Proposal: Soucy to Edmonton

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
So you are saying Bear, Klefbom and Jones are not NHL worthy ? These are not players that haven’t made the a name for themselves.
And yeah the Oilers didn’t have depth enough to trade away these players without upgrades and yes Ceci and Keith are upgrades on Jones and Bear

Now I’m curious of the bad picks Holland has made?
Reading comprehension. They are not indispensable. Holland obviously didn't think too highly of them if he made the moves he did. And given what they got traded for, they weren't valued very highly around the league. Soucy is better than Ceci and Keith, especially at his cap hit. To say that Samorukov is not worth giving up for Soucy is asinine.

Cholowski looks like a bad pick and/or Holland screwed up his development.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
It makes zero sense for us.

Soucy is 27 and has 1.5 years left before UFA, and he's nothing more than a 4/5.
I think it makes some sense. Yamamoto is struggling and a change of scenery could be a good idea. Trading him for Soucy let's Edmonton slide Soucy into the 2LD spot and bump Keith to 3LD, which would help. It opens up an issue at 2RW for Edmonton and a spot at LD for Seattle, so perhaps including Appleton and Koekoek could also make some sense. Edmonton likely has to add a 3rd piece as Koekoek has the lowest value of the 4 to me.

IIxGURUxII

Jul 19, 2018
I would do

Soucy and Appleton
for
Yamo, 2nd and Tullio... cap would need to go back nothing big .. give you a 3rd if you take Kassian

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
I think it makes some sense. Yamamoto is struggling and a change of scenery could be a good idea. Trading him for Soucy let's Edmonton slide Soucy into the 2LD spot and bump Keith to 3LD, which would help. It opens up an issue at 2RW for Edmonton and a spot at LD for Seattle, so perhaps including Appleton and Koekoek could also make some sense. Edmonton likely has to add a 3rd piece as Koekoek has the lowest value of the 4 to me.
I think a guy like Soucy makes nothing but sense for this team. Solid depth, can play a top four role, can actually defend, brings size and physicality, is on a cheap contract for this season and next which should be two playoff runs, and is in his physical prime as an athlete.

If that makes no sense for this team I don't know what does make sense.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Soucy, Zub and Chychrun are the three defensemen I'd like the Oilers to acquire.

The guys to move out are Keith, Barrie and Koekoek. Ceci as well if we can get another RHD. Holland needs to remake the D and the bottom six.

Drewcifer

Oct 10, 2006
Minneapolis
I really miss having Soucy on the Wild. He is an elite third pairing defenseman and a serviceable second pairing one. He has a fairly physical game. Given that Edmonton is awful defensively he would almost certainly be an upgrade in any of those roles.

Last edited:
Reactions: MNRube

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest

Seattle has 8 NHL D, and only two of them are RHD.

They have

Giordano
Dunn
Oleksiak
Lauzon
Soucy
Fleury

all on the left side.

I think people in this thread just read the stats that have Soucy list only as LD, when in reality he played a lot of time in Minnesota's top four on the right side.

He has played more than 90% of his time in Seattle on the right.

Seattle has Dunn and Oleksiak strictly playing on the left. Lauzon and Gio switch from right to left the most, depending on who is out of the lineup each game.

But just because they have 8D, doesn't necessarily mean they want to trade Soucy at a discount. He is a mobile 6'5" defenseman that is solid defensively, adequate on the break-out, has a good shot from the point and activates from the blueline responsibly. While not a guy that is going to anchor a second pair as either a PP QB or as a shut-down defender, he is a good complimentary defenseman in the 4 slot, or a very reliable third pairing guy that can play both sides and is very flexible with whomever you play him with.

To give him up, Seattle would be looking for an upgrade at forward. I don't think Francis would have much interest in Slater Koekkoek as part of the return for moving Soucy.

Last edited:

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Seattle has 8 NHL D, and only two of them are RHD.

They have

Giordano
Dunn
Oleksiak
Lauzon
Soucy
Fleury

all on the left side.

I think people in this thread just read the stats that have Soucy list only as LD, when in reality he played a lot of time in Minnesota's top four on the right side.

He has played more than 90% of his time in Seattle on the right.

Seattle has Dunn and Oleksiak strictly playing on the left. Lauzon and Gio switch from right to left the most, depending on who is out of the lineup each game.

But just because they have 8D, doesn't necessarily mean they want to trade Soucy at a discount. He is a mobile 6'5" defenseman that is solid defensively, adequate on the break-out, has a good shot from the point and activates from the blueline responsibly. While not a guy that is going to anchor a second pair as either a PP QB or as a shut-down defender, he is a good complimentary defenseman in the 4 slot, or a very reliable third pairing guy that can play both sides and is very flexible with whomever you play him with.

To give him up, Seattle would be looking for an upgrade at forward. I don't think Francis would have much interest in Slater Koekkoek as part of the return for moving Soucy.
It's quite possible then that Koekoek doesn't have interest, but let's remember that Girodano is probably done sooner than later via trade, and Fleury just...is disappointing. That means if Soucy were traded, that leaves only 3LD who are any good and around for more than a few more weeks (or months). We could certainly entertain a piece other than Koekoek though.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
It's quite possible then that Koekoek doesn't have interest, but let's remember that Girodano is probably done sooner than later via trade, and Fleury just...is disappointing. That means if Soucy were traded, that leaves only 3LD who are any good and around for more than a few more weeks (or months). We could certainly entertain a piece other than Koekoek though.
Haydn Fleury still has upside and has played some strong games, he and Borgen have just been victims of the numbers situation in Seattle, and I honestly believe he would be ahead of Koekkoek on the depth chart here.

As for the offer, I just don't see where the incentive is for Seattle to make a trade like that.

Yamamoto is a bit younger than Appleton, but Appleton is still an upcoming RFA, and he has size, which Seattle desperately needs to add more of to their forward group... While I've never actually looked it up, but it would not surprise me if Seattle has the smallest group of forwards in the league. And yes, I know Yamamoto plays bigger than his stature, but he still can't really throw his weight around the way a guy like Appleton can.

And really, how much of an upgrade is Yamamoto over Appleton if Yamamoto were playing with guys like Wennberg and Johansson in Seattle. That is more than likely going to cut the production of a guy that has played regularly with either Draisaitl or McDavid - and at the same time, the drop off from Soucy to Koekkoek would be substantial imo.

Not sure Seattle and Edmonton make good trading partners, as Edmonton doesn't really have much in the way of extra pieces that check any of the boxes of what Seattle is looking for, which are available creative playmaking forwards, available forward prospects with top 6 potential, or available draft picks. Seeing as Edmonton doesn't have a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th available, and they aren't going to move their 1st for anything Seattle has to offer, the options are limited.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
This is the type of D that the Ducks could use, if they decide to try and shore up their lineup for a playoff push. He'd bring balance to the third pair and provide great insurance behind Lindholm and Fowler.

Lindholm - Drysdale
Fowler - Manson
Soucy - Shattenkirk

If the price is around a 2nd as mentioned previously, I'd have no problem with that. Reasonable price to get two runs out of a steady Dman.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Every team in the league could use him. He can play both sides, is 6’5” and he is comfortable playing on the bottom pair. He’s not a perfect player but there is a reason every MN fan was hoping Seattle would take Kahkonen instead. Soucy is an extremely useful player

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Well, I know that they brought in a washed up Duncan Keith and scrubs like Ceci and Koekkoek this off-season. If the Oilers had young defensemen that they thought were close to ready for the NHL, they wouldn't have signed all those guys to multi-year deals.

I can also rattle off about 4 young D-men that Oilers fans on this board acted like were indispensable who ended up not panning out

Ceci has been really good and was reportedly very good for Pittsburgh last year. I guess he is only a scrub on crappy teams. The Oilers under Holland are not rushing prospects like they did in the past so Keith while overpaid is filling a place for a couple years. Same with KK. 2 of the Oilers D prospects could be playing full time now but are being kept in the minors for development. Both have seen time in the Nhl due to covid but likely wont be staying.

Overrateprospects

Dec 23, 2021
I really miss having Soucy on the Wild. He is an elite third pairing defenseman and a serviceable second pairing one. He has a fairly physical game. Given that Edmonton is awful defensively he would almost certainly be an upgrade in any of those roles.
Wish Rangers traded for him but they wanted Nemeth instead because his Dman partner is Swedish. He would’ve been perfect fit for the reasons you mentioned. He could’ve been paired with Fox,Jones,Nils or Miller as he can play the offside

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad