Value of: Stamkos to NYR

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Huge disclaimer, I'm not saying this will or should happen. I'll probably end up drinking for proposing it here. Let's say Dolan finds out he's available and tells Drury to get it done.

Guaranteed first this year, a lottery protected first in either of the next two drafts, and a second much later (like 2027?) get it done?

I know a lot of people will come out and say this can't happen without Pearrault or Othmann. Let's say Drury insists that near foward ready prospects (those two or Edstrom, Sykora, Berard) are all off limits. Fortescue is off limits for D.

Can it get done?

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
A 2nd 1st is more valuable than some of the prospects listed. I get that the team is in win now mode and a future late 1st is typically outside of that window, but a contender will look to improve in future years too and that pick is the primary trade capital for the club.

Reactions: Voight

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Huge disclaimer, I'm not saying this will or should happen. I'll probably end up drinking for proposing it here. Let's say Dolan finds out he's available and tells Drury to get it done.

Guaranteed first this year, a lottery protected first in either of the next two drafts, and a second much later (like 2027?) get it done?

I know a lot of people will come out and say this can't happen without Pearrault or Othmann. Let's say Drury insists that near foward ready prospects (those two or Edstrom, Sykora, Berard) are all off limits. Fortescue is off limits for D.

Can it get done?

As I’ve said in other threads, no rental (no matter who it is) will return elite prospects or key roster contributors, as the former are far too valuable in a cap league and the latter are required by the sort of team that has interest in a rental in the first place (one that is seeking to win now.)

That said, high-end rentals will and do return teams’ top non-elite prospects, and Stamkos is most definitely a high-end rental. So if you think you’re going to put up a massive list of prospects who are off-limits, then you aren’t seriously interested in acquiring Stamkos.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChrisProngersEYE

Aug 17, 2023

Can it get done?
I think $tevey Y has Stamkos eye already if Stamkos leaves Tampa.

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
worried about the rangers pursuing this if things break the wrong way for tampa and the rangers have chytil's cap space to work with. nothing against stamkos just don't see a natural role for him to step into so they'd inevitably force pieces into new places and it's uncomfortable for everyone. also don't want to give up what it would cost for a pure rental.

the rangers need to use that space to add some speed and aggression to the bottom 6, not on a splashy name that doesn't have a natural roster fit. depending on how efficient they are adding to the bottom 6, maybe they can look at bargains who have some offensive talent and a skillset that might mesh well on the top line at rw. stamkos just isn't the right fit for their needs and when you add in the price along with his addition preventing any other real additions being made where they're really needed....it just makes absolutely no sense. which is exactly why i'm worried they try to pull it off.

Reactions: bernmeister

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

Can it get done?
no stop giving away assets for rentals

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
If you're going to pay top dollar, I would like to see them in on Lindholm from Calgary or Gourde from Seattle (if they wanted to take a shot at a player for two playoff runs) Stamkos would come in and expect everyone to reslot places around him. That's not what we need. We need solid third line Center who can play up in the lineup if needed. That's not Stamkos.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
If you're going to pay top dollar, I would like to see them in on Lindholm from Calgary or Gourde from Seattle (if they wanted to take a shot at a player for two playoff runs) Stamkos would come in and expect everyone to reslot places around him. That's not what we need. We need solid third line Center who can play up in the lineup if needed. That's not Stamkos.
Since we’re talking about hypotheticals here I think if Giroux tells Ottawa management he wants a chance at the cup and the team isn’t where he expected it to be, NYR and him would be a great fit.

ShaneinTpa

May 21, 2019
It’s not out of the realm of possibility that Stamkos is moved at the TDL. But it won’t be to New York, at least not the Rangers. One only has to look at the splash moves of Tarasenko and Kane last year to realize that’s not where their needs are. Stamp also has a no movement clause and would likely not waive it unless he knew he had an opportunity to re-sign in Tampa in the off-season.

lakeshirts37

Jun 25, 2019
worried about the rangers pursuing this if things break the wrong way for tampa and the rangers have chytil's cap space to work with. nothing against stamkos just don't see a natural role for him to step into so they'd inevitably force pieces into new places and it's uncomfortable for everyone. also don't want to give up what it would cost for a pure rental.

the rangers need to use that space to add some speed and aggression to the bottom 6, not on a splashy name that doesn't have a natural roster fit. depending on how efficient they are adding to the bottom 6, maybe they can look at bargains who have some offensive talent and a skillset that might mesh well on the top line at rw. stamkos just isn't the right fit for their needs and when you add in the price along with his addition preventing any other real additions being made where they're really needed....it just makes absolutely no sense. which is exactly why i'm worried they try to pull it off.
1RW needs to be upgraded and he’d slot in nicely

It’s not out of the realm of possibility that Stamkos is moved at the TDL. But it won’t be to New York, at least not the Rangers. One only has to look at the splash moves of Tarasenko and Kane last year to realize that’s not where their needs are. Stamp also has a no movement clause and would likely not waive it unless he knew he had an opportunity to re-sign in Tampa in the off-season.
this makes no sense
Edit: none of your post makes any sense

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Stamkos would come in and expect everyone to reslot places around him.

Not arguing that Stamkos makes sense for the Rangers, but I will disagree strongly with this. Stamkos has over the course of his career shown a willingness to do whatever he can to help his team win and to play at whatever position and on whichever line his coach asks him to. He’s not the type to come in and demand that his new team change itself to suit him.

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
1RW needs to be upgraded and he’d slot in nicely

this makes no sense
Edit: none of your post makes any sense

too expensive and eliminates all available cap space for more critical upgrades. look at teams that have won cups and the pieces they added at the deadline. i don't remember a single blockbuster deadline addition being part of a cup winner. people overlook the human side and locker room impact on those deals...hard to bring a superstar who's been in one place his whole career, worn the c there where he played a huge role in establishing that culture...and expect him to immediately and simultaneously immerse himself in a new group/adjust to taking a secondary leadership role/deal with all the stuff that comes with living in a new place and working out his family life/find his role on the ice with the team which will almost certainly mean disrupting something that didn't need to be disrupted like pp1 etc. it's not a video game where you pick up a 93 overall player and he plays like a 93 overall player and it has no impact on anyone else on the team. if they had a true need he fit and the idea was he'd be signed, sure. he is not what they need though and he can't be resigned. the need is an upgrade at rw in the top 6, but in the form of a complementary skillset that fits the other 2 players, not one of the biggest names in the league that completely alters the dynamics of the line and team. he makes no sense from an asset management, roster management, or locker room dynamics perspective. the only place it makes sense is a video game.

it has nothing to do with stamkos and not in any way saying anything negative about him. he's a guy any team in the league would want, but you can't add him as a deadline piece to a team that expects to be a contender. that's a guy you need to have from the beginning of the season to have any chance of him adjusting to the team and finding his role where you could actually get the best of him. hell many big names who switch teams struggle their entire first season in a new place....for every matthew tkachuk or panarin there's a huberdeau/meier/gaudreau/dubois/trouba etc. there's simply no reason the rangers should even consider it, and quite frankly, unless stamkos wants out neither should the lightning.

Reactions: bernmeister

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Not arguing that Stamkos makes sense for the Rangers, but I will disagree strongly with this. Stamkos has over the course of his career shown a willingness to do whatever he can to help his team win and to play at whatever position and on whichever line his coach asks him to. He’s not the type to come in and demand that his new team change itself to suit him.
It's not even that he would demand it, but it would happen. You're gonna get Stamkos and not play him PP minutes? Who sits? It's the best PP in the league. Leave it alone. It happened last year with Kane and Tarasenko. You could see players deferring to them and it wasn't a good fit. This team just needs a little salt, you don't need to change the whole recipe.

slg1963

Jan 23, 2015
Canada
I agree with this, Kadri could be available as well.

lakeshirts37

Jun 25, 2019
too expensive and eliminates all available cap space for more critical upgrades. look at teams that have won cups and the pieces they added at the deadline. i don't remember a single blockbuster deadline addition being part of a cup winner. people overlook the human side and locker room impact on those deals...hard to bring a superstar who's been in one place his whole career, worn the c there where he played a huge role in establishing that culture...and expect him to immediately and simultaneously immerse himself in a new group/adjust to taking a secondary leadership role/deal with all the stuff that comes with living in a new place and working out his family life/find his role on the ice with the team which will almost certainly mean disrupting something that didn't need to be disrupted like pp1 etc. it's not a video game where you pick up a 93 overall player and he plays like a 93 overall player and it has no impact on anyone else on the team. if they had a true need he fit and the idea was he'd be signed, sure. he is not what they need though and he can't be resigned. the need is an upgrade at rw in the top 6, but in the form of a complementary skillset that fits the other 2 players, not one of the biggest names in the league that completely alters the dynamics of the line and team. he makes no sense from an asset management, roster management, or locker room dynamics perspective. the only place it makes sense is a video game.

it has nothing to do with stamkos and not in any way saying anything negative about him. he's a guy any team in the league would want, but you can't add him as a deadline piece to a team that expects to be a contender. that's a guy you need to have from the beginning of the season to have any chance of him adjusting to the team and finding his role where you could actually get the best of him. hell many big names who switch teams struggle their entire first season in a new place....for every matthew tkachuk or panarin there's a huberdeau/meier/gaudreau/dubois/trouba etc. there's simply no reason the rangers should even consider it, and quite frankly, unless stamkos wants out neither should the lightning.
TLDR?

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Tampa would have to eat half. That's gonna cost.

Then the Rangers have to get another team to eat have of the remaining half. Thats gonna cost.

Never gonna happen.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Lindholm likely also a mistake unless we get permission before and do a sign + trade equiv. Howev, he turned down 9 per x 8. This guy is not gonna be cheap.

Also NY needs to add not so much subtract assets to take on an addition.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Don’t see how this works and I don’t see Tampa moving him.

After last year, I also think the Rangers would be better served going after Lindholm than Stamkos.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Too expensive.
Using the MSL trade as a blueprint, you are probably looking at a package of two 1st, Kakko, and a 7th for Stamkos and a 2nd. And that is without the cap retention that would probably be required to make the deal happen.
Big nope unless TB feels so bad about how they fleeced in the McD JT Miller trade that they are willing to give us a break which -- has that ever happened? :thumbd:

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Too expensive.
Using the MSL trade as a blueprint, you are probably looking at a package of two 1st, Kakko, and a 7th for Stamkos and a 2nd. And that is without the cap retention that would probably be required to make the deal happen.
Big nope unless TB feels so bad about how they fleeced in the McD JT Miller trade that they are willing to give us a break which -- has that ever happened? :thumbd:
MSL had an extra year left on his contract. Regardless, Stamkos doesn't make any sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad