Recalled/Assigned: Spencer Martin called up from Chicago

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
How many NHL caliber 3rd goalies do you think there are?
I don't really have time to go look into the details but I think there were plenty of options better than Martin out there and we should've made it a priority, even if it cost draft picks, cap space, whatever. Personally my preference this offseason was to trade Freddie and get a more consistent backup for Kooch, even if he wouldn't peak as high as Freddie. But we didn't do that and now we are relying on an injury prone goalie much more than I'm comfortable with. Hopefully this is short term and he stays healthy after that but I'm not holding my breath.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I don't really have time to go look into the details but I think there were plenty of options better than Martin out there and we should've made it a priority, even if it cost draft picks, cap space, whatever. Personally my preference this offseason was to trade Freddie and get a more consistent backup for Kooch, even if he wouldn't peak as high as Freddie. But we didn't do that and now we are relying on an injury prone goalie much more than I'm comfortable with. Hopefully this is short term and he stays healthy after that but I'm not holding my breath.
Martin is about as good as #3 goalie options get without having to guarantee them NHL starts and keep them on the roster, which we don't want to do for cap reasons.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Small sample, but they also probably liked that they knew how he fit in with the team and system as well. I'm guessing he also knows his role and won't rock the boat too much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad