Votes: 9 11.0%
  • Selanne

Votes: 73 89.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
a lot of people are gonna think Selanne is the obvious answer. But statistically they are a lot closer than people would expect.

Stamkos

Goals: 1, 1, 2, 2, 2, 4, 7, 9
GPG: 1, 1, 2, 3, 3, 3, 6, 7
PPG: 3, 3, 6, 7

Hart: 2, 6, 8

Selanne

Goals: 1, 1, 1, 2, 3, 10
GPG: 1, 1, 3, 3, 4, 8
PPG: 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 8, 8

Hart: 3, 5, 5, 9

Here's the interesting part though. The Bolded is what Selanne accomplished past Stamkos's current age (33)

So if you actually compare their careers up until 33 years of age, the goalscoring edge widens in favour of Stamkos.

That being said, Selanne has one of the better mid to late 30 careers in the history of the sport, so expecting Stamkos to return as a top 10 goalscorer and/or point producer in the league is unrealistic. In all likelihood those days are behind him.

In conclusion, Stamkos was the better goalscorer, but Selanne was the better overall point producer. My vote goes to Selanne, but it's pretty close

Last edited:

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
Stamkos is pretty much to canadians what Selanne is to europeans. Stamkos is pretty much the most underrated Canadian player of all time and Selanne is easily the most underrated european player of all time.

Reactions: DownIsTheNewUp

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Selanne could be defensive later in his career. At least was not a liability but stamkos is only offense and Selanne put up numbers that are better in almost every category!

Reactions: Fatass

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
90s kids love Selanne regardless Canadians or not.
Not saying people didn't like Selanne, Selanne might be one of the most likeable players of all time, but he gets disrespected when they compare him to others and his injuries gets swept aside while other players injuries gets hyped up all the time.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Selänne by a country mile. Stamkos has good numbers even for a sniper, but his overall game has always been somewhat less impressive than that.

Reactions: Fatass

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Selänne by a country mile. Stamkos has good numbers even for a sniper, but his overall game has always been somewhat less impressive than that.
Selanne definitely has the edge in skating and playmaking ability, but it's somewhat offset by Stamkos being the better goalscorer.

Neither are anything to write home about on the defensive end of things.

Reactions: OKR

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Stamkos is pretty much to canadians what Selanne is to europeans. Stamkos is pretty much the most underrated Canadian player of all time and Selanne is easily the most underrated european player of all time.
Huh? Canadians love Selanne.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
This is really close. Stamkos does bring a physical element to his game where selanne doesn’t. Stamkos averages 80-100 hits a year. I think I’d take stamkos but either choice is fine

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Selanne definitely has the edge in skating and playmaking ability, but it's somewhat offset by Stamkos being the better goalscorer.

Neither are anything to write home about on the defensive end of things.
I wouldn't necessarily say Stamkos was the better goalscorer even, more so the better finisher while Selänne was better at getting himself in the position to score.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Selanne pretty comfortably. Neither does anything defensively, both are kind of disappointing in the playoffs, but Selanne could generate his own offence better than Stamkos could. Better skater and more creative player.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
They both have really weird careers when you think of it....

Both started off so strong you expected to do much better then they actually did...but it didn't happen. Still great careers of course - but probably shy of expecations a bit after Selanne's 76 goal rookie campaign, or Stamkos's 2012 campaign with injuries hitting and his goal-scoring slowing down.

Both also quite weak in playoffs, surprisingly.

Selanne is ahead for career. I also think at his peak he was better. Not a bad comparison though

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Selänne played 2/3 of his playoff games older than Stamkos is now.

Yeah but he didn't produce much even when younger.

Ages 31 and younger he produces at a 55 point pace over 82 games in the playoffs.

He only has one playoff run his whole career where he was above ppg - and it was at age 40, with 7 points in 6 games.

He may not have had a ton of serious opportunities at winning a cup early in his career - but his individual performances and production level still left a lot to be desired. Even moreso than Stamkos.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Selänne did anyhow lead the team in goals each of his pre-30 playoff runs, they just had snowball's chance in hell against the late 90s Red Wings. After that his time playing on one leg in San José and Colorado was forgettable also in the regular season.

Reactions: Dog

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Yeah but he didn't produce much even when younger.

Ages 31 and younger he produces at a 55 point pace over 82 games in the playoffs.

He only has one playoff run his whole career where he was above ppg - and it was at age 40, with 7 points in 6 games.

He may not have had a ton of serious opportunities at winning a cup early in his career - but his individual performances and production level still left a lot to be desired. Even moreso than Stamkos.

Ages 31 and younger he was at a 63 point pace. You’re also using Selanne’s time in SJ though when he was already struggling with knee problems. In Winnipeg and Anaheim when he was actually elite he put up 13 goals and 20 points in 21 games. Not amazing but also on weaker teams. I know he was point per game in the regular season in ‘01, the year he was traded to SJ, but he was already trending down and used in a reduced role. He also faced one of the stingiest teams in NHL history and his team only scored 11 goals in those 6 games. I think one of the problems with being on teams that don’t go far is that one or two bad opponents can skew the numbers, and there was a lot more chance of facing good ones when your team was weak.

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
Selänne only struggled in playoffs when he struggled in the regular season. You could say his post season in 2007 wasn't dominant but he was also 37. Most players are retiring at that age.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Ages 31 and younger he was at a 63 point pace. You’re also using Selanne’s time in SJ though when he was already struggling with knee problems. In Winnipeg and Anaheim when he was actually elite he put up 13 goals and 20 points in 21 games. Not amazing but also on weaker teams. I know he was point per game in the regular season in ‘01, the year he was traded to SJ, but he was already trending down and used in a reduced role. He also faced one of the stingiest teams in NHL history and his team only scored 11 goals in those 6 games. I think one of the problems with being on teams that don’t go far is that one or two bad opponents can skew the numbers, and there was a lot more chance of facing good ones when your team was weak.

Anyway you slice it he just didn't do well in the playoffs. Not in Winnipeg, nor Anaheim, nor after.

He wasn't necessarily horrible all the time - that's not what I said. But he was never great, rarely even good.

20 points in 21 games isn't horrible - but it's also quite subpar for what would have been expected of him in those years.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Anyway you slice it he just didn't do well in the playoffs. Not in Winnipeg, nor Anaheim, nor after.

He wasn't necessarily horrible all the time - that's not what I said. But he was never great, rarely even good.

20 points in 21 games isn't horrible - but it's also quite subpar for what would have been expected of him in those years.
1993Div. SFVancouver2:44+2=6
1997Conf. QFPhoenix4:35+3=8
1997Conf. SFDetroit0:42+0=2
1999Conf. QFDetroit0:42+2=4

Looks fine to me. Not necessarily dominant, but definitely good. Those Detroit teams were always going to wipe the floor with the Mighty Ducks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad