there's no path where it's going to end well for this series.

I'd recommend not watching it and hurting its streaming numbers if you truly don't like it.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
This show isn't great, and shouldn't get high reviews.

That being said - further proof that there is a bot-based review bombing going on. A 2008 indie film, Acolytes, has suddenly been getting hit by a flurry of negative reviews on IMDB.

As is a Star Wars fan film
I'm not sure that that's proof of bots, since we're talking only a few hundred ratings. It could just be people being in a rush to rate the show and picking the wrong title. With tens of thousands of people trying to rate it, it seems plausible that 150 might rate the wrong title. I've seen misplaced reviews before.

If it is due to bots, though, it's still only a few hundred ratings. The show has 52K ratings on IMDb and 10,000+ on RT (which means between 10K and 25K, so it could be closer to 25K than 10K). A few hundred bot ratings aren't going to make a difference, and if there have been tens of thousands, enough to really drag the scores down, then it begs the question why those two other titles don't have a lot more, themselves.

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
You are never going to win this discussion. Your low educational level is not going to allow that. You are simply going to embarrass yourself more and more demonstrating the lack of knowledge and life experience.
Pranzo has a Masters degree in Film Studies and even taught the subject at a university level, so you couldn't be more wrong about him having little education, knowledge or experience. The only one embarrassing himself here is you.

If you're wondering why he won't analyze the show if he's so knowledgeable, I imagine that it's because it isn't worth it to him and he's certainly not going to analyze it just because someone condescendingly challenged him to. If you want to be taken seriously, by him or any of us, you need to stop acting like the smartest person in the room and being patronizing and insulting to those who have different opinions than you.

Last edited:

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
The audience seems to be enjoying it :laugh:

Screenshot_20240618_195715_Chrome.jpg

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
This show isn't great, and shouldn't get high reviews.

That being said - further proof that there is a bot-based review bombing going on. A 2008 indie film, Acolytes, has suddenly been getting hit by a flurry of negative reviews on IMDB.

448370155_772571998408799_3272833182061839340_n.jpg

As is a Star Wars fan film
448525966_772572168408782_6791522432446508567_n.jpg

I wouldn’t underestimate the stupidity of large numbers of people. Remember those that bought ZOOM stock instead of ZM?

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I wouldn’t underestimate the stupidity of large numbers of people. Remember those that bought ZOOM stock instead of ZM?
I was about to bring that up. You see this all time. A stock with a ticker similar to a successful company will get bid up.

There's a progressive rock band named Isis. When the terrorist group of the same name became prominent, the rock band started getting hate messages. They had to change their name on social media to "Isis the Band".

I'm not sure that that's proof of bots, since we're talking only a few hundred ratings. It could just be people being in a rush to rate the show and picking the wrong title. With tens of thousands of people trying to rate it, it seems plausible that 150 might rate the wrong title. I've seen misplaced reviews before.

If it is due to bots, though, it's still only a few hundred ratings. This show has 52K ratings on IMDb and 10,000+ on RT (which means between 10K and 50K, so it could be closer to 50K than 10K). A few hundred bot ratings aren't going to make a difference, and if there have been tens of thousands, enough to really drag the scores down, then it begs the question why those two other titles don't have a lot more, themselves.
Also, there hasn't been a new review posted on the Acolytes movie since 2018.

And I'm not sure why the bot would target the wrong movie anyways. A bot script would be targeted at a specific page.

Last edited:

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
Pranzo has a Masters in Film Studies and even taught the subject at a university level, so you couldn't be more wrong about him having little education, knowledge or experience. The only one embarrassing himself here is you.

If you're wondering why he won't analyze the show if he's so knowledgeable, I imagine that it's because the show isn't worth it to him and he's not going to analyze it just because someone condescendingly challenged him to. If you want to be taken seriously, by him or any of us, you need to stop acting like the smartest person in the room. You can be proud of your knowledge and believe in your opinions without being patronizing and insulting.
oh mate, I am not the one you should have written this.

Just because Pranzo thinks he is the smartest person in the room it still does not give him the right to insult people. And you probably missed the insult part - all these messages with his insults were deleted by mods.

And if you go back to the start of the discussion and it is still there, you will see that nobody asked him to show his credentials in film-making, only to show his personal skill as a viewer.

The very same skill you showed for example in this very thread and for what you got my likes. And when I asked you the same question, you simply answered to me showing your skill again. Because this is the point of this thread. Which Pranzo for some reason is not capable to understand.

And when he chose to troll me and insult me instead of showing the skill of the viewer - it was not a choice of a grown up adult. It was a choice of a spoiled kid. And I promised him I am going to teach him not to behave like that. And that is what I am doing.

But thanks for your input anyway.

Last edited:

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
The two screenshots of the Acolyte movie, showing the user reviews moving from 42% to 33%, are taken from before and after the release of The Acolyte on Disney+.
I see now on the front page there are some reviews from 2023. But for some reason they're not shown here: Acolytes - Movie Reviews (That's what I was looking at)

I still don't see any reviews from 2024 though.

That Wayback Snapshot is from more than a year ago. Unfortunate there's now update closer to the release of the SW show.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I see now on the front page there are some reviews from 2023. But for some reason they're not shown here: Acolytes - Movie Reviews (That's what I was looking at)

I still don't see any reviews from 2024 though.

That Wayback Snapshot is from more than a year ago. Unfortunate there's now update closer to the release of the SW show.
The page you linked only shows "reviews" (text) as opposed to "ratings" (no text).

Reactions: johnjm22

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
None that would interest you since I have no degrees in film studies.
Who said you need a degree in film making to watch a movie and write your opinion?

P.s.
Here is example 1:
"The story writing in this show is so bad / good" - this is evaluation of quality of writing. It implies that author of the message has some sort of actual knowledge about writing. Read books, got a degree, got experience.

Here is example 2:
"I hate / love the writing in this show" - the author does not imply anything, the author simply stated their opinion.

And in case of example 1 - there are obvious questions incoming: "What lead you to that conclusion?", "Are you an expert in film-making?", "What is your formal education in the field of writing?".

And in case of example 2 - there are no questions.

P.p.s
So if you do not like the incoming questions about your degree then do not imply you have it.

Last edited:

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Your lack of understanding of basic things and inability to make obvious conclusions in simple situations tells me about your general level of education - low.

And here is my advice to you:

Thank you for admirably demonstrating my point about post-truth. Just perfect.

Pranzo has a Masters degree in Film Studies and even taught the subject at a university level, so you couldn't be more wrong about him having little education, knowledge or experience. The only one embarrassing himself here is you.

If you're wondering why he won't analyze the show if he's so knowledgeable, I imagine that it's because it isn't worth it to him and he's certainly not going to analyze it just because someone condescendingly challenged him to. If you want to be taken seriously, by him or any of us, you need to stop acting like the smartest person in the room and being patronizing and insulting to those who have different opinions than you.

Just when I started to hate this thread, Osprey's got my back and it's back as my favorite thread ever. ;-)

And you did well enough with the bio too! I did do a minor in screenwriting a very long time ago, but it wasn't a very good program and I never learned that fire in space was thought-provoking. As for me not "analyzing" this TV show, it's certainly not because it's not worth it. I think any cultural object can be dissected in very relevant ways (I'm a big fan of both Raoul Ruiz and Roland Barthes who had fun with the most banal cultural items). I just don't think I'd be the right person to do so*. Maybe something with a gender studies angle, or on the ways they'll (probably) counter the usual definite dichotomy of SW with their good/bad twins mirroring each other (something you pointed to already I think). Anyway, there's always a way to dig into these objects - I did a conference about Splinter Cell (the video game), some of the best fun I had.

*Edit: anyway I've been meaning to add a few comments in my panic thread for days now and I can't find the time to squeeze some of my almost extinct brain fluids.

And I promised him I am going to teach him not to behave like that. And that is what I am doing.

Again an amazing example of building your own reality through affirmation. That is indeed what you are doing, in your fantasy. I told you, fascinating.

If my film professor defended The Last Jedi I'd quit the course.

Now that is pretty good.

Last edited:
Reactions: Osprey

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
I did do a minor in screenwriting a very long time ago, but it wasn't a very good program.
I noticed that.

As for me not "analyzing" this TV show, it's certainly not because it's not worth it. I think any cultural object can be dissected in very relevant ways just don't think I'd be the right person to do so*.
The very purpose of this thread is to write about this show. Look up its title. And this is why I tell you in every message why my opinion about your education is so low.

Having master's degree and not able to understand the purpose of the discussion is.... how to put it right.... wish we had an option to call uni professors to fail students on the subjects they passed, if they cannot demonstrate the same level of competency anymore.

Again an amazing example of building your own reality through affirmation. That is indeed what you are doing, in your fantasy. I told you, fascinating
I am glad you enjoy it. I was afraid my level of sarcasm was way too much for you. And I would need to tune it down so you would not run away.

P.s
And since it turned out you are a public figure then it is even more important to hold you for a higher standard. And not let you to get away with insulting people.

P.p.s And all you need to do is to apologize for your multiple insults and there is no problem anymore.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad