GDT: Spend Some Time with the Wee Baby Seamus: Your New Jersey Devils (2-0) vs. Toronto Maple Leafs (0-1), 7 PM, MSG

DrBSmooth

May 10, 2006
From my nose bleed seats. Hoping for 3-0.

1000003092.jpg

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
That they did and the sound waves were filled with their amazing stuff. It was unbelievable if you station jumped you could almost listen exclusively to their stuff. The DJs discovered the B sides were often as good and sometimes even better!!!!

That's a piece of musical nostalgia that will never be repeated. I lost a lot of sleep on hot summer nights sweating to death in our little inner city bungalow nestled in between 2 others on a narrow one way street filled with a bunch more of the same. Nothing but heat radiating off the blacktop and black shingled rooftops. It was sweltering. I had my head out of jutted out window of my room (the only window in the house that did it) picking up WBZ in Boston, WLS in Chicago,and WABC in NY. Some great stuff you could pick up clear as day in the late night hours in Rochester, NY.
I was fortunate by the 1970s window units had become commonplace. I vaguely recall we had a Pontiac LeMans in the mid 1970s that was from the late 1960s and it didn't have air conditioning. With respect to the music, I always felt that NYC was a bit subpar on rock music FM radio. There were typically two stations, WNEW and one other main station that was typically 95.7 which went by a couple of different call letters. You could listen to AM stations but they weren't in stereo and they tended to be more "oldies" which back in the late 70s early 80s was Doo-Wop and Elvis which was never my thing. There were a few small stations but they came and went. Lennon did interviews and a couple of guest DJ appearances on WNEW where I think he was friendly with a couple of the guys. I know that Scott Muni was somewhat his buddy and I believe so was Dennis Elsis. I remember when Double Fantasy was coming out and WNEW had the exclusive on the first singles. They hyped them up for a while. I was excited to hear the fist one and while my memory says it was Watching the Wheels it was apparently Starting Over. In either case to my young brain it was underwhelming compared to his earlier songs that I was familiar with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad