Jeff Marek no longer with Sportsnet - Unknown why

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Sounds more like he was fired than he quit.
when you are on one of the big 2 sports networks, probably unlikely to quit. So, I would lean towards him being fired.

He would be on contract, so unless they have cause, they just pay him out and move on.

Probably ends up doing his own thing.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Very surprising news. I have a hard time imagining him being insubordinate.

I wonder if he got poached. I heard rumours that Amazon was aggressively pursuing talent from other networks.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Him and Friedman were a good duo for 32 Thoughts. Granted I listened for Friedman and just tolerated Marek but he seems like a good guy. Have to imagine if he does get let go he'll be picked up rather quickly elsewhere.

Reactions: gab6511 and Laus723

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I was going to post a thread asking about the 32 Thoughts Podcast and what happened.

I’m not too surprised. Elliotte was the star of it, so they’ll find a replacement for Jeff, but of course he will be a loss.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Did the deleted tweet seem to indicate that there was a falling out between the two guys? Because that seems to be what randos on twitter are saying. Edit: Doesn't sound like it.

I find this very odd. SN has so much fat they could trim but they go after 32T and TJMP?

Makes no sense.

Last edited:

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Did the deleted tweet seem to indicate that there was a falling out between the two guys? Because that seems to be what randos on twitter are saying.

I find this very odd. SN has so much fat they could trim but they go after 32T and TJMP?

Makes no sense.
Just reworded it

Reactions: Canadienna

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
Very surprising news. I have a hard time imagining him being insubordinate.

I wonder if he got poached. I heard rumours that Amazon was aggressively pursuing talent from other networks.

I hadn't thought of this, but the timing of this rumor is interesting given that the US courts just held up the ban on non competes. I'm not sure how that all works given its Canada / US though

Reactions: Five Alarm Fire

Tie Domi Esquire

Go Real Sports Apparel Go!
Oct 18, 2010
Very milque-toast and boring, I'm surprised Sportsnet would let him go. Maybe he said something dumb like when he wanted the Conn Smythe trophy renamed because of racism, but not the Stanley Cup.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Definitely smells a bit fishy, I have a hard time believing Marek would give that up voluntarily.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
I hadn't thought of this, but the timing of this rumor is interesting given that the US courts just held up the ban on non competes. I'm not sure how that all works given its Canada / US though.

To clarify, all I’ve heard is stories of them pursuing talent at Canadian networks. Can’t get any more specific than that.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
If I were to place a bet on this, I think it has more to do with Rogers trying to trim as much fat as possible as they wind down the remaining 2 years on their TV deal, than it is about Marek voluntarily leaving. He had too good a thing going to give it up.

For me, Marek is just there. When he was suggested to be the HNiC host, I just couldn't see it. He's nothing special. But for the bits he does and the podcast with Friedman, he found his role.

All in all, SportsNet is worse off today without him than they were with him.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
It’s a weirdly worded tweet that makes it seem like there was an incident at the draft when it could just be him being informed his contract wasn’t going to be renewed (the draft being his last assignment) and he high tailed it out of there afterward.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
All good as long as they replace him with Pierre Mcguire
Pierre "No personal space" McGuire, what every lad dreams of when being drafted, a creepy old wanker sitting right up against you asking about the thickness of your legs while his hot coffee breath hits you in waves.

Last edited by a moderator:

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
It’s a weirdly worded tweet that makes it seem like there was an incident at the draft when it could just be him being informed his contract wasn’t going to be renewed (the draft being his last assignment) and he high tailed it out of there afterward.
Ya it’s odd, but why has he gone silent, or never seen on the podcast again.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Ya it’s odd, but why has he gone silent, or never seen on the podcast again.
Not everyone likes to broadcast their unemployment. And if he was informed after the draft broadcast was done that Friday night (and he likely wouldn’t be informed prior to the broadcast) why stick around and do essentially free work for a final broadcast. I would hop on a red eye to get back to my family too.

Contracts probably go through June 30, so the draft Friday June 28 was likely his last assignment under it.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
unconfirmed draft reasons
What?

He's not my favourite hockey personality but he's a good host who keeps things moving and keeps things light. Has a ton of knowledge definitely.

Reactions: Doubledose
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad