Special Teams Performance

Fortyfives

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2011
Let's start a discussion on special teams.

With less than 20 games to go the special teams sit in the following ranking:

Power Play: Rank 1st - 24.1% - Trending up
Penalty Kill: Rank 22nd - 79.7% - Trending down

The penalty kill has been a disaster as of late with the exception of the last Detroit game. It is extremely passive not challenging on entry and the box seems to get closer and closer to Crawford per game. I liked what I saw in the Detroit game as they seemed to challenge the point and lose pucks with more regularity.

On the other hand the power play is on fire. AA, Panarin and Kane continue their success on the not only in five on five, but the when they have the man advantage. I saw an interesting analysis on twitter about the power play goals per shot in the league. They basically break the chart with so many goals with so few shots. Are they getting lucky or are they passing up on quantity vs quality shots?

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
It would really help our penalty kill if we could win a face off in our zone once in a while.

stefa

Jul 10, 2013
Pk is allmost the only thing that I'm little worried. Even it's nice to have a solid pp it's defence that wins championships. I ain't no coach so I'll just say this : fix the pk allready!

Edit : better solution stop taking penalties.

Joemoe

Aug 3, 2015
Having Hossa and Kruger out has really hurt our PK, once they comeback I feel it will be a lot better. I do hope Kruger gets a couple regular season games in before playoffs start to get the rust off especially for face offs.

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
Anismov takes the opening faceoff on alot of PK's/PP's which can be kinda frustrating. In the playoffs, I dont think anyone else besides Kruger/Toews should ever take the opening draw on the PK. Just like I dont think Anismov should be taking the opening draw on the PP. Establishing possession to start a PP/PK is pretty critical. Generally when we start a PP with a clean faceoff win it leads to at the very least some good looks. When we lose that draw we seem to always be chasing/trying to gain entry and we're a lot less likely to get something done. I've said it before but going in to the playoffs Toews needs to be back on that #1 PP unit with Kane instead of AA.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I'm pretty sure the slope was directing the way it is before Hossa injury, but it seems to have spiked in that way too. I wonder if the smarter move would actually be to of course play him on the PK but not really insert him into the PP and keep the Toews line with Shaw & Ladd at the wings and TT & Erhoff/Gus. Keep him fresher and with less icetime to play more defensive may help out overall.

EmeticDonut

Oct 7, 2006
It seems the Hawks are an either or team when it comes to special teams. Either the PP is good and the PK bad or vice versa. Can't remember when both special teams were similarly ranked. (I am sure someone will correct me, if I am wrong). I always preferred that the PK be the better of the two if I had to choose.

pmm23

Jan 17, 2016
I also notice a lot of soft clears on the PK. I think a lot of that is because we try for an "organized"clear in order to keep possession in the middle of the ice and skate the puck out, which is great when it works, but Kruger is the only one besides Keith perhaps that can make the no-look backhand pass up the middle. Other than that I think the risk-reward balance is too low to try center ice passes and breakouts as much as we do, but I could be off on my observations.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
As for the PP:
Q needs to get Shaw off of it. The more talented players: Ladd, AA and Toews can take care of the net presence quite handily. I was not happy to see both 65/16 on the same PP unit in the last game.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
I have no qualms with the PP - the performance has been phenomenal.

Yes, 65 should not be on there, but we are sort of splitting hairs when it is #1 in the NHL. Keep in mind, no Hossa either.

The PK is a MASSIVE concern. That, and the D, could be the reason the Hawks DON'T repeat. Remember, the playoffs are the slimmest of margins.

Hawks beat Nash 4-2 and barely had any leads in that whole series. Hawks beat TB 4-2 and no team had a 2 goal lead until 5 minutes left in the 3rd period of Game 6.

Translation - PK WILL matter. It will matter big.

I remember seeing a piece - which is more important in the playoffs - SCORING on a PP, or KILLING on a PK? In looking at the stats, I believe it was significantly in favor of killing.

Looked at the stats from last year's playoffs. MN had the highest PP at 30%, but that was a small sample of games.

Tampa was 82% for PK and 20% for PP in 26 games.

Hawks were 79% for PK and 18% for PP in 23 games.

Keep in mind that the Hawks were effectively playing with 4 D men. This year, they are playing with 3.

So, yes, the trend is VERY, VERY concerning. That said, fortunes should change when Kruger and Hoss are back. Although Kruger's FO percentage is down 5 points his season.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
Forgot to mention - the major concern on the PP start with face offs.

Seems that EVERY d zone face off is won by someone else besides the team wearing the Indian Head.

Of particular note, 15 has been abysmal. 24 was terrible before his departure and that didn't help.

As much as I love 15, he REALLY has work on the part of his game. I saw a stat that he was 17% in one game. Kinda sure that ain't gonna get it done.

It's at the point now where I EXPECT the Hawks to score a PP goal and EXPECT them to give up one each game.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I agree with your concern.

I think MK will really help for 2 reasons:

(1) The simple fact that he will be out there. He is solid on draws and a great PKer.

(2) Pairings balance. With MK back we can run the following pairings.

Pairing 1: 19/81 - 19 can handle the draws
Pairing 2: 22/15 - 2 Centers with MK handling draws first and AA taking the rest if MK is kicked.
Pairing 3: 86/11/12 - 86 with whomever is the most fresh 11/12. Desi can also take draws.

Faceoffs are an issue but I don't think they are as big as you do (different weights in importance which happens). The new rule changes have impacted faceoffs so what we are seeing now is new norm. 2-5% reduction in defensive zone defending center win %.

JT is a top guy.
AA is and needs to continue working on draws but their line is so good that the impact is minimal.
TT is improving with each draw.
MK is fine once he is back.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
As for the PP:
Q needs to get Shaw off of it. The more talented players: Ladd, AA and Toews can take care of the net presence quite handily. I was not happy to see both 65/16 on the same PP unit in the last game.

AA is on the 1st unit, and with Hossa out, I'd rather have Ladd in his place than any other forward. I don't want to see Toews standing in front of the net unless he is on the 1st unit, he is better utilized setting guys up if on the 2nd unit.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I agree with your concern.

I think MK will really help for 2 reasons:

(1) The simple fact that he will be out there. He is solid on draws and a great PKer.

(2) Pairings balance. With MK back we can run the following pairings.

Pairing 1: 19/81 - 19 can handle the draws
Pairing 2: 22/15 - 2 Centers with MK handling draws first and AA taking the rest if MK is kicked.
Pairing 3: 86/11/12 - 86 with whomever is the most fresh 11/12. Desi can also take draws.

Faceoffs are an issue but I don't think they are as big as you do (different weights in importance which happens). The new rule changes have impacted faceoffs so what we are seeing now is new norm. 2-5% reduction in defensive zone defending center win %.

JT is a top guy.
AA is and needs to continue working on draws but their line is so good that the impact is minimal.
TT is improving with each draw.
MK is fine once he is back.

Do you really think it can be assumed that Kruger will not struggle to keep up after such a long layoff? Not to mention that he is coming off of wrist surgery. Hopefully he will be back in March to get into some semblance of playoff game shape, but expectations of him returning to form quickly at the dot and otherwise may not be realistic.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I agree Bobby, I don't expect him to be great on faceoffs in the 1st couple of rounds. But his ability on the PK is much more than faceoffs, so just having him out there will be a help.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
AA is on the 1st unit, and with Hossa out, I'd rather have Ladd in his place than any other forward. I don't want to see Toews standing in front of the net unless he is on the 1st unit, he is better utilized setting guys up if on the 2nd unit.

The Kane unit will remain the same.

88-15-72-2-7

I think the second unit will be: 81-19-16-86-52(32/55) with 16 in front and 19 operating in the slot.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Do you really think it can be assumed that Kruger will not struggle to keep up after such a long layoff? Not to mention that he is coming off of wrist surgery. Hopefully he will be back in March to get into some semblance of playoff game shape, but expectations of him returning to form quickly at the dot and otherwise may not be realistic.

I think there will be some rust but I think it will be similar to Kane last year (rust patches in round 1 then fire for the rest). Physically he should still be fit from a cardio standpoint.

I think he was hurt before the wrist injury so I think he will be fine but like I said he will have rust.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
The Kane unit will remain the same.

88-15-72-2-7

I think the second unit will be: 81-19-16-86-52(32/55) with 16 in front and 19 operating in the slot.

I agree. But sometimes you see Toews out with the 1st unit if we are really desperate. That's what I was referring to.

EricRealm

Oct 22, 2013
If you look at our special teams percentages over the last 20 games you can't tell which one is which

zac

Apr 29, 2009
That's all it comes down to. No need for us to overthink this.

No it doesn't. The PK was largely trash after the great start last year. We were 90-91% for half the season, then fell to midpack by it's end. We were at about a 75% clip for the last half of the season. Hossa and Kruger were obviously healthy for that.

We really only have 2 defenseman that are any good at PKing, Toews is the only centerman that can consistently win draws, and we are still overly reliant on shot-blocking. Positionally, as a synergistic unit we are a ****ing mess and that gets compounded when Anisimov goes into cavalier mode.

We've had philophical issues on the PK for years now. Getting two players back won't cure that (it will help but only marginally...unless Kruger regains his FO prowess from last year).

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
No it doesn't. The PK was largely trash after the great start last year. We were 90-91% for half the season, then fell to midpack by it's end. We were at about a 75% clip for the last half of the season. Hossa and Kruger were obviously healthy for that.

We really only have 2 defenseman that are any good at PKing, Toews is the only centerman that can consistently win draws, and we are still overly reliant on shot-blocking. Positionally, as a synergistic unit we are a ****ing mess and that gets compounded when Anisimov goes into cavalier mode.

We've had philophical issues on the PK for years now. Getting two players back won't cure that (it will help but only marginally...unless Kruger regains his FO prowess from last year).

It is an aggressiveness issue so the "fix" is simple. We need to force the PP into situations and not let the work the puck till they get what they want. We need to get back to high pressure on the points/wings and let teams make mistakes like they were.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can

It is an aggressiveness issue so the "fix" is simple. We need to force the PP into situations and not let the work the puck till they get what they want. We need to get back to high pressure on the points/wings and let teams make mistakes like they were.

The combo of Toews/Hossa are the best Hawk PKers at pressuring ops into rushing their play. When Hossa returns that will help but Kruger is the epitome of passive.

However the PK issues are far deeper than that. I largely agree with Zac especially on the positional play. We saw two perfect examples last night on both of Blues' goals. Backes and Brouwer were both left wide open in front of Crawford, resulting in two rather easy goals with the man advantage. If standing around looking for rebounds (and not at the very least tying up the ops stick) is what Q calls a system, that philosophy needs to be revamped.... but I've been preaching that for a while.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I see Q insists on having Shaw on the PP despite all the talent on this team. With Ladd here and Hossa close to returning, hopefully that will change.

On a positive, Ehrhoff looks pretty good on the PP - the team had some good possession and looks last night. I'd like to see less of the fancy stuff and more shots to the net though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad