Series Talk: Stanley Cup Playoffs 2024

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
There has been more entertainment in this first period than all of the 6 matches of Vancouver-Nashville series. Yes, even with that comeback moment.

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
Rantanen for me is very interesting decision. If we pay him 12 mil, I am just a bit afraid if we handcuff ourselves like Leafs. We have very good wingers in Lehkonen and Nuke. That's not a bad start.
The sound of Rantanen's pen on paper signing a $12 mil contract is the sound of our window closing.

IMO if the Leafs were to approach, say, the Arizona Coyotes and ask for Lawson Crouse, Mattias Maccelli, and Sean Durzi I believe it could make them a much deeper squad:

Knies - Matthews - Crouse
Maccelli - Tavares - Nylander
Cowan - Kampf - Jarnkrok
McMann - Holmberg - UFA

Reilly - Durzi
McCabe - UFA
Benoit - Timmins

Woll
UFA

They sign Durzi to something like 6M AAV and they still have almost 14M to upgrade the roster with a 2nd pair RHD, a top-nine forward to push Kampf down to the 4th line, etc.

So while it might be too explosive of a move, I think moving Marner has the potential to make Toronto a better overall team. We talk about moving Mikko hypothetically to keep the depth but knowing the Avs they will re-sign Mikko and try to fix depth at the TDL.

Toronto, though, has a unique opportunity to improve the rest of their roster while keeping three of their core-four up front in prominent roles and allowing for the internal growth of Knies and Cowan.
Who the hell are the Arizona Coyotes?

You mean the Salt Lake City Mormons.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I will never understand the whole signing Mikko to 12 mill contact will close the Avs contention window. That’s only giving him 3 more mill because he’s making 9 now and the cap will keep going up. The 3 mill won’t shut the Avs window

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I will never understand the whole signing Mikko to 12 mill contact will close the Avs contention window. That’s only giving him 3 more mill because he’s making 9 now and the cap will keep going up. The 3 mill won’t shut the Avs window
Gotta watch the games.

It's not about the points on the scoresheet at the end of the night. If you're paying him that kind of money - he needs to be able to drive a line by himself and not just be a complimentary player on a top line where he's just 'part' of that line and racking up points because of who he's playing with.

By the way - I believe that he CAN do it but it just doesn't happen enough for it to make any sense to pay him that kind of money.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Gotta watch the games.

It's not about the points on the scoresheet at the end of the night. If you're paying him that kind of money - he needs to be able to drive a line by himself and not just be a complimentary player on a top line where he's just 'part' of that line and racking up points because of who he's playing with.

By the way - I believe that he CAN do it but it just doesn't happen enough for it to make any sense to pay him that kind of money.

It's also about moving forward, not just today.

You give Mikko an 8x$12.5M deal, it starts the same October he turns 29 so basically he's 29 in year 1. That means, you're also paying 37 year old Rantanen $12.5M which is obviously simply horrendous, but quite frankly even paying 31 year old Rantanen $12.5M is probably not going to look very good at all.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Gotta watch the games.

Mikko drove his line just fine 2 years ago specially when MacK was out of the lineup. He carried the Avs. He just had bit of a down year this season as far as driving play but he still put up 104 points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad