Online Series: Star Wars: The Acolyte on Disney+

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
oh mate, you need to work on your reading comprehension. Did I wrote the text that was too big for you to grasp its meaning?

No, no, I got it. You think you've seen more films than I did (you didn't) and discussed them with more meaningful people than I did (again, absolutely not).

More importantly, you think that seeing a lot of films (and obviously having read a few posts on Quora) is enough for you to claim being an expert. That's hilarious.

Now leave it at that. You win!

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
My biggest problem was episode 3 was the whole thing feels like way too obvious a fake out. It's like they were going for "hey we are confirming what the Jedi have been saying, Mae caused it all via a fire" but they left too many big obvious clues that that wasn't the full story. So in the end I come back to why did we even need a full episode on a fake out? The biggest takeaway was that Mae and Osha disagree on a philosophic level. Which I mean we already basically knew that.

I feel like this episode should have been placed later in the season and given us the actual full story.

But until we have the full picture of the season, maybe there's reasons they wanted this episode here and presented like this. So I'll just wait and see.
Yeah I don't plan on Monday Morning Quarterbacking every episode every week. The final whole is what ultimately will matter. But after defending it last week, I felt it fair to chime in and admit this one didn't work for me. I feel bad criticizing child actors, but I thought the kids were rough. Just one episode though. By no means a dealbreaker. Still hoping it's ultimately a positive experience.

Reactions: Holden Caulfield

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Had you come in here all pompous and pretentious name-dropping Godard and Angelopoulos, I would still have laughed at you (cause that's what I do), but at least you would have had some charm. Now, you're just making a circus trying to promote kiddie TV shows as high art while pretending to be an expert on the subject - and you just can't see how ridiculous that is.
The Rise of Skywalker absolutely would have been Godard's favorite Star Wars movie.

Reactions: Pranzo Oltranzista

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
The Rise of Skywalker absolutely would have been Godard's favorite Star Wars movie.
Hmmm. I would have gone for The Last Jedi for sure. It uses expectation to deconstruct the whole, and it even has at least one moment of absurd intertextuality. Had a few full screen all caps titles like HEROISM. TIME. WAR. and Snoke addressing the camera about the padawans revolution and you've got a Godard film.

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
No, no, I got it. You think you've seen more films than I did (you didn't) and discussed them with more meaningful people than I did (again, absolutely not).

More importantly, you think that seeing a lot of films (and obviously having read a few posts on Quora) is enough for you to claim being an expert. That's hilarious.

Now leave it at that. You win!
Well, since you do not want to talk to me anymore, then here is the main point you still missed: Don't start discussion you can't win. People may have lots of free time and are wiling to teach you a thing or two about accountability for your actions.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Hmmm. I would have gone for The Last Jedi for sure. It uses expectation to deconstruct the whole, and it even has at least one moment of absurd intertextuality. Had a few full screen all caps titles like HEROISM. TIME. WAR. and Snoke addressing the camera about the padawans revolution and you've got a Godard film.
See I think he's too much of a natural troll to have fallen for that. The self-aware reconstructions in The Rise of Skywalker is the TRUE deconstruction.

It not only knows it is a movie. It knows another movie came before it and is responding aggressively to that.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Speaking of natural trolls, Pranzo knows that he can put this guy in his place and end this discussion by citing his film studies credentials, but he's just letting him go on and on, lecturing him about his superior knowledge of the subject and embarrassing himself without realizing it. It's plain evil and he has my respect.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Speaking of natural trolls, Pranzo knows that he can put this guy in his place and end this discussion by citing his film studies credentials, but he's just letting him go on and on, lecturing him about his superior knowledge of the subject and embarrassing himself without realizing it. It's plain evil and he has my respect.
You kind of spoiled it, but yeah, lots of fun. And I mean, the guy did "breakdown" 2 scenes !!

But hey, did you just call me a troll ?? :laugh: (you also somewhat compared me to Godard, I'll take it!)

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Your attempts to post false unsupported statements look like this to me:

So let's try it again, do you have the skills and knowledge to evaluate the professional work of Star Wars writers (specifically the Acolyte writers) or no?

And remember that you need to say the truth. You need to answer honestly - that you do not have enough skills to tell if the Acolyte writers doing great job or bad job.

You are vastly overrating art. It is not science.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
"Businessman" - main goal is to satisfy their customer needs.

"Craftsmen, artisans, doctors, engineers, etc" - main goal it to make product or service in accordance with their customers requirements.

"movie" - is a visual art.

"artist" - is a person who creates art.

"art" - is a form of self-expression.

So, now when the basic things are established we can actually talk to each other and you would not be surprised by my statements.

Because you clearly mixed up business and art.

And while for you the process of buying products / services and arts may look the same, you still buying completely opposite things.

Product / service is you-oriented purchase. Art - is its author-oriented purchase.

You see Disney and the Disney share holders aren't there to make "art", they want to make money, it's only reason for existing is to make Disney money

I also know this isn't "art" because if it was the people involved in this production could make the story about anything or anyone rather than a product for the existing star wars IP

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
You see Disney and the Disney share holders aren't there to make "art", they want to make money, it's only reason for existing is to make Disney money

I also know this isn't "art" because if it was the people involved in this production could make the story about anything or anyone rather than a product for the existing star wars IP
You mean... art isn't made to sell kiddie toys? o_O

osha-1-scaled.webp

But seriously, I think the medium is still an artistic one, and that as simple or childish most of it is, it can still have sparks of creativity/originality. I think SW succeeded in creating a few icons of pop culture, and that's not only chance. It's not great art or high art, but not all of it is complete garbage either. I don't think it's sold as art anyway, so it should be enjoyed for what it is.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
You mean... art isn't made to sell kiddie toys? o_O

osha-1-scaled.webp

But seriously, I think the medium is still an artistic one, and that as simple or childish most of it is, it can still have sparks of creativity/originality. I think SW succeeded in creating a few icons of pop culture, and that's not only chance. It's not great art or high art, but not all of it is complete garbage either. I don't think it's sold as art anyway, so it should be enjoyed for what it is.
It's artistic but I'm not sure Disney is in it for the art

I think some people see themselves as artists but it's a very formulaic paint by numbers type of way

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
You are vastly overrating art. It is not science.
I never said it is. I said it is not a business.
And when there is a discussion about the art - the business arguments make no sense.

Disney and all its shareholders do not write the script. Just because their goal is to make money it does not mean the goal of the script writer is to make money.

Stupid example:
Try to write a well connected text containing at least several paragraphs. You gonna quickly find out that it is not possible to write it while thinking about money, you would need to start thinking about the text itself, to make sure the text is well connected.

But that was just to show how the thinking process works.

And we are not talking about writing a simple text, we are talking about profession. The writers spend lots of time learning and practicing before they even have a chance to win the competition for the job.

And businessman who hires a bad writer is gonna lose money if the writer is bad. Which is against the businessman goals.

P.s. Here is another stupid example:

Let's imagine that instead of having actual hockey stars like McDavid, Kucherov, MacKinnon, etc and paying them millions the nhl business people decided to hire AHL newbies and save lots of money.

Does that sound like a good business decision to you?
What do you think is gonna happen with NHL profit?
Do you think Disney business decisions are different from NHL business decisions?

Last edited:

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
It's artistic but I'm not sure Disney is in it for the art

I think some people see themselves as artists but it's a very formulaic paint by numbers type of way

Oh, you are absolutely right, and paint by numbers it is: commercial films are made to answer to the most common tropes and schemes in order not to lose the simpletons that might want to purchase a ticket (still, here and there, some flashes of creativity is still possible).

Stupid example

Yeah, we're getting used to it (stupid and wrong).

Yes, hockey is a sport, and yes, it would be a dumb business decision to ice a team full of lesser players, because you need to sell tickets. If there was anyway to make more money while having a smaller payroll, no owner would pass on it.

Disney will not hire the best writers nor the greatest artists. They'll hire the ones they can control in order to sell their products to the widest possible audience. That means dumbing down any complex ideas, and hiring names who are marketable (if these names are still controllable).

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
If this is true this has been the most entertained Star Wars has made me in quite some time (still need to watch most of the shows).

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, you are absolutely right, and paint by numbers it is: commercial films are made to answer to the most common tropes and schemes in order not to lose the simpletons that might want to purchase a ticket (still, here and there, some flashes of creativity is still possible).

Yeah, we're getting used to it (stupid and wrong).

Yes, hockey is a sport, and yes, it would be a dumb business decision to ice a team full of lesser players, because you need to sell tickets. If there was anyway to make more money while having a smaller payroll, no owner would pass on it.

Disney will not hire the best writers nor the greatest artists. They'll hire the ones they can control in order to sell their products to the widest possible audience. That means dumbing down any complex ideas, and hiring names who are marketable (if these names are still controllable).

So this very forum posters are all smart people while they are watching hockey, but when they are watching movies they suddenly are not so smart anymore? How does it work exactly?

Here is new concept for your to learn: "competition". When you start googling - pay attention to "competition in business".

Mate, I hate to break it to you but your level of knowledge about business is very similar to your level of knowledge about writing. It mostly conspiracy theories plus your onw bs.

The more I talk to you the more I think your favorite hat is the red one with 4 letters.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
So this very forum posters are all smart people while they are watching hockey, but when they are watching movies they suddenly are not so smart anymore? How does it work exactly?

Here is new concept for your to learn: "competition". When you start googling - pay attention to "competition in business".

Mate, I hate to break it to you but your level of knowledge about business is very similar to your level of knowledge about writing. It mostly conspiracy theories plus your onw bs.

The more I talk to you the more I think your favorite hat is the red one with 4 letters.
Oh... I thought you could read. You obviously skipped a few posts.

Not important. What's important now is this new gem: conspiracy theories? MAGA? Are you having a stroke?

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
This show isn't great, and shouldn't get high reviews.

That being said - further proof that there is a bot-based review bombing going on. A 2008 indie film, Acolytes, has suddenly been getting hit by a flurry of negative reviews on IMDB.

448370155_772571998408799_3272833182061839340_n.jpg

As is a Star Wars fan film
448525966_772572168408782_6791522432446508567_n.jpg

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
Oh... I thought you could read. You obviously skipped a few posts.

Not important. What's important now is this new gem: conspiracy theories? MAGA? Are you having a stroke?
Mate, you struggle with a simple concept that other people may know more than you do in some areas of life.

The professional writers know more than you about writing and business people know more than you about business.

Instead of wasting your time embarrassing yourself with the lack of understanding of this simple concept you could have spend the same time reading a book on writing scripts or doing business. You would already finish reading it.

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
This show isn't great, and shouldn't get high reviews.

That being said - further proof that there is a bot-based review bombing going on. A 2008 indie film, Acolytes, has suddenly been getting hit by a flurry of negative reviews on IMDB.

448370155_772571998408799_3272833182061839340_n.jpg

As is a Star Wars fan film
448525966_772572168408782_6791522432446508567_n.jpg
It reminds me of the situation with Captain Marvel, there was a huge trolling flash mob all around the internet against the movie. I do not remember if trolls did anything about the audience scores back then.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Mate, you struggle with a simple concept that other people may know more than you do in some areas of life.

The professional writers know more than you about writing and business people know more than you about business.

Instead of wasting your time embarrassing yourself with the lack of understanding of this simple concept you could have spend the same time reading a book on writing scripts or doing business. You would already finish reading it.

Yeah well, at this point, I'm not sure it's funny anymore. You can't follow a conversation. The conspiracy theories really made me roll on the floor, but now I think you might have serious issues.

(and for the people trying to follow all this nonsense, please don't think I ever pretended I had any business knowledge or that I'm in anyway involved or interested in American politics!)

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
You can't follow a conversation.
Says the poster who is not familiar with the definition of "conversation".

Google it. It is going to be a huge surprise for you.

And when you realize you are the one who can't follow it since you do not know what it means, then google another concept - 4 levels of knowledge / 4 stages of competence.

In this specific case this concept states:

Just because you can write or read a word, does not mean you actually understand its full meaning, and you can apply it correctly in real life situation.

This whole "conversation" with you shows your severe lack of understanding what it means.

Yeah well, at this point, I'm not sure it's funny
Cmon, mate, it sure is not funny for you, but it is still very funny for me. I never thought it is possible to meet someone who does not know anything at all about the subjects they like to talk a lot.

Last edited:

Bowski

That's not how we do things in Pittsburgh
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2004
Kitchener
Says the poster who is not familiar with the definition of "conversation".

Google it. It is going to be a huge surprise for you.

And when you realize you are the one who can't follow it since you do not know what it means, then google another concept - 4 levels of knowledge / 4 stages of competence.

In this specific case this concept states:

Just because you can write or read a word, does not mean you actually understand its full meaning, and you can apply it correctly in real life situation.

This whole "conversation" with you shows your severe lack of understanding what it means.

Cmon, mate, it sure is not funny for you, but it is still very funny for me. I never thought it is possible to meet someone who does not know anything at all about the subjects they like to talk a lot.
3617aee2-cd45-4554-a0f1-11accd42166b_text.gif

Dear lord. Not only is this show tripe, but the lunatics have come out with inane babble about writing, meaning, expertise and other such nonsense.

Somebody, anybody, please pull the plug and go back to Jar Jar and Ewoks so that there is no pretension of any of this crap being some perverted modern-day high culture, just crappy toys with pew pew.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $10,600.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 4