Speculation: Speculation on the salary cap going forward on the wake of Robertson, Hakanpää, Lorentz, Pacioretty, etc. An elite event in one thread.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
I could see a Kampf trade incoming - or even Jarnkrok. Too much tied up in these bottom 6 players with our current cap allocation.

Seems to be some chatter around Robertson being traded after his signing...

Last edited:
Reactions: Ianturnedbull

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Send Reaves to the AHL, don't sign Hakanpaa, don't sign Pacioretty, play some of the kids, and keep the forwards who are good defensively so we don't need to win 7-5.

Seems pretty simple.

Not sure why we are trying to win the 2015 Stanley Cup

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Assuming we sign Hakanpaa ($1.5M) and Paccioretty ($900K) and that everyone is healthy then we can run 14 forwards, 8 D and 3 goalies and this puts us 2 players over the 23 man roster limit ~$2.9M over the cap.

We waive Murray, Timmins and Reaves (Steeves too) and this gets us down to 13 F, 7 D, and 2 G with $450K in cap space.

I think we are pretty Ok with losing any or all of those three (and Steeves). To me the largest risk here are losing our #3G. No one is selecting Reaves and Timmins is Timmins. It would be nice to keep him as depth, but he is at best our 8th dman.

Now, if we get an injury at camp, we keep Murray or Timmins and we do the dance all year. It feels nice to be have done some TDL shopping in the off-season if we do in fact sign Hawk and Patches.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
I think the Hakanpaa AAV will come in much lower than what was previously reported, due to the injury concerns. I'm guessing $1M AAV potentially

I can see both Pacioretty and Hakanpaa both at 1M AAV.

Timmins will either be traded or waived. Kampf will be traded

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Trade jarnkrok for a 4th in upcoming draft

He is useless, and kills offense for our team. Send him west to a team who wouldnt mind a 4th line PKer. We have Dewar and Holmberg who bring much of what Jarnkrok does. His game fell off a cliff in the reg season last year and not expecting final 2 years of his deal to be productive.

Reeves gets a trip to Robidas island around Feb and thats that for his leaf career

Trade for a 3C at the deadline if the team is doing well

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
Reaves is going no where as long as Tre is GM so give up that dream.

Kampf is going no where as well. Not sure why everyone is trying to get rid of thier best defensive center who wins 60% of his faceoffs. Who are you going to have taking half of the PK faceoffs? Tavares? Marner? Holmberg who is south of 50% on faceoffs?

Hakanpaa if signed goes on LTIR for at least half the season.

If there is a trade its at the end of camp if 2 of 3 of these happen. Patches can actually still play, Cowan wins a spot, Lorenz wins a spot. This would give them 15 forwards so someone would have to go. I am thinking it would be Jarnkok as Cowan or Lorenz would take his spot on the PK while Holmberg provides his position flexability with the same or better defence.

barilko05

People...they're the worst!
Jan 28, 2011
Reaves is going no where as long as Tre is GM so give up that dream.

Kampf is going no where as well. Not sure why everyone is trying to get rid of thier best defensive center who wins 60% of his faceoffs. Who are you going to have taking half of the PK faceoffs? Tavares? Marner? Holmberg who is south of 50% on faceoffs?

Hakanpaa if signed goes on LTIR for at least half the season.

If there is a trade its at the end of camp if 2 of 3 of these happen. Patches can actually still play, Cowan wins a spot, Lorenz wins a spot. This would give them 15 forwards so someone would have to go. I am thinking it would be Jarnkok as Cowan or Lorenz would take his spot on the PK while Holmberg provides his position flexability with the same or better defence.
This is the same reasoning that people had for keeping David Steckel around. Hrp Drp great at faceoffs...and nothing else . Although at least Kampf can skate a little and PK. But lots of guys can do that for way less money. Too much cap for a one-trick pony. Buh-bye!

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
I still think Robertson is the most likely to be traded and replaced with Pacioretty.

If Cowan or Lorentz make the team that would also suggest someone else is on the way out or there is a bigger salary that will be moving.

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
This is the same reasoning that people had for keeping David Steckel around. Hrp Drp great at faceoffs...and nothing else . Although at least Kampf can skate a little and PK. But lots of guys can do that for way less money. Too much cap for a one-trick pony. Buh-bye!
Ok who is the replacement? Not one player on the Leafs can replace what he does now. He only costs 2.4 million. How much do you think his replacement will make? I love knuckle draggers like you who want to get rid of half the team but have zero plan.

He is more than just faceoffs. His is one of the best Leaf forwards at zone exits and keeping posession while exiting the zone. He also plays a heavy game for a center and he does skate well. Radek Faska makes 3,25 million to be basically the same player.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
He is more than just faceoffs. His is one of the best Leaf forwards at zone exits and keeping posession while exiting the zone. He also plays a heavy game for a center and he does skate well. Radek Faska makes 3,25 million to be basically the same player.

Beyond overrating Kampf's abilities pointing at another team's mistake to justify this team's mistake isn't the best way to make your point.

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
Beyond overrating Kampf's abilities pointing at another team's mistake to justify this team's mistake isn't the best way to make your point.
Not overrating his ability at all. Not another team's mistake its the price of these skills at center ice.
Who do you replace him with? Someone has to take 70% of the Dzone starts in the regular season and 90% of them in the playoffs. They do this for less than 2.4 million. Look at how much Tampa paid thier 4th line center when they won two cups or Vegas. You don't go deep into the playoffs without guys in the bottom 6 who are able to play quality defence in thier own zone.

Reactions: weems

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Not overrating his ability at all. Not another team's mistake its the price of these skills at center ice.
Who do you replace him with? Someone has to take 70% of the Dzone starts in the regular season and 90% of them in the playoffs. They do this for less than 2.4 million. Look at how much Tampa paid thier 4th line center when they won two cups or Vegas. You don't go deep into the playoffs without guys in the bottom 6 who are able to play quality defence in thier own zone.

Yeah guys like that are a dime a dozen and easily replaceable.

When Treliving signed Kampf it was deemed questionable at the time. Hindsight hasn't improved the optics in any way. You can pump his tires all you want since you seem to think he's so indispensible for a cup contending team.

It doesn't change the fact he's a fourth line chump.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Option 1.... Timothy Liljegren and either David Kampf, Calle Jarnkrok or Nick Robertson are being traded for a #3 centre that makes somewhere in the ballpark of $3m. That being said, having a deal like that "stashed" seems like extreme galaxy braining to put all of those pieces together.... and if you had a deal in place, why not just do it so that you can actually have training camp with your guys.

The far more likely scenario in my head.... one, maybe both of these are going to happen.
1. Calle Jarnkrok is starting the year on LTIR
2. Matthew Knies is going to get "the Robertson treatment", and fall victim to being waiver exempt to start the year.

The Leafs lines will be:
Nylander-Matthews-Domi
Robertson-Tavares-Marner
Pacioretty-Minten-Knies/Jarnkrok
Holmberg-Kampf-Cowan
Reaves-Dewar as extras

Rielly-Tanev
McCabe-Liljegren
OEL-Hakanpaa
Benoit

It also would not suprise me to see them try to sneak Reaves through waivers as they did last year, and try to hang onto Connor Timmins or Stephen Lorentz.

He would presumably clear, they don't need to make him report, and now they've made space for the 2 young guys in the lineup, along with having injury backups.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad