Jeff Marek no longer with Sportsnet - Unknown why

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Steve Dangle is actually pretty good, if you actually listen to him outside of his Leafs rants where he goes into character. And it's obvious that you don't.

"Leafs homer", well yeah. He literally got famous for being a ranting Leafs fan.
I've seen his takes while not in character, it's not that ground breaking. He doesn't have anything interesting to say and just sort of repeats others thoughts in his own way like he's saying something new, which he isn't.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
A 30 second interview with an overwhelmed 18 year old isn't where anybody shines.

He's much better as a podcast and radio host.
Those interviews are always awful as well - "How do you feel about being drafted by _______" and "tell me something about yourself that we haven't mentioned to death already with scouting reports so we can make this as super awkward and boring as we can."

"Tell me, if you could eat any cheese for the rest of your life, which cheese would it be?" - Like that level of absurdity.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Career wise, he's 55 and departing from one of the big 2 networks, what are his options? Is he that major a name that TSN would pick him up given the people they already have? Doubt it.

Would anyone consider him a needle mover? Probably not.

See where he ends up landing.

TSN would hire him for a radio slot in Toronto for sure. He used to host Leafs Lunch when it was on AM640 twenty years ago before it even went to TSN.

That show has been rudderless for years after they moved Hayes ONeill and McLennan to a different timeslot/show.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
In all likelihood when he's finally able to say what the reason is and we all keep speculating - my bet would be that he was likely being courted by another network to bolster their hockey coverage and Sportsnet just decided to cut ties with him instead of paying up to keep him and Marek isn't allowed to speak about it until his contract is officially done or whatever it is. Rogers is cheap af and has been slowly making their network worse each year.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It seems this was a triggered event, but the writing was on the wall when they took him off Saturday nights.

They were supposed to do a season ending 32 Thoughts pod after free agency, now we know why we didn’t get it.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
In all likelihood when he's finally able to say what the reason is and we all keep speculating - my bet would be that he was likely being courted by another network to bolster their hockey coverage and Sportsnet just decided to cut ties with him instead of paying up to keep him and Marek isn't allowed to speak about it until his contract is officially done or whatever it is. Rogers is cheap af and has been slowly making their network worse each year.
Possibly, but unconfirmed draft reasons, make it sound like something else

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Career wise, he's 55 and departing from one of the big 2 networks, what are his options? Is he that major a name that TSN would pick him up given the people they already have? Doubt it.

Would anyone consider him a needle mover? Probably not.

See where he ends up landing.

My guess is he can go back to working with Greg Wyshynski, but I don’t know how good of a fit he is with ESPN given his depth of knowledge outside the NHL.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Not everyone likes to broadcast their unemployment. And if he was informed after the draft broadcast was done that Friday night (and he likely wouldn’t be informed prior to the broadcast) why stick around and do essentially free work for a final broadcast. I would hop on a red eye to get back to my family too.

Contracts probably go through June 30, so the draft Friday June 28 was likely his last assignment under it.
I'm sure he was informed on a Friday night in Vegas right after the 1st round with everyone in a festive mood that he was being terminated. Come on now.

H3ckt1k

Jan 9, 2015
Pierre "No personal space" McGuire, what every lad dreams of when being drafted, a creepy old wanker sitting right up against you asking about the thickness of your legs while his hot coffee breath hits you in waves.
Pierre definitely stole your girl

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Elliotte needs to be more transparent.

He's said absolutely nothing and left everyone in the dark over why his popular podcast stopped.

He's going to continue it with someone else most likely, but he should've released a statement like a few days later saying "Jeff has left the podcast, we are working on figuring out what comes next, please stay tuned" or something, and everyone would've taken it in stride.

The mystery and acting as if everyone should ignore the obvious abnormality that they literally stopped the podcast for no apparent reason with no explanation is weird.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Pierre "No personal space" McGuire, what every lad dreams of when being drafted, a creepy old wanker sitting right up against you asking about the thickness of your legs while his hot coffee breath hits you in waves.

Now now, Pierre must’ve drank 3 cups of coffee before shouting ‘it’s a double Dion!!’

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
Steve Dangle is actually pretty good, if you actually listen to him outside of his Leafs rants where he goes into character. And it's obvious that you don't.

"Leafs homer", well yeah. He literally got famous for being a ranting Leafs fan.
No he's not. Him and mutual admiration club are everything that is wrong with hockey media. The worst thing that can happen if you're listening to a hockey podcast is if anyone name drops someone from Steve D*ngle's podcast thinking that everyone knows who the hell that is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

digmor crusher

Jul 11, 2009
Just another Leaf cheerleader gone, not a big loss, besides, I've never watched a podcast in my life and never intend to do so.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
No he's not. Him and mutual admiration club are everything that is wrong with hockey media. The worst thing that can happen if you're listening to a hockey podcast is if anyone name drops someone from Steve D*ngle's podcast thinking that everyone knows who the hell that is.

I think years have caught up to Dangle, guy looks stressed and tired. He needs to focus on his health.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Elliotte needs to be more transparent.

He's said absolutely nothing and left everyone in the dark over why his popular podcast stopped.

He's going to continue it with someone else most likely, but he should've released a statement like a few days later saying "Jeff has left the podcast, we are working on figuring out what comes next, please stay tuned" or something, and everyone would've taken it in stride.

The mystery and acting as if everyone should ignore the obvious abnormality that they literally stopped the podcast for no apparent reason with no explanation is weird.
Knowing whatever we know of Elliotte, he will wait for Jeff to say his peace.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad