spfan's 2024 NHL Mock Draft - With Analysis

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

spfan

May 4, 2009
These are not predictions. This is how I would pick if I were each team.

1. :sharks San Jose Sharks - C Macklin Celebrini
6'0" 197lbs

NCAA 38GP 32G 32A 64pts

Obvious pick. Celebrini projects extremely well to the NHL and has a high ceiling as well. Slam dunk #1 Center. The Sharks have some good pieces already, but they get a franchise player here. Celebrini can do everything. Extremely smart with or without the puck, good speed, great shot, good playmaking and vision as well. High IQ and smart defensive player. He may not be a Bedard or McDavid, but he's a very worthy 1st overall player still. Solid size and should make the jump to the NHL right away and already have an impact for the Sharks. #1 Center, franchise player upside.

Comparisons: Somewhere between Jonathan Toews and Sidney Crosby

2. :hawksChicago Blackhawks - RW Ivan Demidov 6'0" 192lbs

MHL 30GP 23G 37A 60pts

On pure skill alone, Demidov is actually the #1 player in the draft. He just has more questions and doesn't project as safely as Celebrini. But his pure stickhandling skills and talent are some of the best in years. He shoots well and is a very creative playmaker. There was some worry with his size, but skill is skill anyways and the measurements have silenced critics. Solid build already. He'll never be a real physical or strong defensive player, but he's fine in those areas too. His upside and offensive ceiling is extremely high. Blackhawks could use another top d-man, but Demidov is too good to pass up and while Bedard was an excellent start, they still need more forward talent. Whether he plays on a line with Bedard or not, Demidov makes Chicago's offense even scarier. Although Demidov and Bedard would be pretty ideal linemates. He will be playing in the KHL next year to finish out his contract, but he's set to be ready after that. No doubts if he will come over. Superstar potential.

Comparisons: Kirill Kaprizov, Nikita Kucherov

Alternate picks: Artyom Levshunov, Cayden Lindstrom

Mighty Ducks make a triumphant return ...
Anaheim Ducks - D Artyom Levshunov
6'2" 205lbs

NCAA 38GP 9G 26A 35pts

Ducks have spent some high picks of forwards and they've got that pretty figured out. They've got some good LHD. With their biggest need being a RHD, this is a perfect spot for them to take Levshunov. I wouldn't call Levshunov a franchise d-man, but someone that projects as a top pairing d-man still. He's got pretty good size, solid skating, pretty good in his own end, a physical component and he's got good offensive upside. He's not a perfect player, but he brings a lot of things that makes him project pretty well to the NHL, while having good upside too. You probably shouldn't rush him, but I think you can put him in the NHL for 2025-2026. Pretty safe floor with top pairing upside.

Comparisons: John Carlson, Brent Burns

Alternate picks: Cayden Lindstrom, Berkly Catton

4. :cbjColumbus Blue Jackets - C Cayden Lindstrom 6'3" 213lbs

WHL 32GP 27G 19A 46pts

After taking a big, skilled Center in Fantili last year, they do the same again. Now Lindstrom isn't a Fantili level prospect, but he won't need to be a #1 Center. There was questions whether Kent Johnston could be a Center, so this allows him to play wing or if they even decide to trade him. With this pick, CBJ is set for Centers for a long time. Lindstrom is a pretty safe bet for the NHL, while having good upside. He brings a more power forward element, but he's smart and skilled enough to not rely just on his size. He's quite a good goal scorer and plays a solid two-way game. The only question with him was his back injury that made him miss a good chunk of the year. But assuming there's no concerns there, there's not much to question about selecting him this high. Should let him play at least 1 more year in the WHL, but could be ready after that. Safe floor with Top 6 upside.

Comparisons: Dylan Cozens, Anze Kopitar

Alternate picks: Berkly Catton, Tij Iginla

5. :habs Montreal Canadiens - C/LW Berkly Catton 5'10" 175lbs

WHL 68GP 54G 72A 116pts

Montreal have some good pieces, but could use more fire power still. Catton is as dynamic and skilled as they come. The concerns are his size, which to me, doesn't matter much, skill is skill, talent is talent. And he's not even that small. Players his size have had great careers. The only real question to me is, can he be an NHL center or will he "just" be a star winger. Regardless, the Habs need his talent and Catton has among the highest upside in the draft. He's a good skater, really smart and dynamic. Very good playmaker, but he clearly can score goals as well. He might need 2 years before jumping to the NHL, but it's absolutely worth the wait. Top line upside.

Comparisons: Clayton Keller, Patrick Kane

Alternate picks: Tij Iginla, Cole Eiserman

utah.png
Utah Hockey Club - D Zeev Buium
6'0" 186lbs

NCAA 42GP 11G 39A 50pts

This is a player I absolutely love and I could easily see him moving up even more in those hypothetical re-drafts years in the future. Helped capture an NCAA title which shows he has the winner mentality. He may not be huge, but there's no size concerns either. He leans a little more offensive, but he's a very well rounded defender as well. Good skater. Projects really well to the NHL and is the ideal modern day NHL d-man in style. Utah needs more defensive help and while they got Simashev last ear, he's much more defensive leaning. Buium can be someone that runs your PP, but also really good 5 on 5 and you wouldn't have a problem playing him on your PK either. Already had a dominant NCAA year as a freshman, but it wouldn't be a bad thing to have him play 1 more year at least. I could see him making the jump after that though. Safe floor, high ceiling, top pairing d-man.

Comparisons: Devon Toews, Adam Fox

Alternate picks: Sam Dickinson, Zayne Parekh

7. :sensOttawa Senators - D Zayne Parekh 6'0" 178lbs

OHL 66GP 33G 63A 96pts

Sens really could use a RHD and they get someone with among the highest upside in the draft. There's Chychrhun trade rumors as well, so they might need a long term replacement for a top 4 d-man. Now, there is more risk and bust potential in Parekh. Defensively, it's not his strong suit at all. But his offensive ceiling is the highest among all d-man as well. While the Sens do have some good d-men, this would be the closest thing to having another Karlsson again. Parekh is the prototypical dynamic, offensive d-man. He can score goals like very few d-men can. His ability to run a PP is highly desired. Especially with having Sanderson in the fold, and Parekh struggling more on the defensive side of things, they could make an ideal pairing. With Sanderson, there won't be as much worry with Parekh defensively. Of course he'll need to continue to develop that side, but this might be 1 of the better landing spots for him. He's 1 of the less NHL ready players at the top of the draft, but like I said, he will need to grow in his defensive game, so spending another couple of years in the OHL refining that part would be best for his development. Boom or bust, but star upside as an offensive d-man.

Comparisons: Erik Karlsson, Tyson Barrie

8. :seattleSeattle Kraken - D Sam Dickinson 6'3" 203lbs

OHL 68GP 18G 52A 70pts

Another team that could really use more high end d-men. He projects as a more classic two-way d-man with size. He's a player with all the tools you want. Great skating, big shot from the point. There's some doubts with his hockey IQ, but overall, he's a pretty ideal d-man. Good defensively, but could be a good addition to your PP too. Should be a big minute muncher in the NHL. 1 of the closer to NHL ready players in the draft. But I'd still wait at least 1 year before having him make the jump. Safe floor, but top pairing upside.

Comparisons: Noah Hanifin, Jakob Chychrun

9. :flamesCalgary Flames - LW/C Tij Iginla 6'0" 191lbs

WHL 64GP 47G 37A 84pts

Calgary are a team that's likely ready to start a big rebuild. They're a team that can really go BPA and it happens to be a match made in heaven. Not only is Iginla the BPA, he's also got the obvious very strong connection with the team as his father Jarome was a huge deal there. Tij was 1 of the bigger rises over the year. He's a do it all player. He's not going to be quite the physical force as his dad, but he's got some grit. He likes to make skill plays, but he's the type that plays the game the right way as well. He's a tremendous forechecker and strips pucks often. He's got quite a good shot, but he's not a slouch as a playmaker. He projects as a winger, but with his development so far, he does have a chance to be a Center at the next level. He will get the chance to play Center in the WHL next year, so time will tell there. 1-2 years away from the NHL. He's a projectable player that has safe top 6 upside, but he could even have top line upside.

Comparisons: Zach Parise, Filip Forsberg

Alternate picks: Cole Eiserman, Konsta Helenius

10. :devils New Jersey Devils - LW Cole Eiserman 6'0" 197lbs

NTDP 57GP 58G 31A 89pts

Opposite of Iginla, Eiserman's 1 of the bigger fallers of the draft. But I think it was somewhat unfair. I think there's been an overcorrection. He may not be a top 2 guy like once thought, but I think you absolutely bet on the upside with a pretty high pick still. He's the best goal scorer in the draft, evidence by the all time NTDP goal record. Now there's a lot of question about what else does he do besides score goals, which obviously he will need to continue to do because you can't rely on just your shot at the NHL level, but I feel he has grown his game more beyond that. He doesn't have any size concerns either and does bring some physicality and a power component to his game too. I believe this is an ideal fit as well. Jack Hughes as his set up man should be a deadly combo. There's going to be some bust potential here, but you've also got some of the highest upside as a top line winger. Will need a couple of years in the NCAA before making the jump.

Comparisons: Brock Boeser, Mike Hoffman

Alternate picks: Beckett Sennecke, Anton Silayev

Comparisons: Noah Dobson, Adam Larsson

11.:sharksSan Jose Sharks - D Carter Yakemchuk 6'3" 202lbs

WHL 66GP 30G 40A 71pts

The Sharks have a lot of good forward pieces now, now they badly have to address their defense. The skill and offensive side are his strengths, but his skating and defending abilities are the big questions. He compares most to Parekh among fellow d-men, although he does have more ideal size. His shot is very good and his puck skills and ability to deke are the best in the class among d-men. So he's definitely got strengths, but the IQ and defending is a big question and as a d-man, that is a bigger risk. He'd be an ideal d-man to run a PP. Boom or bust with top pairing upside. Needs 2-3 years before making the jump to the NHL.

Comparisons: Aaron Ekblad, Evan Bouchard

Alternate picks: Anton Silayev, Adam Jiricek

12. :flyersPhiladelphia Flyers - C/RW Konsta Helenius 5'11" 189lbs

Liiga 51GP 14G 22A 36pts

Michkov was an excellent start to this rebuild, but there gonna need more top 6 forwards. With Gauthier forcing his way out, they definitely are in need for top 6 Centers. Helenius may not have ideal NHL size, but he's not too small either. He may not have star dynamic potential, but he has enough skill to go with his top asset in his smarts. He may not be a top line star, but projecting him as a #2 Center is the likely outcome. Good playmaker, high IQ, can score goals as well. Already playing against men in Liiga, so he might be in the NHL quicker than some. probably 2 years away. Pretty safe NHL bet, two-way #2 Center upside.

Comparisons: Mikael Granlund, Marco Rossi

Alternate picks: Beckett Sennecke, Michael Brandsegg-Nygard

13. :wildMinnesota Wild - D Anton Silayev 6'7" 211lbs

KHL 63GP 3G 8A 11pts

The unicorn of the draft. While some see an extremely tantalizing mix of size, speed and raw upside, I think his lack of skill and offensive upside makes him more of a 2nd pairing upside. But at this point of the draft, this is a fine slot to pick him. And a team that's in need of top 4 d-man. What he doesn't bring in skill and offensive upside, I do see a very safe pick and someone that you still need in your lineup. His size and skating and defensive game make him a likely 2nd pairing, dependable d-man. His skating, size and reach will make him hard to beat and you can put him on your top PK and he'll be quite valuable 5 on 5. He's playing against men already, has NHL size and great skating for the size, so he is going to be closer than most to NHL ready, but he does have a 2 year KHL contract, but that's more ideal anyways cause you can let him potentially grow in his offensive game in the KHL for those couple of more years and will be good for the long term. Very safe floor, 2nd pairing upside.

Comparisons: Nikita Zadorov, Tyler Myers

Alternate picks: Adam Jiricek, Beckett Sennecke

14. :sabres Buffalo Sabres - D Adam Jiricek 6'2" 168lbs

Czechia 19GP 0G 1A 1pt

Similar to the Sens, Buffalo could really use a RHD. But unlike the Sens, they've really stockpiled every position already. And players like Dahlin, Power, Byram aren't going anywhere any time soon. Jiricek projects more safe and a much more dependable defender. I think he could be an ideal pairing for Dahlin. Jiricek has been a faller since early rankings, but the injury had a lot to do with that. I think he's still 1 of the better d-man, while in a very strong D class. His brother was a very high pick and is looking like he'll live up to that, so there is some pedigree here too. He will need to fill out, but he's got an NHL frame. If all goes well, he should be a d-man with size, that does everything. Brings some offense, good skating, some physicality and a very capable defender. Should be a very dependable minute eating d-man at 5 on 5 and can PK as well. There's some risk here on the injury front and not having the ideal draft season, but he does have a projectable game that should translate as a top 4 d-man, with solid upside. Will need a 2-3 more years in Czechia before making the jump.

Comparisons: Rasmus Andersson, Brett Pesce

Alternate picks: Beckett Sennecke, Michael Brandsegg-Nygard

15. :wings Detroit Red Wings - RW Beckett Sennecke 6'2" 184lbs

OHL 63GP 27G 41A 68pts

Another of the biggest risers in the draft. Sennecke is 1 of the most unique cases. He had a huge growth spurt since last year, going from 5'10" to 6'2", close to 6'3" even. So he's always had the skill game playing as a smaller forward, but with now found size, he can play a more power game and that does make him a unique blend of power and skill. 1 of his top assets are his hands. Maybe the top of the class. If you went by the first half of the year, Sennecke is probably being picked in the 20's, but then a strong 2nd half and an even stronger playoff run, his stock skyrocketed. I could definitely see him going even higher in the hypothetical re-drafts in the future, but I do like some others just a little more. With the 1st half of his year being not so impressive, I do remain a little more cautious though with him. He's got an NHL frame. Needs to continue to fill out and as time goes by, he'll need to continue to grow into his new found height. So he is a little raw in that regard. Good playmaker, can score as well. Defensive game could be better. Consistency will be the key. A little more boom or bust, but top 6 upside. Likely 2 years away from being in the NHL.

Comparisons: Drake Batherson, Matt Boldy

Alternate picks: Michael Brandsegg-Nygard, Liam Greentree

16. :blues St. Louis Blues - RW Michael Brandsegg-Nygard 6'1" 207lbs

SWE J20 41GP 8G 10A 18pts

Kind of the forward version of Silayev, but not the ridiculous size. He's not going to blow you away with his skill. He's not got the highest offensive potential, but he's 1 of the safest and most projectable players in the whole draft. You can just imagine him somewhere in an NHL top 9. Is he a checking line forward or a complimentary top 6 winger? He can play physical, win board battles, play the PK and he can score goals too. NHL size already and a solid skater. He doesn't really have an elite attribute, but he's so well rounded and has no weakness. A really know what you're getting type of player and pick. Very safe floor, top 6 upside. Probably just needs 1 more year before he can jump to the NHL.

Comparisons: Lawson Crouse, Artturi Lehkonen

Alternate picks: Liam Greentree, Igor Chernyshov

17. :capsWashington Capitals - RW Liam Greentree 6'2" 215lbs

OHL 64GP 36G 54A 90pts

The Caps need everything, so they go BPA here. Greentree saw his stock drop a little bit this year, but I think it has more to do with other players climbing more than any fault of his own really. The only big knock on him is his skating. But he does have the size and skill to potentially overcome that. He was one of the most productive players this season and he did it on a bad team too. Size, power skill, good shot. Might be a little closer to making the jump than others, but will still need a couple of years. Some risk here, but has top 6 upside.

Comparisons: Jason Robertson, Arthur Kaliyev

Alternate picks: Igor Chernyshov, Alfons Freij

18. :hawksChicago Blackhawks - LW Trevor Connelly 6'1" 160lbs

USHL 52GP 31G 47A 78pts

Chicago continue to draft for players that ooze skill. On skill and talent alone, Connelly is more of a top 10 guy. But there's been reports for a while of off ice issues which does bring more risk. And even on the ice, there can be consistency issues and he took a very costly major penalty in the 3rd period, which ultimately cost his team the win. So there's some real red flags here, but he's among the most skilled in the draft still. Good skater, playmaker and he can score. Has some bite to him too, even if that might cost you sometimes. He does have a decent frame, but a big thing will be filling that out as he's very thin right now. Bedard, Demidov, Moore, Nazar, Connelly, Chicago will definitely not lack in skill up front. Connelly will need a few years before he's NHL ready. A lot of risk here, but the upside is quite high. Top 6, even top line upside.

Comparisons: Jonathan Drouin, Ryan Strome

Alternate picks: Alfons Freij, Stian Solberg

19. :vegas Vegas Golden Knights - D Alfons Freij 6'1" 197lbs

SWE J20 40GP 14G 19A 33pts

VGK have pretty much sacrificed their prospect pool for success now, which has worked pretty well. But they definitely have some aging defensemen and it's time to grab one with pretty high potential. I think he's 1 of the most underrated players in the draft. He's an offensive leaning d-man, but he defends well enough for the most part. He also isn't a small player at all either, so you shouldn't be worried with that. Good transition d-man with good offensive upside. Very modern day style. He's got a solid shot from the point and could contribute to your PP. Should be an effective 5 on 5 player. Some warts on the defensive side, so there's some bust potential, but the top 4 upside is totally worth the swing at this point. Will be a few years away.

Comparisons: Gustav Forsling, Mike Matheson

Alternate picks: Stian Solberg, Igor Chernyshov

20. :islesNew York Islanders - LW/RW Igor Chernyshov 6'2" 196lbs

MHL 22GP 13G 15A 28pts

He feels like the type the NYI would like, but he's a blend of skill and power. He's got pretty nice size already and doesn't lack in offensive gifts either. He can hit, he can score, he can pretty much do it all. He's got a pretty good, safe floor and solid enough upside. Top 6 potential. Will need 2-3 years before he's ready to jump to the NHL.

Comparisons: Nino Niederreiter, Matthew Knies

Alternate picks: Stian Solberg, Jett Luchanko

21. :kings Los Angeles Kings - D Stian Solberg 6'1" 205lbs

Norway 42GP 5G 10A 15pts

LA have a deep forward core and they could use more help on the back end. Solberg could be an ideal future partner to Brandt Clarke. Solberg was maybe the biggest rise this year. Him handling NHL competition at the Worlds was his big coming out party. He doesn't have the highest of skill or offensive upside, but he projects very well to the NHL. Very physical, shut down d-man, who can PK. Solid skating and a decent amount of offensive upside. Very safe floor and top 4 upside. 1 of the closer to ready players. Probably 2 years away.

Comparisons: Josh Manson, Jake McCabe

Alternate picks: EJ Emery, Jett Luchanko

22. :nashville Nashville Predators - C Jett Luchanko - 5'11" 187lbs

OHL 68GP 20G 54A 74pts

Luchanko was another riser this year. While his production doesn't blow you out of the water, his growth from last year projects well for his long term development. He's not a big player, but shouldn't have much size concerns either. He feels like a classic Nashville type of player. Two-way ability, good playmaker. Likely projects as a safe 3C at worst, but could be your #2 Center. 2-3 years away from the NHL.

Comparisons: Nick Suzuki, Alex Kerfoot

Alternate picks: Michael Hage, EJ Emery

23. :leafs Toronto Maple Leafs - C Michael Hage 6'1" 188lbs

USHL 54GP 33G 42A 75pts

I believe he's the BPA here and has among the higher upside in this tier of players. Had a stronger 2nd half, so that could bode well for his expected long term development. He's got pretty good size already, he's a good skater. His offensive skill is definitely there. Rounding out his game and just finding consistency are things he could work on. With Marner trade rumors and Tavares will need a replacement eventually, this could be the ideal pick for the Leafs. A bit of a boom or bust pick, but top 6 upside. Will need a few years before he's NHL ready.

Comparisons: Jordan Kyrou, Nick Schmaltz

Alternate picks: Terik Parascak, EJ Emery

24. :avs Colorado Avalanche - LW Andrew Basha 5'11" 187lbs

WHL 63GP 30G 55A 85pts

With uncertainty with Landeskog and Nichushkin and just general secondary scoring issues, Avs elect for a player that could give them that. With Ritchie last year, Basha projects similarly, but would be that winger they could use. Basha isn't the biggest, but he's not too small. He's a skilled player that can play a checking role too. Versatile forward that you could put in your top 9. Pretty safe floor and top 6 upside. Will need a few years before he's ready to make the jump.

Comparisons: Anthony Beauvillier, Oliver Bjorkstrand

Alternate picks: Terik Parascak, Yegor Surin

25. :bruins Boston Bruins - RW Terik Parascak - 6'0" 179lbs

WHL 68GP 43G 62A 105pts

Last time they drafted 25th, exactly a decade ago, they took a player with a similar last name and it worked out amazingly. Could this turn out similarly? Parascak's biggest knock is his skating and he's not the biggest player. He also played on a stacked team, so there's some worry that his production was boosted by others and not so much from himself. But at this point of the draft, you take that swing. Despite his lack of speed, he is a smart player that gets to where you need him. He will be more of a complimentary type player, but there's some upside to just taking a player who could just be put on a line and he'll make it work. This is definitely a more boom or bust pick, but the upside is among the higher ones. Top 6 upside. Will need a few years before he's NHL ready.

Comparisons: Troy Terry, David Perron

Alternate picks: Yegor Surin, Nikita Artamonov

26. :habs Montreal Canadiens - C/RW Yegor Surin 6'1" 192lbs

MHL 42GP 22G 30A 52pts

A bit of a late riser here. The Habs I think have set up their top 4 for defense already, so they take back to back forwards. Surin brings offensive skill, but he's also kind of a power forward. Consistency is his biggest concern, but when he's on, he's definitely a force. He's got pretty good size and he can score. Wouldn't say there's a lot of risk to this pick and the upside is pretty good. Could be a 3rd liner or a 2nd liner if all goes well. Will need a few more years before he's NHL ready.

Comparisons: Charlie Coyle, Luke Kunin

Alternate picks: Nikita Artamonov, Sacha Boisvert

27. :canesCarolina Hurricanes - RW Nikita Artamonov - 5'11" 187lbs

KHL 54GP 7G 16A 23pts

Carolina have taken Russians quite a bit and I think this is the type of player they'd really like too. He won't project as a 1st liner, but he's a really high enery, high motor player that has some skill as well. Not the biggest, but no size concern either. Some worry what type of role he would play in the NHL, but I think you're getting a top 9 player here. Had quite a production season in the KHL, so there is evidence to being able to produce against men. Some risk here, but there's possible 2nd line upside here. Will be a few years away from the NHL.

Comparisons: JJ Peterka, Mathieu Joseph

Alternate picks: EJ Emery, Teddy Stiga

28.:flamesCalgary Flames - D Cole Hutson 5'10" 165lbs

NTDP 51GP 15G 36A 51pts

Calgary are a team that kind of need everything and they did take a Forward with #9, so they grab a d-man this time. Cole, brother of Lane, who ended up as a 2nd round pick is already looking like a steal, it's gonna be hard to make the same mistake and pass on his brother in the 1st round too. While Cole isn't as gifted as Lane offensively, he does have pretty high offensive potential still. And his size isn't quite as lacking as Lane and defensively, there may be more there than with Lane. Ultimately, this is a high upside swing. Total boom or bust pick, but you should take that here. Had a solid season in the NTDP and really broke out offensively at the U-18's. Will need to gain strength to handle NHL forwards in the future. A skilled offensive d-man who can help your PP. He's going to be 3-4 years away from the NHL. Might need AHL time too. But it could be worth the wait and Calgary is in a position now that they can wait. A lot of risk, but top 4 upside.

Comparisons: Tyson Barrie, Nils Lundqvist

Alternate picks: EJ Emery, Sacha Boisvert

29. :starsDallas Stars - D EJ Emery 6'3" 183lbs

NTDP 61GP 0G 16A 16pts

On the opposite end, Emery is much more of a defensive d-man. His questions are more how much offense will he have to provide. He's going to need to fill out, but he's got a big frame. He's your ideal type of d-man. Size, skating and can play a shut down role. Dallas have a deep forward core and as good as Heiskanen is, he's going to need more help. He should spend at least a couple of years in the NCAA before he's NHL ready. But his potential size and skating should help the transition go a little faster than others. Very projectable and safe floor and has 2nd pairing upside.

Comparisons: Hampus Lindholm, Vladislav Gavrikov

Alternate picks: Charlie Elick, Teddy Stiga

30. :rangers New York Rangers - C/LW Sacha Boisvert 6'2" 183lbs

USHL 61GP 36G 32A 68pts

A player that seems to be moving up quite a bit on draft boards. Not as big of a fan of him, but I think he's a worthy 1st rounder. NYR have been looking for a while to improve the team up the middle. Boisvert doesn't have 1C upside, but projects pretty well as a middle six Center. He's got a good frame, just needs to continue filling out and getting stronger. Could be a player hard to stop at his prime with his power-skill combo. He's got a pretty good shot and he's a well rounded, two-way Center. He's going to need at least a couple of years in the NCAA before he's NHL ready. Safe floor, 2nd line upside.

Comparisons: Shane Pinto, Joel Eriksson Ek

Alternate picks: Teddy Stiga, Emil Hemming

1719538975902.png
Anaheim Ducks - LW Teddy Stiga
5'10" 178lbs

NTDP 61GP 36G 43A 79pts

The main knock on Stiga is his size, but a player like Logan Stankoven has shown that you can overcome that with hard work. Stiga won't be an elite offensive producer ever, but he's a buzz saw, puck hound type of player that every team needs. He's all energy. Maybe the highest motor in the draft. There's some risk in that he's smaller and he's not necessarily the most skilled player either, but his work ethic makes it hard not to project at least a 3rd line energy player. He could definitely be a 2nd line complementary type of player if all goes well. He will spend at least a couple of years in the NCAA and maybe a year in the AHL before he jumps to the NHL.

Comparisons: Nils Hoglander, Bryan Rust

Alternate picks: Emil Hemming, Luke Misa

32. :flyersPhiladelphia Flyers - RW Emil Hemming 6'1" 205lbs

Liiga 40GP 7G 4A 11pts

With a pretty solid top 4 D-core, I think Philly should continue rounding out their Forward core. Hemming isn't the most skilled player, but he's got size, he can play physically and his shot is quite good. Those things do make him project well enough to be at least a 3rd line forward and he's got 2nd line upside. Playing against men in Liiga already and having NHL size already, he might be closer than others to being NHL ready, but still at least a couple of years away.

Comparisons: Frank Vatrano, Tyson Foerster

Alternate picks: Luke Misa, Cole Beaudoin

Attachments

• ducks logo.jpg
    ducks logo.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad