GDT: Spend Some Time with the Wee Baby Seamus: Your New Jersey Devils (2-0) vs. Toronto Maple Leafs (0-1), 7 PM, MSG

BostonDevil

Jun 28, 2019
You shouldn’t be evaluating every player the same way. You should be evaluating every player compared to their own capabilities. Jack was f***ing pathetic compared to what he can be.
I'm evaluating the player on what he contributes to the team.

Jack is a threat every time he touches the puck.

Jack is a problem. Let's unload him and use that money to load up on Haula's

You sound like the guys in Boston who thought the Bruins won the Joe Thornton trade because Primeau/Sturm/Stuart had more points combined than Thornton the next season.

Last edited:

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Jack will be fine. It's not the first time he's been quiet for a few games before. That line has actually looked better overall than I expected it to, although I still have my doubts about it long term. I still think I'd try Timo with Nico and Tatar, but we'll see how the next few games go.

I do kind of worry about the lack of speed in the bottom 6, especially against quicker teams.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Jack will be fine. It's not the first time he's been quiet for a few games before. That line has actually looked better overall than I expected it to, although I still have my doubts about it long term. I still think I'd try Timo with Nico and Tatar, but we'll see how the next few games go.

I do kind of worry about the lack of speed in the bottom 6, especially against quicker teams.

I’d like an extended look at Palat and Cotter flipped.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
No it didn’t. It looked like a team that wasn’t playing its best game down by two goals to an opponent that doesn’t suck.

This isn’t even the same team. Half the defense core has been upgraded. The bottom six is completely revamped.

There is quite a lot of talent on the roster. The head coach is a proven commodity at least in terms of winning regular season games. We’ve already seen more structure and commitment to defense in these first three games than at any time in Lindy’s tenure. There’s no rational reason to believe this team is going to be like last year’s.

Also, I find your take kind of funny because my recollection is that you were one of the posters who most consistently said that the main thing this team needs is just some competent goaltending.
Average goaltending which they got tonight will win enough games to make the playoffs. Efforts like that in the third down a goal or two won’t get them very far in the playoffs.

• Haha
Reactions: PKs Broken Stick

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
The takes to start this season so far have been friggin unhinged. First it was that meaningless preseason tilts were a sign of the apocalypse. Now it’s baseless comparisons to last year three games in where the only time the team didn’t look fine was on the first game back from Europe against a quality opponent coming off their own opening game loss. A game which they still only lost by a couple of goals despite not playing well.

I don’t ever want to see anyone talk shit to me about being negative ever again.

Average goaltending which they got tonight will win enough games to make the playoffs. Efforts like that in the third down a goal or two won’t get them very far in the playoffs.
My man, teams down by two goals in the third literally lose 95% of the time. I don’t know what your expectation is there but it’s clearly not reasonable.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
I must have watched a different game lol Markstrom was absolutely not God awful. Those first 2 goals were insane bounces.
I think I would ding him on the second goal. He probably should have that one. I know it was a flash screen but I don’t think it hit off of anyone ?

Goal 1/3 were lack of clearing bodies in front of the crease and clearing pucks. Goal 4 was just Tavares walking Mercer to the middle of the hash marks

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
This team has one good season in 10 years and the same dog shit issues it’s had since then popped up today. Spare me. Theyre mentally soft as shit.
Like I said, touch some grass. Maybe listen to a good tune. Learn a new hobby. Whatever it is, you need something else in your life if you’re this strung out about things this early on.

Reactions: Whaddagoal

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
IMG_1402.jpeg

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Game 3 of the season and it feels like we've just been eliminated from the playoffs lmfao.

Is it going to be like this after every single loss? Jeez.

Reactions: NjDevsRR

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
The takes to start this season so far have been friggin unhinged. First it was that meaningless preseason tilts were a sign of the apocalypse. Now it’s baseless comparisons to last year three games in where the only time the team didn’t look fine was on the first game back from Europe against a quality opponent coming off their own opening game loss. A game which they still only lost by a couple of goals despite not playing well.

I don’t ever want to see anyone talk shit to me about being negative ever again.

Sure it’s baseless comparisons to the effort level trailing lol. I mean the coach even called them soft.

No one is writing the season off. I didn’t like the effort in the third you did. We can disagree it’s not being an outrage take.

I will add that’s a long list of excuses

First game back from Europe (5 days ago)
Quality opposition (will have a lot of them this year)
Team coming in off a loss (will see that a lot too)

Killing Joke

Dec 2, 2017
This team hasn’t won more than 2 games in a row in about a year. Had a rookie goalie in net and a team that just played last night and they give them a 3 goal lead in the first period lol. Just truly horrific devils hockey.

Whaddagoal

The Sheldon Keefe Era Begins
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Oh boy....

Sheldon looks pissed off already. 2 and a half minute only press conference, walks off with that pissed off swagger. Started mellow in the conference but left looking as angry as we've seen him so far.

Offense not good enough, defense (whole squad) not nearly as hard enough, bad with the sticks, not hard enough on plays. Lack of offense is bad play in d and neutral zone. - Sheldon.

---

As for my thoughts, Mercer and Dillon had some screwed up play on one of those goals. Puck didn't even need to be in our zone if the two of them in sequence made a better play.

Markstrom looked shaky early but maybe settled in later. From my vantage at least one goal was soft but I'm guessing there was maybe a screen on that one.

Jack didn't look good in sense he looked like Jack trying to do too much. He took the puck on the PP near the end or one before, and tried to force passes to guy in front who was double covered. No idea why. He had time and made a play like that when there was little pressure to force that. Obviously the play killed the PP in the zone. Jack had a few of those brain fart play killers across the game.

We got gifted at least 1 PP, maybe even 2. Did not much with special teams. I guess PK was good. Very good in that shift where it was all ozone pressure.

I liked Dougie shooting but he was not hitting full mark. Missed 1 or 2 decent opportunities to get it through. He kinda was ok defensively but not great either.

Palat, Haula, and Noesen were fairly invisible. That line looks bad right now. They better start showing something, not sure who the problem is, but palat is really invisible but the others aren't good either.

Kovacevic was ok, for caught flat footed on some ozone play. Didn't get a good capture of the 1 goal against, all I remember was Markstorm sideways.

Last edited:

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
This team hasn’t won more than 2 games in a row in about a year. Had a rookie goalie in net and a team that just played last night and they give them a 3 goal lead in the first period lol. Just truly horrific devils hockey.
Why you on here then if you think the same thing will happen with this new roster and coach? Why bother posting the same stuff? I don’t see the point…

We have a vet D core now

We dont have Ruff anymore

Imagine thinking the same shit will happen 3 gms in when we are 2-1, LOL

Enough of this thread for tonight. Goodnight all.

Killing Joke

Dec 2, 2017
Like I said, touch some grass. Maybe listen to a good tune. Learn a new hobby. Whatever it is, you need something else in your life if you’re this strung out about things this early on.
I can simultaneously be doing shit, lounging around all while also shit talking about an underachieving mentally weak hockey team.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Oh boy....

Sheldon looks pissed off already. 2 and a half minute only press conference, walks off with that pissed off swagger. Started mellow in the conference but left looking as angry as we've seen him so far.

Offense not good enough, defense (whole squad) not nearly as hard enough, bad with the sticks, not hard enough on plays. Lack of offense is bad play in d and neutral zone. - Sheldon.

Sheldon said that? Geeze if he posted that on here people would think he’s being dramatic and writing the season off lol.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Well that wasn't good but it's only 1 game and I expected Toronto to come out flying after being shutout last night.

I will say I really don't care for the boos from some of the crowd when the team came in 2-0. We win Saturday and Monday and the team won 4 out of 5. Relax a little people.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Game 3 of the season and it feels like we've just been eliminated from the playoffs lmfao.

Is it going to be like this after every single loss? Jeez.
Absolutely nuts. Last year the team won these early games but the structure looked like complete ass…nothing in these first three games has looked like that, we have upgraded the talent in just about every area of weakness, we’ve brought in a coach who’s proven and whose strengths align with our biggest needs, they won the first two games…yet somehow this is just last year all over again, even though most of this board didn’t even think last years team was that bad if it weren’t for injuries.

Make it make sense.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Oh boy....

Funny how this is pretty much what I said (about the defense)

On offense, someone needs to get it through this team to shoot and shoot high.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad