Series Talk: Stanley Cup Playoffs 2024

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
By the way, yesterday on that McDavid OT winner, Tanev screwed up big time and left him wide open in front of the net. It will be such a shame for Tanev to suddenly start sucking against the Oilers and they lose the series when he was so good against the Avs and he was on Nate like hair on soap and blocking like million shots and stuff.

The reason I’m saying it would be such a shame because why couldn’t Tanev suck like that against the Avs? I know it’s just one game but he never left Nate open like he did Connor.

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
By the way, yesterday on that McDavid OT winner, Tanev screwed up big time and left him wide open in front of the net. It will be such a shame for Tanev to suddenly start sucking against the Oilers and they lose the series when he was so good against the Avs and he was on Nate like hair on soap and blocking like million shots and stuff.

The reason I’m saying it would be such a shame because why couldn’t Tanev suck like that against the Avs? I know it’s just one game but he never left Nate open like he did Connor.
McDavid uses his skating hockey sense to find the soft areas and get open.

MacK waits for loose pucks then skates into three defenders.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
McDavid uses his skating hockey sense to find the soft areas and get open.

MacK waits for loose pucks then skates into three defenders.
Yeah but there were multiple times when Nate got the puck where McDavid scored his goal, and Tanev was there to check Nate or block a shot. I don’t know how many times Tanev did that, but it was a lot against the Avs

Reactions: NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

Edmonton knows how to abuse Tanev. They have done it for years while he played for Vancouver and Calgary.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Seeing Nuge and Hyman abuse him last night made me think the Avs have a bunch of soft players.
I don't think that's accurate. The Avs aren't physical mainly because of the up tempo speed game that they play. They don't cycle, they don't high pressure forecheck, they don't hit so as to separate the opponent from the puck. Instead, they try to steal the puck away from opponents. They rarely even play the opponent's sticks (like other teams -- such as Dallas -- does).

The mission seems to be be gain and then keep puck possession via picking the other team's pocket. When it works, it's great. When it doesn't, you discover the holes in their game.

They don't blow people up. Or at least hardly ever....

The Avs play an exciting brand of hockey that entertains the fans. But they would get destroyed by both NY or FL and thus .......

.......are NOT SC playoff finals ready at this point.

Last edited:

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
I don't think that's accurate. The Avs aren't physical mainly because of the up tempo speed game that they play. They don't cycle, they don't high pressure forecheck, they don't hit so as to separate the opponent from the puck. Instead, they try to steal the puck away from opponents. They rarely even play the opponent's sticks (like other teams -- such as Dallas -- does).

The mission seems to be be gain and then keep puck possession via picking the other team's pocket. When it works, it's great. When it doesn't, you discover the holes in their game.

They don't blow people up. Or at least hardly ever....

The Avs play an exciting brand of hockey that entertains the fans. But they would get destroyed by both NY or FL and thus .......

.......are NOT SC playoff finals ready at this point.
I would say that Cmac saw this flaw more evident than ever last season. So he purposely corrected and got guys who can play a heavier game. But the coaching staff doesn't want the guys playing that way.

The Avs are barely playoff ready at this point. Much less Sc final ready.

Reactions: Metallo

GeoRox89

Tricky Trees
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
Imagine a washed up Tanev shutting Mack down. Embarrassing

Put Mack the trade block and throw his soother in the deal
Tanev is a great defensive D. He shut down the guy who should’ve won the Conn Smythe last year in Eichel as well. Mack wasn’t good enough and didn’t look right but really this is a lot just on McDrai having the hockey IQ to know how to play Tanev

BaconNater

Jul 4, 2011
CO
Would you say that the Ovi vs Sid playoff match up in 2009 was the most memorable in recent years? That dueling hattrick game was so cool. The hype for that series must have been crazy.

Only one I like better since then is when the Avs swept the Oilers

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Absolutely f***ing not. Oilers need to lose more than the Stars.
Man...I don't know.

I think Edmonton v Miami has more sparks than Dallas v Miami. Florida's biggest speedbump are these Rangers. I feel either Eastern team should make fairly short work of the western conference champ this year.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I want to see greatness shine through and there's no one greater than McDavid. I'll be rooting for him to win it all.
f*** that. I hope he never wins the cup, at least not in Canada.

Now, to be clear, more about Canada not winning a cup and more importantly, Oilers fans not winning a cup. It would suck to see Dallas win, but even that is manageable. If the Oilers win, it would be intolerable. Frankly, there's a good reason no Canadian team has won during the time internet exists, so let's keep it that way.

Reactions: Murzu and The Moops

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad