Value of: Stamkos to NYR

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I agree with this, Kadri could be available as well.
We're not doing that....

I don't see the point in going after a high price player that we can't resign next season/going forward. We will need a 3C and Stamkos just isn't that person for the spot. I'd want him in the top 6 if we're paying Stamkos price. Right now I think we're better off going after a 3c we're comfortable paying for and one that has a track record of being hard to play against/productive. If there's money left over and we can find a way to upgrade the RW spot, that would be icing on the cake, but the price here just seems to be out of our favor.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I don't like this.

I like Steven Stamkos but I don't see where this fits on our team at all.

He hasn't played center since Dino Ciccarelli and Chris Kontos were on his line. He primarily plays LW. Where are you putting him?

Where are you putting him on the league's #1 powerplay? He stands, almost down the inch, in the same spot Zibanejad stands in. Are we taking Zibanejad off of the #1 powerplay? Are we playing Stamkos out of position? Seems very foolish to mess with any of it.

Do the Rangers need *checks notes* a right-handed shot whose primary role is offense to go along with Zibanejad, Panarin, Trocheck, and Wheeler? Another right-handed shot on the powerplay that has nothing but right-handed shots?

Stamkos is fantastic, and he's generally the type of guy you take without asking too many questions, but this isn't a UFA. The price would be lofty in a trade and a player with Stamkos' profile is at the bottom of every list in terms of team needs.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
It's not even that he would demand it, but it would happen. You're gonna get Stamkos and not play him PP minutes? Who sits? It's the best PP in the league. Leave it alone. It happened last year with Kane and Tarasenko. You could see players deferring to them and it wasn't a good fit. This team just needs a little salt, you don't need to change the whole recipe.

That all makes perfect sense. No point in messing with something that’s already working great. Just wanted to point out that Stammer isn’t the type to come in and start rocking the boat - he’s about as much of a team-first guy as you’re gonna find in the league. Really gonna miss him in Tampa if this is indeed the end for him as a Bolt.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
He hasn't played center since Dino Ciccarelli and Chris Kontos were on his line. He primarily plays LW. Where are you putting him?

Funny, but untrue. He was still a full-time center until Point and Cirelli broke out, and while he’s spent most of his time on the wing since then he still plays a good deal at center when injuries occur or when Cooper feels like mixing up the lines again. Frankly he still looks more comfortable there than on the wing, but for some reason we insist on pretending that Cirelli is a two-way 2C as opposed to an elite defensive 3C so Stammer’s forced to play out of position most of the time.

But yeah, if anybody wants Stamkos at center he’ll have no problem playing there.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
People need to learn to think outside the box. Not every hole needs to be filled by going after the biggest names.
The entire part of this thread was purely hypothetical based on what the Rangers did the last core was in 100% win now (Nash, MSL, Yandle, E. Staal).

It's a different GM. It's also not us who are running the show.

What we want and what we think is irrelevant unless we are telepathically controlling Mr. Drury.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad