Sportsnet: Sportsnet 650 ' Canucks listening to offers on Virtanen'

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
Nucks fan,

The down low on virtanen.

Positives:
Skates extremely fast in a straight line.
Made major improvements on systematic play this year, mainly forecheck, marking his defensive check. Cycling, puck possession. Has also fixed his training schedule ( dedicated, no longer fat and lazy)
Plays hard and usually makes some big hits.
Agitates and gets below opponents skin but doesnt usually take bad penalties.

Negatives:
Dumb as a rock. Does not possess any offensive IQ besides standard plays.
Hard but very inaccurate shot.
Often takes low percentage shots.
Has recently struggled and coasting abit in d zone.
Bad passer

Overall, i expect virtanen to be a perennial 35 point 3rd line player with peak 50 point seasons. I just dont see enough offensive upside to justify a top 6 role. IQ cant be taught. However, still a very impactful player, makes hits, has improved massively on d zone play. Very fast.

The only offer in this thread i would consider is the zadorov one. Maybe jones with a small add. Personally i would rather keep him or package him with something else to acquire a legit 2nd pairing D

Pretty accurate.

His patented move: semi-beating D with his speed on the outside, cruising around the net to the far face off dot, low percentage shot

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
Sure he is.

Canuck's fan saying you're completely out to lunch. A top 3 dman under 23 is worth a decent young 2nd liner of the same age.

Do you mean, a D-man with an outside shot at being a top 3 dman?

Because Virtanen is currently a third liner, which is probably the equivalent of, what? A bad 4th or good 5th dman?

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
You're gonna be very disappointed by the return he gets if those are your expectations
22 yrs old.

On pace for 20 + goals...

Hmmm who’s his Center the last 10 games?

I know this one, it’s Brandon Sutter...

How many assists does Sutter have this season? The answer is 1..... 1 assist.

It’s always the same, Canucks players have no value.

Usually I agree but not with Virtanen. He’s big, he’s strong, he’s fast and he hits. Food luck finding a player with that mould at 22 for your garbage offers.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
22 yrs old.

Usually I agree but not with Virtanen. He’s big, he’s strong, he’s fast and he hits. Food luck finding a player with that mould at 22 for your garbage offers.

You also basically just described Sam Bennett. Do you think he returns a top 3 D under 23?

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
You also basically just described Sam Bennett. Do you think he returns a top 3 D under 23?
Yes. Some inconsistencies like Virtanen but when he’s on he can make a huge impact.

Maybe I’m undervaluing a top 3 under 23 but power forwards are also hard to find.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
no thanks. johnsson already has more pts than virtanen has ever hit.
jake looks like a 15g/30pt 3rd liner to me and his peak is probably 20/20

unless its a deal around brown which adds grit to line 4 i doubt leafs do it
umm, first he is a lot more than points. which your team doesn't seem to get, which is why the Islanders you know the team who would die without JT ? are better than the leafs lol. Also, jo has played a hell of a lot more with skilled players then JV has this year. easy pass from Van

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
Amazing to see how overrated a 3rd liner can be.
Maybe watch him play. or notice he has doubled his stats in half the time manty nights with not our best offensive players. the guy was 3rd last I checked in driving the play and creating chances. prolly the most important analytic in hockey. He created a goal scoring chance 73% of the time he rushed past centre ice. Only McDavid and Sid had better numbers.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
22 yrs old.

A top 9 winger is not equivalent to a top 4 D

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Maybe watch him play. or notice he has doubled his stats in half the time manty nights with not our best offensive players. the guy was 3rd last I checked in driving the play and creating chances. prolly the most important analytic in hockey. He created a goal scoring chance 73% of the time he rushed past centre ice. Only McDavid and Sid had better numbers.

I've watched him plenty. That accusation is so lazy.

He is having a decent season - he is still a massive disappointment.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
he's been in the ahl for 2 season in a row.
Yacwith very little progress. Do you think Quinn is going to spend a second in the minors? yet Lily at one point was a possible 1st. Oj had almost a PPG in his first year in the AHL until he got hurt. Also, it was caught on tape that his own assistant coach said he would never make the NH. He has zero IQ and makes the type of pass that will get someone's head knocked off. The guy you drafted last year looks a 100 times better.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
As an Oiler fan what would you say is the very least you would give up for Puljujarvi??

Virtanen is just as high of a draft pick and has proven himself waay more than Puljujarvi and plays a style that a lot of playoff teams look for.

So whatever it is you would accept for Puljujarvi then multiply by 2 as to what Vancouver would want for Virtanen.

If youd do Puljujarvi for Caleb Jones then i have a nickel to sell you for a dollar.
it hard to say, since both our defenses need a ton of work. JV would be the missing link on your top line. imagine a guy who can keep up protect and drive the play go to the corners playing with MC He would score 40 easy and that's not even a joke. He is Connor perfect winger. For that reason, I don't see a deal unless it was some type of 3 way with a team like the Canes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad