Proposal: Soucy to Edmonton

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Wondering what it would take.

Samorukov + picks?

Roster players?

I know his stock has really risen, so I'm not sure what to propose. Sorry if this was done recently.

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016

Samorukov + picks?

Roster players?

I know his stock has really risen, so I'm not sure what to propose. Sorry if this was done recently.
Soury would be a good replacement once players like Keith and Russell clear off Edmonton’s books, but the question is would Edmonton want to give up Samorukov plus a pick or two considering they have Nurse, Broberg and Niemelainen on the left side.

Then again Edmonton is kind of shallow on the LD once Keith and Russell move on so acquiring Soucy might be beneficial to Edmonton’s blueline for big defensive defenseman type of purposes.

Could be beneficial to Seattle as well since they need players on ELC’s and picks to build up their depth for which they have little no none, while also gaining even more cap space to become a player in the free agent market once again this offseason.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg

Samorukov + picks?

Roster players?

I think I saw a proposal of Yamamoto for Soucy that made some sense.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
I really like him, and he'd push Keith down a spot, but this was the move you make before you pick up Keith for 2 years not after. At some point you have to give the kids a shot.

I think a better move would be moving Barrie and finding a replacement RHD that complements the rest of the top 4/6 better.

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
I'd do it just for the joy of hearing a Soucy-Ceci pairing.

But I think Soucy would be a great pickup, and Yamamoto makes a lot of sense for both sides.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
I think I saw a proposal of Yamamoto for Soucy that made some sense.

I'd do it just for the joy of hearing a Soucy-Ceci pairing.

But I think Soucy would be a great pickup, and Yamamoto makes a lot of sense for both sides.

It makes zero sense for us.

Soucy is 27 and has 1.5 years left before UFA, and he's nothing more than a 4/5.

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014

Soucy is 27 and has 1.5 years left before UFA, and he's nothing more than a 4/5.
We have a glut of long-term cost-controlled defense options in the pipeline, so I'm not too concerned about his age (and come on, he's only 27), and I think he could be resigned quite easily. The main thing is that his game is something that we don't really have outside of Niemelainen, and I think it's a skillset that will come in handy in the playoffs. Yamamoto's primary skill of taking bad penalties in the offensive zone is something that might not be as helpful in the playoffs.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg

He's relatively cheap and he fills a hole we need filled. We have other players to try in our top 6 that might actually get points. I like Yamo, but a solid defenseman watching Barrie's back right now is worth more than what Yamo is bringing. That 1.5 years would be better described as 2 of the 4 playoff runs we have left with Mcdrai at these dollars and that is what is important. We have seen Broberg already this year and he needs about 1.5 more seasons in the AHL, so the timelines are good.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
But a long term downgrade Imo. Oilers have lots of talent coming up
We hope that talent makes it. I'd like to trade some of it for proven talent now. Soucy would be good for two playoff runs and would be an immediate upgrade on defense for that time while on a good deal bringing a much needed physical element too.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
We hope that talent makes it. I'd like to trade some of it for proven talent now. Soucy would be good for two playoff runs.

I would be ok with that too, but it would have to be for someone that moves the needle more than Soucy

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
How many times has this been said over the past decade?
For Oilers it has been a good thing considering they have won nothing recently. Drai+1st for Subban? Puljujarvi for 3rd or comparable..

Soucy is no Griffin Reinhart but it's always better to hang onto your Brobergs and Bouchards over greener bottom 4 players elsewhere.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
How many times has this been said over the past decade?

It has literally never been said. If this is your thought on the Oilers you obviously know less than nothing about the Oilers history the last 20 or so years. All the Oilers talent has been in the Nhl for most of the decade of darkness. It has been said that we have talent but it was all young and in the Nhl.
Now is the first time in many many years that we actually have players that are good enough to be playing in the Nhl that are NOT in the Nhl. Im not pissing that away for a mediocre dman.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
It has literally never been said. If this is your thought on the Oilers you obviously know less than nothing about the Oilers history the last 20 or so years. All the Oilers talent has been in the Nhl for most of the decade of darkness. It has been said that we have talent but it was all young and in the Nhl.
Now is the first time in many many years that we actually have players that are good enough to be playing in the Nhl that are NOT in the Nhl. Im not pissing that away for a mediocre dman.
Well, I know that they brought in a washed up Duncan Keith and scrubs like Ceci and Koekkoek this off-season. If the Oilers had young defensemen that they thought were close to ready for the NHL, they wouldn't have signed all those guys to multi-year deals.

I can also rattle off about 4 young D-men that Oilers fans on this board acted like were indispensable who ended up not panning out

spaghtti

Oct 13, 2013
Well, I know that they brought in a washed up Duncan Keith and scrubs like Ceci and Koekkoek this off-season. If the Oilers had young defensemen that they thought were close to ready for the NHL, they wouldn't have signed all those guys to multi-year deals.

I can also rattle off about 4 young D-men that Oilers fans on this board acted like were indispensable who ended up not panning out
Really curious who these about 4 young indispensable d-men are, I’m guessing if they were indispensable to the Oilers it’s because of poor depth not because they were highly touted

we also now have a GM that doesn’t want to rush prospects but rather have them hon their craft in the Ahl

Last edited:

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016

Ceci has been so far from a scrub. Even Keith has been decent for what he is.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
Really curious who these about 4 young indispensable d-men are, I’m guessing if they were indispensable to the Oilers it’s because of poor depth not because they were highly touted

we also now have a GM that doesn’t want to rush prospects but rather have them hon their craft in the Ahl
Ethan Bear, Caleb Jones, Klefbom. Off the top of my head.

I'm not saying they're not in a better spot. I'm not saying they should make a trade. I'm saying that Oilers fans seem to get a bit optimistic about their D prospects while the Oilers keep giving up a lot of goals. Holland has made bad picks and botched the development of players too.

The Oilers are in win now mode. To get a difference maker you have to give up something that hurts. If you don't, you end up with Duncan Keith and Milan Lucid type reclamation projects

spaghtti

Oct 13, 2013
Ethan Bear, Caleb Jones, Klefbom. Off the top of my head.

I'm not saying they're not in a better spot. I'm not saying they should make a trade. I'm saying that Oilers fans seem to get a bit optimistic about their D prospects while the Oilers keep giving up a lot of goals. Holland has made bad picks and botched the development of players too.

The Oilers are in win now mode. To get a difference maker you have to give up something that hurts. If you don't, you end up with Duncan Keith and Milan Lucid type reclamation projects
So you are saying Bear, Klefbom and Jones are not NHL worthy ? These are not players that haven’t made the a name for themselves.
And yeah the Oilers didn’t have depth enough to trade away these players without upgrades and yes Ceci and Keith are upgrades on Jones and Bear

Now I’m curious of the bad picks Holland has made?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad