Rumor: Spittin' Chiclets: Leafs working on a Marner extension

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Edmonton's current run is proof that you don't need a World beating goalie to go far

Toronto simply need a "good" goalie, a solid defensive system and players that won't choke during the playoffs

Matthews and Nylander are fine, but Bitch Marner and Tavares are as soft as toilet paper, you can't have 25% of your budget allowed to absolute ASS playoffs performers

.87PPG & 0.74PPG isn't exactly what I'd call ass....

• Haha
Reactions: Haatley

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
What championship calibre goaltender have the Leafs employed since 2016?

Because here are the goalies who’ve beaten them:

Braden Holtby - championship winning goaltender.

Tuukka Rask x2 - two finals as a starter, one ring as Thomas’s backup, better career numbers than Price and Quick.

Korpisalo/Merzlevkis - fair enough, shouldn’t have lost to them.

Carey Price - arguably the best goalie of his generation.

Andrei Vasilevskiy - 2x champion, and the actual best goalie of his generation.

Sergei Bobrovsky - 2x Vezina winner, top-5 goalie of his generation.

Linus Ullmark/Jeremy Swayman - reigning Vezina trophy winner + the guy who took the reigning Vezina winner’s job.

And y’all wanna hold Mitch Marner accountable for Freddie Andersen being the best goalie Toronto has employed his entire career.

Spend some assets on a legitimate tendy, for Christ.
Too bad that TOR was the only team that has had to face good goaltending. And I remember the real issue being the lack of offense rather than having goaltending melt down.

Smart asset remarks aside, every team is built differently, and the Leafs were incredibly smart/lucky to hit on 4 early 1st round picks pretty much in a row. They built around that, and they're struggling to change approaches right now because they know how lucky they are to have that much high end talent. Unfortunately, they made some bad decisions on contracts that have hampered their ability to build a great team.

.964 in two games.

The guy has 34 career starts across three seasons.

Could he turn into a player, of course.

Is he the guy you want to hinge your championship aspirations on in the biggest fishbowl market in the sport?

I wouldn’t.

You really think you can’t do better than Joseph Woll?
Which goalie would you have had the Leafs get this offseason instead?

Washed Up 29YearOld

Bro Do You Even Hockey?
Apr 29, 2018
Buffalo NY
It's pretty bad.. In the regular season they're 90+ point players. Most players see a dip in their stats in the playoffs compared to reg season--- but when it's THAT much of a drop, it's hard to see it as anything other than 'ass'.

Look at McDavid for example, he thrives under the pressure of playoffs and performs better in them.

What's stopping Marner and Matthews from doing the same if they're as good as their regular season stats suggest?

Reactions: luiginb

Strangle

May 4, 2009
They're gonna run it back until Matthews, Marner, and Nylander are 38 years old.

And then won’t be able to trade them for futures to start a new rebuild because of NMC

This. I don't think people understand how valuable he is to this team. He's got his ways but he is an unreal 200ft player. Hate his playoff game all you want, he is a big part of why the leafs are so successful in the regular season.

Also, if a team offers a #1 d man straight up for him, you take it.

“So successful”? The leafs havent won a division (Canadian division doesn’t count), or a conference title or a presidents trophy.

They aren’t at all successful in the regular season, they are a 5th place team in their conference

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
And then won’t be able to trade them for futures to start a new rebuild because of NMC

“So successful”? The leafs havent won a division (Canadian division doesn’t count), or a conference title or a presidents trophy.

They aren’t at all successful in the regular season, they are a 5th place team in their conference
nah they are as good as anyone in the regular season. Also make a habit of resting players down the stretch.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I don’t see how an extension happens.
IF and I mean big IF the two sides are on the same page, him wanting to be here and the Leafs wanting to keep him, it’s the Nylander deal. 8 years, 11.5M and not a cent higher. I see Mitch feeling disrespected by that (because it’s his default mode) and even if he accepted it it’s probably not the right direction for the team to take from a cap perspective.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
No chance. Marner out produces Nylander every single year and outside of Nylander's contract year (marner was still better) it's by a significant amount. It's not a question of if Marner gets more than Nylander it's by how much. And the Leafs will sign him.
Nylander is a bit better with the puck than Marner. Marner is significantly better without the puck than Nylander. A player has the puck about 5
Letting him walk still isnt working on an extension for him like OP suggests is happening. Majority of Leaf fans want Marner gone, whether thats this summer or the next. People just want to make sure we never see him in a leafs jersey in 2025-2026.

If Marner is being difficult to work out a move, then I hope the Leafs are difficult with Marner's deployment this year. Keep him away from Matthews as much as possible.
Msrner is a fantastic player. Berube will play him a lot.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Nylander is a bit better with the puck than Marner. Marner is significantly better without the puck than Nylander. A player has the puck about 5

Msrner is a fantastic player. Berube will play him a lot.
Points are money

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
People acting like the Leafs are idiots to extend a 27 year old with 639 points in 576 games.

He had a dud playoff.

Year before, he had 14 points in 11 playoff games, and before that, 8 in 7.

But everyone decided it was Mitch’s time in the barrel this year.

Well it worked - talk enough shit about a guy for an entire season, and watch as he puts too much pressure on himself and has 3 in 7.

The idiotic thing to do is trade your 1.11 PPG star player.

Who is from your friggen Town, no less.

Toronto, this is why you can’t have nice things.

“Trade Marner? You don’t just trade a player with such and such points!”

If the Knights had that “safe” mentality they probably don’t have a cup

A lot of his points seem to come in bunches in the playoffs, particularly early series then shut down late.

He wasn’t stellar against the Habs 2021

The first Bolts playoff series in 2022 he had 6 of his 8 points at the very very beginning of the series, then was contained pretty well most of the series

Most of his 2023 playoff points were against a past prime Bolts teams, then effectively shut down by the panthers with one even strength point and two power play assists. I think points in 2 of the 5 games. And that’s as while averaging over 24 mins a game, well over all the forwards on both teams who outscored him

Then 3 in 7 against the Bruins and didnt look particularly impactful for long stretches aside from a game or two

He seems to excel early series or when his whole team has momentum, and frustrated/shutdown easier when the other team starts to put the pressure on and things get close, and especially if the other team is physical. He doesn’t will himself through the tough series.

Moving on from Marner wouldn’t be “making a change for the sake of making a change”. There’s a pretty solid reason, this core hasn’t done it with a ton of chances. Granted the ideal time to move him would have been before his NMC but oh well.

10 mil in cap space, plus his raise, could be used for different combinations of solid UFA Dmen (there’s a decent crop this year), and a 2nd or 3rd line forward. Or two forwards, or whatever. Spread the wealth, have threats on every line. Some deep run playoff teams have barely even had legit superstars but rather depth.

Last edited:
Reactions: VivaLasVegas

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
How many brain cells does one need to damage or lose entirely before anything these tossers at Spitting Shitlets are seen as any sort of actual source of info.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
In the modern NHL? .87 isn’t stellar for 10-12mil unless it’s over like one series, small sample size

And if you look at game by game breakdowns of Marner over the last few years he’s only had really one dominant series

Like, his points don’t tend to be distributed evenly over the series. He’ll get 4 points in a game 1 blow out, then the opponents will adjust and every subsequent game will be 2-1 and he’ll score almost nothing

eg more points than games played the previous playoffs, but almost all of that was in a struggling Tampa net. He was neutered against the Panthers

The previous Tampa series before that, he got 8 in 7 games, but like 6 of those points were in the first couple games, and he was way less impactful on the score sheet most of the series

.87 starts to look less worth the big payday he’ll get. There are defensemen who’ve put up more dominant/consistent offensive series than he has

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
I am sure Vegas will grab him, their SOP seems to be to trade for everyone else’s stars, rather than their own draft.

Mariner and Eichel could be interesting

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad