Movies: Spider-Man: Far From Home (July 5th, 2019)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Not a huge fan of MCU Spidey.

The whole looking up to Iron Man thing is a little much

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Agree with the sentiment that Into the Spiderverse is far superior to MCU Spiderman, although it has its fair share of cringe-y Lego movie humor as well (which is a shame, because the humor is mostly charming when it doesn't devolve into that). The aesthetic is absolutely inspired and I hope it becomes a trend.

MCU movies in general just feel completely compromised, uninteresting, and lifeless in general, even though they've impressively turned being consistently watchable into a science.

The "agenda" thing Pilky's talking about is all part of that, IMO. I don't care to make it a political thing like he does, but there's definitely something about those types of creative decisions that tend to be complained about that do feel unquestionably forced, inauthentic, pander-y, market-researched to death, and absent in personality/back-bone, to me (in a way that other non-Disney things tend to be able to do a better job of avoiding or making less obvious). Whether it may be for an admirable purpose or not. I don't agree with others that people are just making up something that isn't there in order to push their agenda, in that instance. Attributing an agenda to a negative that is undoubtedly already there, maybe.

Last edited:

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I don't care to make it a political thing like he does, but there's definitely something about those types of creative decisions that tend to be complained about that do feel unquestionably forced, inauthentic, pander-y, market-researched to death, and absent in personality/back-bone, to me (in a way that other non-Disney things tend to be able to do a better job of avoiding or making less obvious)

Agreed on some parts. I think Star Wars is much more guilty of this. The MCU certainly has their formula and they’re sticking to it. Why wouldn’t they? Their movies are ALL box office successes and they’ve managed to turn Iron Man 1 into a 20 film comic universe.

In terms of MCU spidey he’s what, 14/15 years old? It’s understandable that the themes and tones are more young than what we’re used to. I personally think it works really well

Reactions: Nizdizzle

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Agreed on some parts. I think Star Wars is much more guilty of this. The MCU certainly has their formula and they’re sticking to it. Why wouldn’t they? Their movies are ALL box office successes and they’ve managed to turn Iron Man 1 into a 20 film comic universe.

In terms of MCU spidey he’s what, 14/15 years old? It’s understandable that the themes and tones are more young than what we’re used to. I personally think it works really well
I didn't suggest that they shouldn't do what they're doing. I just happen to think that it isn't very good (arguably as a consequence of what it has to do in order to become that successful, sure-- If you're pointing out that it's kind of the nature of the business, I agree). My opinions about movies aren't influenced by how much business sense the existence of them makes.

I'm confused about what the latter comment has to do with what I said. I didn't point to the themes/tones skewing younger as being an issue with the MCU. The only thing I said was that Into the Spiderverse occasionally devolved into Lego-Movie humor (which I found out later was because it was actually made by the same people) whereas MCU Universe things tend to feel lifeless and lacking in genuine/uncompromising authenticity (they just feel like empty and kind of shameless commercial products that effectively provide a service, and you can feel how calculated, personality-absent, and contrived they are as you're watching them rather than feeling that they're a genuinely charming and authentic labor of love, IMO). Into the Spiderverse actually skews way way younger (it kind of feels like an outright kids movie for ten-year-olds rather than even a teen/college-age movie), and I thought it was far more satisfying, admirable/inspired, and good, personally.

Last edited:

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Agree with the sentiment that Into the Spiderverse is far superior to MCU Spiderman, although it has its fair share of cringe-y Lego movie humor was well (which is a shame, because the humor is mostly charming when it doesn't devolve into that). The aesthetic is absolutely inspired and I hope it becomes a trend.

MCU movies in general just feel completely compromised, uninteresting, and lifeless in general, even though they've impressively turned being consistently watchable into a science.

The "agenda" thing Pilky's talking about is all part of that, IMO. I don't care to make it a political thing like he does, but there's definitely something about those types of creative decisions that tend to be complained about that do feel unquestionably forced, inauthentic, pander-y, market-researched to death, and absent in personality/back-bone, to me (in a way that other non-Disney things tend to be able to do a better job of avoiding or making less obvious). Whether it may be for an admirable purpose or not. I don't agree with others that people are just making up something that isn't there in order to push their agenda, in that instance. Attributing an agenda to a negative that is undoubtedly already there, maybe.

Well they need to build the universe first then they can have fun with the stories.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I don't really get the lack of enthusiasm for this Spider-Man (and I see it lots of places, from people on all sides of the "culture" debate). I really like the angle they have taken and how they managed to shoehorn Spider-Man into the MCU mid-stream. I think its really impressive how well they've done it.

Maybe its my perspective on the MCU but I don't see it as an infinite storyline that is trying to encapsulate all of Marvel superherodom in one single timeline. Its a 'vertical slice' of Marvel superherodom and lots of characers have to be adjusted in order for it all to make any kind of logical sense.

Im a huge Spider-Man fanboy and I really like MCU Spider-Man as well as everything done with Spider-Verse.

The only Spider-Man I don't really like is Tobey McGuire's. Raimi's movies felt like an attempt to fully emulate classic, old-school Spider-Man and so it felt super corny to me. Whereas I feel like the MCU Spidey had changes that were made for purposeful and logical reasons.

I'm a big fan of 'Iron Man Fanboy' Peter Parker. It makes loads of sense for the world that has been created for these movies.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I don't really get the lack of enthusiasm for this Spider-Man (and I see it lots of places, from people on all sides of the "culture" debate). I really like the angle they have taken and how they managed to shoehorn Spider-Man into the MCU mid-stream. I think its really impressive how well they've done it.

Maybe its my perspective on the MCU but I don't see it as an infinite storyline that is trying to encapsulate all of Marvel superherodom in one single timeline. Its a 'vertical slice' of Marvel superherodom and lots of characers have to be adjusted in order for it all to make any kind of logical sense.

Im a huge Spider-Man fanboy and I really like MCU Spider-Man as well as everything done with Spider-Verse.

The only Spider-Man I don't really like is Tobey McGuire's. Raimi's movies felt like an attempt to fully emulate classic, old-school Spider-Man and so it felt super corny to me. Whereas I feel like the MCU Spidey had changes that were made for purposeful and logical reasons.

I'm a big fan of 'Iron Man Fanboy' Peter Parker. It makes loads of sense for the world that has been created for these movies.

People need something to complain about.

Reactions: Loosie

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
It's pretty simple: They changed what made Spider-Man Spider-Man. Sorry some people are not brainless fanboys who blow their load every time they see multiple superheroes on-screen.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Can you expand on this?
Peter Parker's Spider-Man is supposed to be independent more or less. His uncle is already dead in the MCU and so you'd think he'd be a little wiser, a little more mature, but that's clearly not the case in the movies. He's also supposed to be a genius but he has everything handed to him by Tony Stark and is always seeking his validation. He's basically Iron Boy. Mix that in with your typical teenage angst story and there's your MCU Spider-Man. It's boring, annoying, and blatantly pandering to children/teens when it doesn't need to be. Growing up, I loved Spider-MAN not Spider-BOY and I'm not alone. Disney doesn't understand that. Style over substance -- that's the Disney way.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Well I guess I just see it mostly differently.

I am kind of with you on the tech stuff. I am not a fan of him wearing what is basically an Iron-Man suit, but like I said earlier. I think there are lots of things they have had to adjust in order to shoehorn him into the MCU so late in the game. Overall I think those changes work well and specifically, in terms of the particular story they are telling, I think it works brilliantly ("What is he, your ward?")!

I wouldn't consider MCU Holland to be a definitive Spider-Man, but I do think he does a great Peter Parker. And I very much like the younger take on Spider-Man because superheroes, especially the low-key crime fighter variety, just don't work when they get older. Spider-Man stories always got lame once Peter became an adult, got married and/or had kids.

That btw is another area where Spider-Verse knocked it out of the freaking park. Peter B. Parker is exactly how I imagined Spider-Man would be if he made it to his 40's. Keeping a secret identity and fighting crime while trying to protect your family would beat the ever loving shit out of anybody.

Reactions: Hypernova

Huggy43

Jan 13, 2016
Burnaby, BC
MCU Peter did develop the original web shooter technology & as shown in Homecoming makes his web cartridges . Overall it’s not 100% accurate to the character but fits the universe they’ve created & how he was brought into it. Also correct me if I’m wrong but Stark developed the Iron Spider suit in the comics, so that’s at least accurate...

I’m 100% biased though because I love his MCU suit & this version of Spider-Man. Plus the idea of a 15 yr old kid living in a single parent home in 2016/17 NY designing some kind of sleek suit alone makes me start thinking too much in a movie where suspended disbelief is needed.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
MCU Peter did develop the original web shooter technology & as shown in Homecoming makes his web cartridges . Overall it’s not 100% accurate to the character but fits the universe they’ve created & how he was brought into it. Also correct me if I’m wrong but Stark developed the Iron Spider suit in the comics, so that’s at least accurate...

I’m 100% biased though because I love his MCU suit & this version of Spider-Man. Plus the idea of a 15 yr old kid living in a single parent home in 2016/17 NY designing some kind of sleek suit alone makes me start thinking too much in a movie where suspended disbelief is needed.
MCU probably tracks closer to Ultimate Parker than 616 Parker.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
New Far Form Home trailer up. Yes! Has spoilers, so don't watch if you haven't seen Endgame. Also, I think this shows why it's in Phase 3.... man I am pretty excited for this.

*SPOILERS*

Should we have discussion about this in the Endgame spoiler thread, or just discuss it in here? Curious what people think.

Reactions: Roman Fell

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
New Far Form Home trailer up. Yes! Has spoilers, so don't watch if you haven't seen Endgame. Also, I think this shows why it's in Phase 3.... man I am pretty excited for this.

*SPOILERS*

Should we have discussion about this in the Endgame spoiler thread, or just discuss it in here? Curious what people think.

NITPICK TIME!

I don't love the direction they're going. I don't want Spider-Man to be the new Iron Man. I want him to be Spider-Man.

Might be fun, but... meh, don't love it.

I will say I'm curious as to what angle Mysterio is playing. I don't think I buy him as a hero, but I could be convinced.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
NITPICK TIME!

I don't love the direction they're going. I don't want Spider-Man to be the new Iron Man. I want him to be Spider-Man.

Might be fun, but... meh, don't love it.

I will say I'm curious as to what angle Mysterio is playing. I don't think I buy him as a hero, but I could be convinced.

*SPOILERS*

I could be wrong, but Peter's arc in this movie could be about him "being himself" and not trying to be the next Iron Man.

I am guessing it's a misdirect on Mysterio, but I could be wrong.

Either way, we finally have the multi-verse! I am assuming that's why they wanted to technically keep this in Phase 3.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
*SPOILERS*

I could be wrong, but Peter's arc in this movie could be about him "being himself" and not trying to be the next Iron Man.

I am guessing it's a misdirect on Mysterio, but I could be wrong.

Either way, we finally have the multi-verse! I am assuming that's why they wanted to technically keep this in Phase 3.
There's kind of two ways to look at it - I mean, Spider-Man is one of a small handful of people on the planet (in the MCU, not 616) that has legit actual superpowers. Super strong, super agile, stick on walls, etc. So it'd be kind of stupid to have ya know - Falcon or Hawkeye as an Avenger when you have him on the sidelines.

Yeah, this is probably going to be the tension in the movie. I don't know... I'll withhold judgment.

Reactions: Voight

John Price

Gang Gang
Sep 19, 2008
This movie looks damn awesome. Peter trying to balance spider man r ole with hanging with his friends

MJ figuring out he is Spider man "it's kind of obvious" :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad