Speculation: Standings Predictions 2024 - 2025 Season

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
While the ink is barely dry on most of today's free agency contracts, there have been a lot of deals handed out. I'd like to start a thread to speculate how our beloved Blackhawks and our other compatriots at the bottom of the standings will fare next year.

As a reminder, here's how the bottom 5 teams drafted in June of 2024.

SeasonPick #TeamWinsLossesOT LossesPoints
2023 - 20241San Jose1954947
2023 - 20242Chicago2353652
2023 - 20243Anaheim2750559
2023 - 20244Columbus27431266
2023 - 20245Montreal30361676

Taking a look at San Jose, Chicago, Anaheim, Columbus, and Montreal it seems that 3 out of the 5 have been pretty aggressive in both trades and free agency today, with Anaheim and Montreal not doing a whole lot, but how will that translate into success next season?

San Jose
Additions:

Macklin Celebrini (Drafted, I'm assuming he jumps right into the NHL)
Tyler Toffoli (Free Agent)
Alexander Wennberg (Free Agent)
Jake Walman (Trade)
Ty Dellandrea (Trade)

Chicago
Additions:

Ilya Mikheyev (Trade)
Patrick Maroon (Free Agent)
Teuvo Teravainen (Free Agent)
Craig Smith (Free Agent)
Tyler Bertuzzi (Free Agent)
Laurent Brossoit (Free Agent)
Alec Martinez (Free Agent)

Anaheim
Additions:

Maybe Cutter Gauthier makes the jump to the NHL full time? Other than that, it looks like more of the same

Columbus
Additions:

Yegor Chinakhov (Free Agent)
Sean Monahan (Free Agent)

Montreal
Additions:

Nothing that I can see recently.

I'm going to guess that San Jose and Chicago each take a pretty big step forward due to free agent acquisitions and trades while Anaheim, Columbus, and Montreal all have a bit of a better season next year due to further development of their younger players.

I am going to guess that "a rising tide raises all boats" and that generally speaking each of the five bottom feeder teams gets better without impacting the final seeding too much for next year.

SeasonPick #TeamWinsLossesOT LossesPoints
2024 - 20251San Jose3047565
2024 - 20252Anaheim3244670
2024 - 20253Chicago3543474
2024 - 20254Columbus3440876
2024 - 20255Montreal3539878

That being said, am I missing out on my analysis? Is there another team that's ready to tear it down and take? Calgary?

Last edited:

Wally1112pac

Three Year Rebuild lol
Jul 10, 2019
I wouldn't be surprised if we finished any where from 2nd to 5th worst overall.

Our D is still very thin. Martinez is pretty much Zaitzev. Korchinski should take the next step. Murphy is always injured. After that it's Jones, Vlasic and one of Kaiser, Phillips or EDM. Hopefully Allan plays some games too. The D will look a lot better with a Levshunov in it. Maybe another vet is signed in the next few days.

Our forwards have gotten a lot better. There's is a lot more sand paper and scoring punch compared to last years team. Bertuzzi and Maroon can stand in front of the net. Teuvo hopefully plays with Bedard and sets him up a ton. Taylor Hall is in a contract year so he will be doing his best to put up points. We actually have 8 top 9 forwards on the team not including Reichel and Nazar. That is a huge improvement from last year's band of AHLers up front.

Mrazek is a wild card. Two years ago he was trash. Last year he was fabulous and cost us last overall with his great play. Which Petr shows up next year?

Brossoit is light years better than Soderblom. That alone will net us at least 5 more wins next year.

I think our win total will be in the low 30's.

CBJ should be better. The aren't starting the year with the babcock drama like they did last year.

Do they ducks take a step forward? They have a lot of good, young talent on the team. Dostal is entering a contract year so his numbers should improve.

Montreal should be a bit better too. Hopefully Dach doesn't get blown up 9 minutes into the season.

I don't think phili will fall very much. The flames might drop in the standings by a position or 2.

San Jose will probably be the worst team again. They will have a healthy Couture this season. Toffoli and Wennberg signed. I don't know how much the young trio of Will Smith, William Eklund and Celebrini will produce. They could get 50-60 points a piece. Who knows. Their D is terrible though. The only thing that could pull them from the gutter is their goaltending. Blackwood and Vanecek are both UFA's. A goalie playing for a contract is a scary thing.

Joemoe

Aug 3, 2015
Don't think enough teams got worse/the Hawks got so much better to get them out of bottom five finish but this should be a far more entertaining on ice product than the last two seasons, especially last year.

Reactions: Idionym

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Still top 10 pick next season but not #1 or #2 unless we get really lucky.
Gary-Bettman-smile.jpg

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Look at Blues lineup. Look at our lineup.

Could we realistically not finish last in the Central ?!

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Look at Blues lineup. Look at our lineup.

Could we realistically not finish last in the Central ?!
I haven't noticed them adding anyone, I kinda don't pay attention to them. But Binnington was actually good the 2nd half of the year last year, like he hasn't been since the cup year. If that goes back to his average self, yeah they could be baaad.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Finish between 5-9 is my guess

Maybe slightly better if Bedard takes major steps in development (And stays healthy) while some of the kids make major stride/breakthrough (Nazar/Korchinski)

At end of day though Luke will lose them some games with his coaching and is likely to be problem yet again

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
There's ceiling to finish in the high 70s points but I expect us to pick in the top 5. I'm more concerned with the performances of Bedard, Korchinski, Nazar, and potentially Lev than I am of the team's standings finish.

WarLax

Apr 17, 2016
Doesn't matter where we finish as long as we are a lotto team.

We are 2 for 2 with Rooh and Taylor Hall on the case, already have it locked in boys.

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
I'm more concerned with how the Ice Hogs do. That is truly our future not these free agents . My guess is 75 points this year .

Reactions: Idionym

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
We finished last in the Central by 25 points last year. They’ve obviously bridged the gap but this is very likely still a last or 2nd last place team in the division. I can see them at around 74 points though.

Reactions: HawksDub89

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
I would be surprised if they finish below anyone in the Atlantic. PHI, WAS, Pit, or CLB could implode, Hawks may finish ahead of 2 of them. I think Hawks will finish ahead of SJ and CGY. They aren't passing anyone in their division imo.

If they can get the young players that matter better and still finish in the bottom 5, that's a good offseason.

This roster is alot better, and much better suited to slot some of the young players on the big team and Rockford, but it's definitely not tank proof giving so many injury risks and slow players.

I have a tough time putting them higher than 28th, I like it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad